Malkoff
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: What was your first loved flashlight?

Default Re: What was your first loved flashlight?

My first flashlight ever was a Maglite Solitare, I still have it and it works fine. I still love the formfactor, I can't seem to find a good enough replacement today with a LED. So will probably get some drop in for it. After that I got a red AAA-mini mag copy (atleast I think it is, doesn't say maglite or anything on it). Years later I wanted something better, that had more light and I got a 2D Maglite. I remember bringing it out to a shool organized camp once. Almost everyone had those cheap gas station flashlights, white body with red plastic head and switch. Hardly no light from them, and I turned mine on... Boom! Man that was bright. That's when I feel in love with it.

I loved the mini Mag light. I wore it on my belt for work for years. It was a staple work tool for me. I still have a couple of them around as a backup light. Compaired to my PD-31 is is dismal, but I loved the Mini Mag.

I know this goes way back and it shows my age but this was my first... An Eveready 2 cell ribbed metal light with target switch.

http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Ever...Switch-2D-1957

A 2xAA Mini-Maglite. Since then I have spent way to much on lights.

I was going thorough some old mountaineering gear on the weekend, stuff I'd stored shortly after the 1970s, and found my last little Mallory 2AA flashlight, the flattened, curved plastic one recommended by Colin Fletcher in his second Complete Walker book, necessarily held together with a wind-around piece of Scotch Magic tape and still with the rocker switch similarly taped down (unfortunately, I'd left batteries inside it with predictable results). Old-guy nostalgia aside, my thought was 'my God, I trusted this cheap POS?' In the same box was a grey metal Wonder headlamp (a handheld 2C unit with it's own built-in lamp and reflector on the battery box, plus a plug-in headlamp attachement), that I'd completely rewired with Radio Shack switches, battery holders, and miniplugs. In memory, both were easily as bright and usable as lighting a match and holding it out on a pole. We've come a long way y'all.
    Last edited by Mr Bigglow; 02-29-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    It is better to light up one LED than to curse the darkness.

x2000. No joke. Came with a 18650 adapter and a 3xAAA adapter, and featured a Cree XR-E P4 bin emitter.

My first light I remember really liking was a black incandescent 2AA MiniMag. I was young and broke back then and put cheap batteries in it. They leaked, corroded the thread and man, was it a bear to open. It was pretty mangled - a table vice on one side and vice grips on the other side, but come he11 or highwater it was going to open. Nothing like battery acid on metal threads. 5 MagLites later I finally have a MiniMag again. It's green this time and LED. I rather like it better. But the black ones match better with all the upgrades, like the strike bezel and the tungsten carbide tipped glass breaking cap.
    Last edited by Mag-man; 03-01-2012 at 04:31 AM.

Incan- maglite
    LED- Brinkmann "long life" LEd

Unenlightened

My first beloved flashlight was a green boy scout flashlight with a 90 degree head. Back around 1970.

Flashaholic*

Eveready Yellow "Sport Gear" 2 Way with Lanyard

Hanging above the door of my tent, fall or winter of 2000.

It was funny finding it on flashlightmuseum, and seeing comments about how great they were in 2005, and people still wanting them in 2011

Mini mag 2-AA

T

4D mag light my grandfather gave it to me when I was 12 I still have it. Great light still works. 17 years later.

Definitely the one I bought new at a gunshow in 2002. The Surefire 6P(N) I still have today. It actually had the N designation on the package, I believe because it was the only model at the time that was certified by Surefire to be waterproof. They said that the minute you opened the lightto change the batteries, you officially negated the waterproofing and had to send it back to Surefire. lol
    Last edited by krevo; 03-23-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Flashaholic

Mini mag 2aa. My dad & i bought one each 20 years ago. They are green and they still work.

In the early 80's I got a AA Maglite. I loved the focus feature but found it too large for an EDC in my well lit city. I got their AAA for my keychain, a few years later and although I carried it, I never cared for it.
    Around 2009 I got a AAA from Brookstone for $10. It was really bright and I loved it. When it fell to the ground one too many times and stopped working I did a google search and discovered multi-level lights bought an ITP A3 and that turned me into a flashaholic

Solitaire for me... I keep two yet...

SFMI4UT
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...

The discovery of a lost knock-off AA Mag-lite (that someone had dropped in a field of waist high grass) which I had stumbled upon while trying to catch a football; that led to the discovery of Mag-lites once the bulb had burned out.

I discovered the actual Mag-lites at a local co-op store, tried one AA, found it superior to the knock-off in terms of fit and finish, bought one and still have it. It quickly became my EDC for many years (those days, led's weren't around yet) and it was used everywhere I went.

It basically started me on the road to appreciation for flashlights.

My first light was a AA x2 mini-mag light. However, currently loving my Ti preon 2 and using it daily!

Unenlightened

I always had a fascination with flashlights. Like some others, I started with the free Radio Shack grey D cell lights. Had a bunch of these, but couldn't afford to get batteries for them all. The one that I liked the most was the Mag-Lite 4D. It was bigger and brighter than anything else I had ever seen (at the time).

I'm a relatively new flashlight lover and the first light I loved is my Fenix LD20. I remember when I first wanted to buy a good flashlight for nighttime dog park trips, I was set on MagLite. I thought they were the Boss of flashlights at the time.

So I started doing research and man did I get an eye opener. I remember being amazed seeing these small flashlights like the LD20 crushing the output of a MagLite. I just assumed big was better.

Needless to say that after joining this forum for research, I have learned more than I thought was ever possible about flashlights and love it. But that LD20 will always be the first love for its performance, durability and reliability.

Unenlightened

A 3D Maglite, I didnt think lights could get much brighter (I still have it)
    Last edited by Camaroman_99; 03-28-2012 at 05:29 AM.

had a 2C Maglite from years back, and had it all the way up untill 2004 when I left it with a mate when I moved back home - left it with him as a goodwill gesture.

Now totally regretting it!!! Hayden James if your out there I want my Maglite 2C back!!!

Now have gone through another batch of Maglites 3D's (2 of) and a couple of sideupgrade'd 2AA Mags with the Nite Ize drop ins. Happy with them both and my newest the Mag 2D Pewter - I've fallen in love again, but not with the light production but the battery lasting performence!

AA Mini Maglite when I was about 9.

Enlightened

An eveready penlight (2 x AAA incandescent in about 1980) loved that torch when I was a kid. Runtime and brightness were pretty dismal by today's standards of course.
    I don't collect flashlights, I just happen to own rather a lot of them. Honest.

When I was a child, I found a military light from the german "Bundeswehr" in my father's garage with green and red colour, and I loved it. But this one doesn't exist anymore.
    Laterly, it was a 2AA-Mini-Maglite too, which was brighter than all the bigger lights at this time.
    This one still exists, and it's part of my flashlight collection, and surely it will never be modded!

Flashaholic*

Being a young CPF member (turning 18 in a few weeks), I haven't had much experiences with incans. When I was small(er) my parent kept buying me cheapo 5mm LED lights and they kept breaking...

My first expensive lights were LED Lensers, but I never enjoyed using them as much as my Maglite XL50. Even though I have bought several better lights including Fenix the LD20, TK12, TK45, sunwayman V10R, Olight i3. The Maglite is still my fa and most used light, I think because I am not worried about damaging it.

Flashaholic*

3d maglite.I got it as a christmas present from my parents sometime around 1990 I still have it but now it has a ledconversion and a glasslense oh and a new rubber for the switch because that was a little broken.

First loved flashlight would probably be the ARC LS:

My first loved flashlight was a Maglight 2C! Was around 1983, I still have it! I even got the Krypton bulb for $10.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415 LastLast