That was easy! (Installing Linux)

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
All right, guess what I'm using? Mandrake Linux 9.1. The installation was very easy and took me lass than 30 minutes. WOW. Let's see if I can figure this thing out...

Saaby

Flashaholic
Went with Mandrake eh? I did Mandrake first but found there is much much more support out there for Redhat. Well ok I was a sucker for RPMs too and then somone said something to the effect of "You idiot, Mandrake supports RPMs"

Heh heh, that's ok.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it. Are you dual booting?

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I'm dual booting with Windows XP. The problem was that 9.0 didn't have support with NTFS file systems (Windows XP) so I had to redownload 9.1 for two hours (thank goodness I have cable!)

RPM's? I'm new to this stuff, so I would like some help.

Tomas

Banned
Too bad you still have Windoze on the machine.
wink.gif

Good luck, and happy 'puting!
grin.gif

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

Saaby

Flashaholic
What you waiting for from UPS?

When you go to download stuff for Linux, or more specifically when you go to install it, you'll find it's a mess. The stuff isn't easy to install (for beginners anyway). The crutch that kept me running Linux was the RPM. RPM is for "Redhat Package Manager" and it brings point and click installing to Linux (although I'd reccomend you install RPMs from the Shell--it's much faster).

I hear bad things about RPMs--I mear it's really not a very good system at all but it'll work until you (And I) learn to get along without it.

Saaby

Flashaholic
But the first thing you want to learn to use is SU and CHMOD. I use these 2 commands more than anything else. Open a terminal window and type "SU". It'll ask for a Password, put in your root password (You DO have a separate root acount correct?) then you'll be logged in as Root.

CHMOD is a little more complex but if you look around on the internet you should be able to find good instructions. It's not toooo difficult but there are so much good documentation for it out there I won't bother trying to write my own here
tongue.gif

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, right now I'm waiting for my Surefire batteries. Supposed to come tomorrow, but since I'm in that darn blizzard, I don't know if it'll come on time...

Ooooh, interesting stuff... but the MIDDLE MOUSE button doesn't work!! Argh....
frown.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Sure the middle mouse button works.

Hey I have Gaim open and I'll go open X-Chat and long into CPF Chat. So go find Gaim on that Linux computer (I'm sure it's installed) and log into AIM with it or meet me in chat.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to explicitly select your mouse, otherwise it defaults to a standard 2 button mouse. I have a Logitech Cordless Mouseman Optical. I selected Logitech Mouseman and I have everything but the thumb button (which I rarely use). I got it for 2 reasons: optical and cordless (radio).

I use Mandrake Linux 9.0 Powerpack Edition and I nearly had a heart attack when I saw you were using 9.1, but, I see it is still in Beta.

RPM: Redhat Package Manager

Mandrake can use redhat RPMs and uses urpmi which works better than RPM.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I installed a Mandrake version of Linux (I think ver 7) a couple of years ago in a win98 dual boot system. I found it wasn't user friendly at all. Was hard to even get my soundblaster card to work properly. I ended up giving up on it. I don't recall it crashing much so I guess stability is one of it's strong suits. What are the advantages of running Linux in a home system, anyway? Can you easily view CPF?

Anarchocap

Enlightened
Actually SU is a "Switch User" command. You can type in a username after the SU and if you know the password, you can be somebody else. SU with nothing after it defaults to root.

CHMOD is a file permission command that can be bit based or parameter based. There are three groups of settings for each file for three different sets of users. You can select a read/write/execute permission for the file's owner/group/other.

own grp oth
--- --- ---
rwx rwx rwx

If you are a real computer geek, the easiest way to use CHMOD is to use the bits. EG. Permissions for all access permissions would be CHMOD 777. Because the bits would look like this:

421 421 421
own grp oth
--- --- ---
111 111 111

RWX for owner, read and execute for group, and execute for everyone else would be CHMOD 751 and look like this:
111 101 001

If you ever want to learn about commands and their parameters, type "man command|more". Hope that helps out...

Saaby

Flashaholic
Octcal is easy! I have a little card I made myself and I think I have it somewhere around here (On the internet I mean) if you want to print it--I'll try and find it.

geepondy, Linux can run Netscape 7.0 and about a dozen other browsers based on Netscape's core. Netscape 6 was a nightmare but 7 is awesome! I don't even miss IE.

It's a stable OS and you get to say "I'm a nerd and I run Linux" but other than that there isn't much point for the average user. It's great for servers. It's not great for the masses and their desktops--yet.

I tried it because I wanted to make sure I'd be able to get Linux up and running when (and/or if) Windows came out with all this palidum crap. I liked it enough I stuck with it.

Tomas

Banned
Oops, I gave a "clasic UNIX answer" rather than a modern UNIX clone answer.
grin.gif

Originally posted by Gun Nut:
Actually SU is a "Switch User" command. You can type in a username after the SU and if you know the password, you can be somebody else. SU with nothing after it defaults to root ...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In Linux and some UNIX variants (notably BSD csh variants) it is true that the superuser command was renamed "substitute user," "switch user,"or "set user."

In the original AT&T UNIX systems, since System 1 in 1972, and through at least System 7 it was the superuser command. My old Bell Labs "UNIX System III" manual (1981) shows it as being the super user command.

From my '84 SCO UNIX system's "man su" file:

Maintenance Commands su(1M)

NAME
su - become super user or another user

SYNOPSIS
su [ - ] [ username [ arg ... ] ]

DESCRIPTION
The su command allows one to become another user without
logging off or to assume a role. The default user name is
root (super user).

To use su, the appropriate password must be supplied (unless
the invoker is already root). If the password is correct, su
creates a new shell process that has the real and effective
user ID, group IDs, and supplementary group list set to
those of the specified username. The new shell will be the
shell specified in the shell field of username's password
file entry (see passwd(4)). If no shell is specified,
/usr/bin/sh is used (see sh(1)). To return to normal user ID
privileges, type an EOF character (<CTRL-D>) to exit the new
shell.

Any additional arguments given on the command line are
passed to the new shell. When using programs such as sh, an
arg of the form -c string executes string using the shell
and an arg of -r gives the user a restricted shell.

The following statements are true if the login shell is
/usr/bin/sh or an empty string (which defaults to
/usr/bin/sh) in the specific user's password file entry. If
the first argument to su is a dash (-), the environment will
be changed to what would be expected if the user actually
logged in as the specified user. Otherwise, the environment
is passed along, with the exception of $PATH, which is
controlled by PATH and SUPATH in /etc/default/su. Addition-
ally, the user's project ID is set if the dash argument is
present. See settaskid(2)

All attempts to become another user using su are logged in
the log file /var/adm/sulog (see sulog(4)).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">(and on for another 4 pages ... )

Guess I'm out of date or too welded to the original UNIX.

Sorry.

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

Anarchocap

Enlightened
Yup, I must be new school then. Learned on Berkley w/ C Shell for my degree, used Solaris at work. Now I am dabbling on HP-UX and Perl also at work. We've got Linux and AIX too, just never run into them yet.

Won't hold it against you though! It is Unix after all! Just 'cuz I learned it on one version doesn't mean its the same on a different one!!