Microwaves turn kitchen cloths into germ killers

cy

Flashaholic
Microwaves turn kitchen cloths into germ killers

"Two minutes in the microwave can kill 99 per cent of the germs harboured by kitchen sponges, scientists have found.

Dishcloths and sponges are known to breed microbes such as E. coli and salmonella, that can cause potentially lethal food poisoning.

But researchers in the U.S. have found that the microwave is an effective weapon against them.

Gabriel Bitton, professor of environmental engineering at the University of Florida, said: 'Basically what we find is that we can knock out most bacteria in two minutes. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...rticle_id=431023&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Whenever I'm starting to feel ill, I hop in my industrial-sized microwave for two minutes - I come out germ-free, and feeling great! :) I suppose a sponge would be no different!

LED BriCK

Enlightened
I've been microwaving sponges for 15 seconds for years. Looks like I probably accomplished nothing, will have to up the time!

cy

Flashaholic
damp sponge has a bit of water, would not worry about load to microwave. unless it's a tiny sponge :D

article stated syringes have been disinfected by microwave by running for 12 minutes. that's sounds like an autoclave function..

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has actually been around for quite a while. The moisture gets hot enough to sanitize the sponge or cloth. Simple and it works.

On a side note and not to say that some people are dumber than others, but I have had people try to tell me that after santizing their sponges like this they could use that sponge for a long time to just wipe everything and sanitize it. No cleaner, no sanitizer, just the amazing, magical microwaved sponge. They didn't get it that only the sponge gets sanitized. They don't have kitchens I want to eat in. Now, would I be cruel if I should suggest that they microwave their Brillo pads before they use 'em to smoke crack? Hey, look at all the pretty sparkles!

Back on topic, as stated in the article, yes, kitchen sponges really can have more bacteria on them than a toilet seat. Hey, Mom, what's for lunch? Cleaning the kitchen surfaces should not be a sometime thing. Dish cloths and sponges need to be cleaned and sanitized a heck of a lot more often. The stomach flu usually ain't a virus. Yum-o!

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use alot of paper towels. wasteful I know, but I use them sparingly as possible.
I even used to tear every paper towel in half. also I use a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide, sanitizes and keeps the butcher block stain free..

Brock

Flashaholic
It isn't the steam or hot water that does the sanitizing, it is because any bacteria have water in their body, and guess what happens to that water in the microwave. So you don't really need to get them wet first, as a matter of fact the extra water will absorb more of the microwaves that could be getting the little bugs ;)

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until bacteria has been completely dry for some time (it varies) a soaped sponge will still harbor live pathogens, if fact the warm water may increase the growth of such.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't have a dishwasher but maybe I'll wash my sponges in a clorox solution. I use rubber gloves when washing dishes anyway. I do get annoyed when someone wipes down my kitchen table or sink with the same sponges I use for dishes.

drizzle

Enlightened
chmsam said:
On a side note and not to say that some people are dumber than others, but I have had people try to tell me that after santizing their sponges like this they could use that sponge for a long time to just wipe everything and sanitize it.
Continuing the side note, and actually following the misleading title of the thread, there are products like Cashido that do claim to turn your sponge into a germ killer without any harmful or unpleasant effects. You can use it right on food they say. I've been tempted to buy one but they are pricey.

Latest posts