Brainstorming help needed with "Walking" kit

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Hi,

Ok, I'm re-evaluating my emergency kit I have in my vehicles. In case of an emergency which takes out roads and vehicles (such as a major earthquake (I live in Ca).

My wife works at a School so I don't have to worry too much about her necessities such as food and water. Since she is required to stay there for up to 72 hours to help facilitate shelter for the kids, their needs are taken care of.

I have in her car the basic necessities such as light, blanket etc. I on the other hand would have to walk a days worth to get there (from work) and I just realized that my bag is just too big to haul with me. I'm redoing my kit as follows:

-1 small Camelback with pockets
-1 gallon water (which I'll dump into the camelback before heading out)
-First aid Kit
-Gerber Multitool
-Cliff Shot Energy gels
-Mil-Spec Strobe
-Small FM Radio with Lithium AAs
-Inova X5t
-SF G2
-Spares carrier with batteries and lamp
-GMRS 2 watt Radio with Lithium AAs installed
(my thinking is that if the earthquake or some other civil disturbance is preventing me from driving home, the cell sites and phones will be out. I need a way to communicate to find my wife, she knows to get the radio from her car and turn it on)
-I'll have my service gun to thwart any unlawful individuals getting in my way

This is not a survival kit, just something I can strap on and walk home after a major disaster (like the San Fransisco quake). I'm confident in our governmental services enough not to keep a "survival" kit on-hand. I want to keep away from anything alkaline or rechargeable.

Am I missing something that you can think of? Thanks

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I think you have the basics covered in your walking bag. I would think the amount of time you think that you could be walking will dictate the amount of water carried (1 day, I would take about 1/2 gal instead and cut weight). I would think about adding a decent folding knife to compliment the multitool. To bolster the Gel Shots I would watch the sales and pick up a few regular Cliff or Powerbars. The gels are good but you will use the energy quickly. One last thought, what will you be wearing if you walk? I keep the extra clothing items in the Jeep too so I can change for the weather before I walk.

I have a similar walking bag. The difference for me is that I know that if I have to walk I may have to be out in the weather for about 2 days. I have added a few cheap extras like 2 tea lites wrapped in foil, a sportsmans or space blanket, travel sized pill box with asperin, tums, etc, a bit of 550 paracord, extra cash, and film can of quarters. You get the idea. I was able to get it down to a 6.5lb pack with out water.

I decided on the contents of the walking bag by studying the areas I would have to walk while driving through them. You can do the same. Let us know what the final list amounts to.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Good ideas, thanks! I'm adding a Benchmade CQC7 (I EDC a Stryker) and money to the kit as we speak. A jacket in the trunk is a good idea in case it's cold. I've actually had to change a flat at night once and I almost froze because I was in a T-shirt!

Aspirin, Electrolyte tablets, poncho and space blanket came with the first aid kit.

The Camelback only holds 70oz so it's much less than a gallon.

Good point about the Cliff bars. I'll have to stop by Sport Chalet tomorrow for some.

What do you think about a 60 minute pre-paid phone card? At Walmart for $5. In case my cellphone does not work but payphones do.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
how about bandades and gauze, needles and string, etc.

if you are exiting a building and a brick falls on your arm and you need to stitch yourself up or repair yourself in any way, these would be some lightweight and relatively small items you can carry.

i've always wanted to carry morphene around in case i get shot or something
grin.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Those are in the First Aid Kit. I went nuts and bought a "deluxe" one that has everything but the Morphine
grin.gif

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
A phone card is a good idea
icon14.gif
. I think I will add that and take the film can of quarters out. That reduces the weight a bit.

One other little item I forgot to mention in my bag that has come in handy more than once was a little golf pencil with eraser that I wrapped about 3 feet of duct tape around. I need to replenish the tape supply. Good multi use stuff that adds no real weight or bulk to the walking bag.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good list of items, maybe add an all season uniform?

In case of an extreme emergency we have to report to the closest (our departments) police station and report for duty.

arioch

Enlightened
-pocket/hand warmers.
-trioxane/hexamine fuel bars.
-weatherproof matches/magnesium strikers.
-water purification tablets/aerobic 7(diatomic oxygen for water purification).

All of these are relatively lightweight and take up little space.
smile.gif

A good source of information on this subject would be www.nitro-pak.com .

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I carry a bag like that every day - like most folks who commute to NYC, I don't commute to work by car - I take mass transit (Train to the subway). Now my bag goes a BIT overboard , but most everything in it has come in useful at some point You can see my bag Here

A couple of things you missed

A change of socks and undies - ask any grunt what a change of socks can mean

A couple of ziploc bags - all around useful - pack your gear in them!

You may want to check that phone card - some expire

One way to save weight (gasp) is to change flashlights - I'm getting ready to ditch all my CR123 lights, as I need to carry AAs for my other gear - yep, the Surefire is going into the backup gear, and the ARC LS with the AA pack will be my prime

You probably want to add a waterproof marker and paper (Medium tip is GOOD) - This way you can leave notes for anyone you need to.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Surefire M6,

You've got a plenty comprehensive kit going.

Perhaps you might want to add a pair of leather gloves if you needed to move debris.

Something else to consider is a pen and paper. Nalgene makes a waterproof paper tablet and it might come in handy if you left a note on your car saying that the driver was OK and walking home.

EDIT - Another good idea is the Adventure Medical Personal Essentials kit. Besides the usual first aid, it has a whistle, matches, waterproof blanket and some other goodies. Here is the link to their site.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

yup CharlesG. , socks, and boots. was rain gear mentioned? and something simple (at least) to filter air for breathing..
and (seconding jeepin') a little tape for skin, clothes, and repair.. and a sun/rain hat...

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Wow, still more good Ideas! Thanks guys. A hepa breathing filter would be a good idea. I remember all the dust and debris in the air in NYC after the attacks. Alot of those people had to walk home for many many miles breathing all that stuff.

I wear tough shoes and carry kevlar gloves with me on the job so I'm covered there. As for the other stuff like matches and purification tablets, I'm not worried about long term. Our govermental services can get to any emergency within a day or so, and with my deparment radio I can radio for help if needed. Nearby radio towers may be out but there are thousands of officers carrying portable HTs.

Wolfen,

Good point. Thats a tough one though. Would you make sure your family was safe first before you report in? If phones were out?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think mine is even more over the top than Charles', but here's my "walking" kit. It doubles as a car kit, but I have some additional stuff in the car (extra water, clothes mostly). I also carry my laptop to and from work in it (in a sleeve) and my digital camera.

More and larger detail. [page updated 2003-02-16 - hit reload]

innercompartment-160x120.jpg

innercompartment-detail-160x120.jpg

climbing-160x120.jpg

outercompartment-160x120.jpg

medical-160x120.jpg

radios-160x120.jpg

tools-160x120.jpg

edc-160x120.jpg

Kelty Redwin 2400 pack

Columbia Sportswear Kazoo hat - Warm hat with ear flaps.
ANSI class II safety vest
Patagonia expedition weight top (non-rain gear clothes items now packed in waterproof stuff sack)
Rain coat
Rain pants
Pair Smartwool socks
Dust masks
Krill Extreme 180
AirSOG
White Photon II on retractable tether
15" Titanium crowbar
Dog food (for my dog)
70 ounce Camelbak, filled with water
Pouch, for GPS, Radio, Cell, etc.
Lithium AA cells
AAA cells
Surefire 123A cells
Lithium coin cells
150' 3 mm New England Tech cord (3000lb)
Black Diamond Alpine Bod harness
Carabiners
Signal mirror
Can opener
Windmill windproof lighter
Iodine tablets
Gookinaid Hydrolyte sports drink mix
Band Aids
Sterile pads
Gauze
Waterproof tape
Sucrets sore throat lozenges
Neosporin+Pain cream
Tylenol
aspirin
Sudafed
Benadryl Allergy
Tums
Carmex
spare contact lenses
Artificial tears
Razor blades
Digital thermometer
Small scissors
Small diagonal cutters
Anti itch treatment
Sun block
(4) latex gloves (not pictured)
Area maps
Compass
Garmin Vista GPS
Monocular
Waterproof pad w/Space pen
Solid Al mechanical pencil
Spare keys
Camera lens cleaner pen
Spare glasses
Croakies glasses retainer
UK 2L
2AA MiniMag w/Newbeam w/ Kroll tailcap and glass lens (Li batteries)
3LED/3AAA headlamp
Nite Eze light headband
Fiberglass filament tape
Duct tape
Electrical tape?! Not sure how this ended up in here - I'll remove that
Pair of Yaesu VX-5 Radios
Emergency battery pack for VX-5
Space blankets
Neoprene waterproof gloves
Short hacksaw
30' Spectra cord
Leather gloves soaked in waterproofing
Diamond sharpener
Small and tiny slotted and philips screwdrivers
Multibit screwdriver
Pliers
Small vice scripts
Heavy duty diagonal cutters

EDC

Surefire M2 w/LOLA
Surefire E1 w/KL1 LED lamp assembly
CMG Infinity Ultra w/Li cell
Spare batteries
Serbertool Multitool
Chris Reeve Small Sebenza

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello SurefireM6,

It sounds like you have a good kit and some good suggestions have been mentioned here.

I am involved with the Boy Scouts and their motto is "Be Prepared."

I just added two things to my kit that you might be interested in. A tube of Super Glue to hold cuts together, and something called BleedX. The BleedX is a potato derivatave used in operating rooms to control severe bleeding. I have been trained to use direct pressure and pressure points to control bleeding, but invision yourself with a group of Scouts 30 miles from help and someone is chopping wood with an axe and misses. I would use direct pressure first, but if there were problems, I feel the BleedX would help. It also might help in a disaster situation.

Tom

Raven

Enlightened
breathing filter
rain boots (for walking through contaminated area)
poncho

you and your wife could have matching orange umbrellas - great way to find each other in a huge crowd

or matching bird callers - same idea

chalk for marking a wall or area

Raven

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now watch everyone have identical umbrellas.
grin.gif

How about either an adjustable height folding cane. I have one and it is very robust. I also have an aluminum telscoping walking stick. The cane when in its pouch, will fit in a standard daypack. The walking stick can be used as a cane, though the shock spring makes this iffy for routine use in cane mode.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have an aluminum walking stick that turns into a spear, and/or a blowgun! Got a camera mount on it too. It's called a 'survival stick' I think..will post info here when I get it..
...well what do you know, the website of one our esteemed members carries it, a little more expensive than when I got it 12 years ago..

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/hiking_&_survival_staff.htm

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Ok, thanks all for your input. I just finished up both kits for me and my wife. The final list for each kit I put together:

-1 small Camelback with pockets
-1/2 gallon water (which will get dumped into the camelback)
-First aid Kit with everything but morphine
-Gerber Multitool
-Benchmade CQC7
-Cliff Shot Energy gels
-CLiff Bars
-Mil-Spec Strobe
-Small FM Radio with Lithium AAs
-Inova X5t White/Titanium
-SF G2 Yellow
-Spares carrier with batteries and lamp
-GMRS 2 watt Radio with Lithium AAs installed
-Garmin GPS Rino 120 integrated 2-way radio w/position transmitter (Lithium AAs)
-2pack hepa filter
-raingear pack
-Highway blanket (the yellow kind the police use)
-60 minute phone card from Walmart (expires in 15 months)

This all fit into Camelback LOBOs supprisingly. They are now sitting unobtrusively in both trunks of our vehicles. I have a duffle bag with tons of duty gear I carry to and from work so I'll probably tear into that if $&^% hits the fan too.

I feel confident that this will be sufficient to help us find each other with no electricity or phone. I may sound a bit paranoid but this situation actually happened to a close friend of mine recently. With phone system down, he could not find his wife for 18 hours having to walk home! That's got to be the worst feeling in the world.

Again, thanks for your help!

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Ted,

I do have a German Shep
smile.gif

I went to Sport Chalet to look at some walking sticks that you suggested, I couldn't find any I liked though. They were from $25 (wooden) to $121 metal expandable. I didn't find any blowgun canes either.
grin.gif