Mains XR-E Lamps

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Chaps.

I got in some sample Cree XR-E Mains Lamps:
cree-mains-lamps.jpg

These to me are the kind of thing for all future Lighting. I would like to offer these for sale on our web site.
To begin I would like to gauge interest here.
This particular lamp is 85-240 Volts 5 Watts!! In. Edison screw.
5 Cree XR-E LEDs Approx 500 lumens or equivalent to 40 watt Filament lamp.
Price aim is £20 - £25 each.

Please use this thread as a interest/sign up list.
No payments taken until I place a order.

I will be away 27th Jan - 5th Feb so please excuse no replies until my return.

:thanks:
Rob

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: AndyTiedye for adding this to your index, great idea.
I have just modified the price Aim.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I would be interested.

Is the screw-in part of the bulb the same size as
a normal bayonet fitting for ceiling bulbs?
(but with screw-in intstead)

So would this last a life-time then?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
It's interesting to see LED lighting trying to go mainstream, but I expect that LED lighting for buildings will eventually take another track.

LEDs look to be staying in the 0-5W category for quite some time. Even if they soon reach the suggested 200 lm/W efficiency limit, no single emitter is likely to generate more than 1000lm. A typical 100 watt incandescent bulb generates about 1900 lm if I recall, and it's trivial to generate more light than that in a typical screw-base fixture.

Many screw-base fixtures are great heat traps since they're designed for a device that radiates most of its heat away. Building a screw-in base of aluminum will only take you so far.

My expectation is that LED lighting will be eventually be designed into buildings using purpose-built fixtures. These fixtures will be semi-permanent and there will be far more of them than there are typical overhead light fixtures. Each will have a few emitters, some sort of diffusing optic, and signifigant heatsinking. I imagine that some sort of centralized AC-DC converter in the house will drive all the fixtures, so the wiring itself will be low-voltage. Given the realistic 20,000-50,000 hour lifespan of high-power LEDs when driven reasonably and properly heatsinked, they will be semi-permanent. Each fixture will probably be wholly replaced should any of the LEDs within fail.

DM51

Flashaholic
I would be interested if they were omnidirectional (diffuse) and equivalent in power and colour temperature to conventional 100w bulbs.

These look as if they will be directional, weak and blue-coloured. But I would love to be proved wrong there, as in principle this is a great idea.

Glen C

Enlightened
Rob, very interesting. Are the LED splayed to give a wider beam or is it all directed downwards? Just a thought, as bulbs generally radiate light from the element and light fittings are made taking that into account. Great idea :)

Enjoy your skiing

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the glass dome really should be frosted, otherwise the light pattern will the too narrow and painful to the eyes. It needs some sort of light diffuser, aside from that, it's a great idea.