Help recommend an under $50 keychain light for a friend

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend has been using a L0PSE as a keychain light for a while but finds it too long. I like to pick up a smaller light as a gift, but I'm drawing a blank on what to get. Looking for something:

- shorter than an AAA light. The light should be as short as possible. CR2 is probably ideal
- less than or about $50
- single or multi-level is ok
- I'm willing to shop the WTB and BST, so an out of production light is ok

Can I get some recommendations? This is the only thing I've been able to come up with:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1062

If anyone has a light that fits these criteria FS, please PM me.

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he'd prefer a brighter light over multiple modes and programming. Thanks for the suggestion though.

dasanii19

Enlightened
I have an ORB RAW NS for sale, Its $95 shipped so it may be a little more then what you want to spend.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I've been eyeing that one, but it's a little outside my budget. If you decide to lower the price, let me know!

BTW, does it have any trits?

paulr

Flashaholic
Here's some 10mm fauxtons that might be brighter than the Photon's 5mm led.

I don't know any low cost cr2 lights other than the one you linked to just there. cr2's aren't that much shorter than AAA's anyway. Maybe you could chop an L0P battery tube down to use the 1/3AAA NiMH cells that those little tiny model race cars use. Runtime would be minimal but the light would be real small.

arty

Enlightened
There is a Peak Pacific pocket Cr2 version that should be at the top end of your price requirement.
You can also get in an ultra power version directly from Peak. Check with them about this option.
The pocket body is 2 3/8 inches long.
Another possibility is the Peak Mckinley. It is a CR123, but is about the same size as the Pacific if in Pocket format.

Jerry_S

Newly Enlightened
The Peak Matterhorn lights are listed on Spyder Tactical Supply website. Range in price from 29.95 to 34.95 depending on body material. They offer 20% discount to CPF'ers. They are listed in the sticky thread in dealers corner. I hope this may help.
Jerry

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave one of those black Smartfire B-13W lights to my brother for his keychain and he absolutely loves it. Small but bright.
You could also add a protected rechargeable CR2 cell and charger to the list and still be well under your budget.

Your friend will love not having to buy batteries for it and will tell you you're a genius.

It's even brighter on a 3.6 volt rechargeable as compared to what you get from a throw away 3.0 volt lithium CR2.

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
copiertech said:
if you can wait a few weeks how about an ultrafire c1?

I'm interested, but can't find info on this light. Do you have links to pics or info?

cdosrun

Enlightened
A Fenix P1 is a little shorter than the AAA cell based Fenices. Personally, I find it too bulky for a keyring, is it the length that is the only consideration, or is he after something as slim as the L0P-SE as well?

The Fenix E0 is also shorter than the L0P-SE, but the reduction in light output is considerable.

Andrew

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Width is a consideration too, I think a 123 light would be too bulky as well.

loveit

Enlightened
The Fenix E0 is shorter and narrower than the LOP and is a great AAA light, but it is only one level. Run time is awesome, as is the price, $20 shipped.