Need an EDC knife. Newbie here.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm new to knives, but often enough I need to cut something.
Either a box with too much tape or some rope or belts used to tie things down that need to be removed in a hury. I'm in the media and broadcasting business also, so often enough, wires and cables are a hazard. I also do jobs in the Amazon jungle, but instead of haulin' a machete, I would just need a knife to cut some branches or pick some flowers for me lady. :)

It needs to fit in a belt holster and must not be too long so it will hinder when I sit. Foldable is fine, but when folded, the blade must not be seen, as not to frighten the unknown.

Thanks for your help !

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have many good choices, check out bladeforums or knifeforums for lots of threads with pics.

Qben

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but check out www.hideawayknife.com
One of the great things about these knives is that you don't have to put the knife down if you need to use your hands.
They have a custom fitted utility model for $70.
I bought one recently and it is all I ever see myself carrying from here on out.
Qben

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to check out these classics that are very popular with a wide range of knive enthusiasts:

Spyderco Military (4 inch blade, flat ground) in either standard S30V steel with G10 handles or the limited edition BG-42 steel and carbon fiber handle.

Benchmade's 710 in D2 (semi stainless) or CPM154 (stainless) with an axis lock is also an awesome knife.

A really heavy duty knife is the Spyderco Manix with a big leaf blade in S30V steel.

The Spyderco Caly III is a great cutter, too.

Benchmade's Rukus in S30V steel and an axis lock is a very large folder and is very rugged and well made.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went though this and everyone seemed recommend the Benchmade Griptilian or Mini Griptilian. They are about $50-60 US. If you want to spend a little over $100 US go for the Ritter Griptilian which a better steel (S30V?). I'm holding out for a good deal on a used one, but I plan to get one.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like what you really need is a good Swiss Army Knife
(Good = Victorinox or Wenger).

Much less expensive than the others suggested here, and does so much more.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in the same boat as you, and I purchased a Syderco endura 4 wave. I am really satisfied with this knife. It is a little bigger than I imagined, but it is so thin that it rides nicely in my jeans pocket. And I absolutely love the wave feature, when I pull it out to show people they think I have a switch blade or something :naughty: You should check one out...

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
slightly under $50: Spyderco Delica or Endura
About $100: Spyderco Military or the somewhat smaller Caly 3.

All these are offered with serrated or plain edge so you can choose what suits your needs the best.

Sverre

braindoc

Newly Enlightened
I have gone through a few knives as EDC so far, such as Benchmade 730, 720 and 710, Spyderco Delica and Kershaw Chive. For me the just right size, pivot smoothness and lock security has been the Benchmade 730, of which I now have 2 in the rotation. Sadly, this model has been discontinued. It can still be found used or occasionally new on some store shelves.

Good luck on your quest.

braindoc

luigi

Enlightened
Ditto to many of the recommendations here.

I usually carry either a Spyderco Delica4 or a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian, can't decide which one is best so I rotate them. They are both great and not very expensive yet the quality is superb.

Luigi

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a military for a while. I still miss the hell out of it. I keep thinking it's around here somewhere. For your purposes I'd stay away from the larger knives that might scare the sheeple (especially the wave that opens so fast). Instead I'd go with a good folding contractors boxcutter knife. I have this one and nothing is better for cutting boxes all day.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Spring-Assisted...ox-Cutter_W0QQitemZ110020428170QQcmdZViewItem

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking into different models as I type,
would anyone recommend me (or not) a Benchmade 310 Benchmite ?
http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=310

I also noticed it's bigger brother 3100 Auto-Benchmite:
http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=3100

(disregarding laws) Would you recommend (or not) any of these two ?
They both have a great closed length of 2.85".
The blade I need, should be able to cut items that might be in the way.
For example, you never have a knife when you need to open a box.
You never (I don't) have a knife when a strapped-down speaker (or anything else)
NEEDS to be removed and the winch has jammed.
Should I go on, I think you guy know what I'm talking about ?
As a flaslight-EDC, I explain these things too tot non-flashaholics :)

Cheers everyone !

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the Benchmites - low end Benchmade and not really much of a task knife - more a girly purse knife if you ask me :D And too small for much real world use. I second the Benchmade Griptilians and my Benchmade Ritter Grip has been an EDC for a couple years now - awesome knife and lightweight enough to be an easy EDC. And it's S30V - one of the better steels for a knife although 154CM is a close second IMO.

UWSDWF

Newly Enlightened
My EDC is the Coldsteel Tanto Voyager Lg. .... straightblade of course
It holds its blade really well and I have used it for everything under the sun.
The handle takes a good beating aswell, I 've used it as a hammer on many occasions

clarkston_cz

Newly Enlightened
I'm selling my large Classic Sebenza, due to the fact that it is too big and heavy for edc.
My other half, she got me a Spyderco Police model for Xmas, and I'm somewhat happy about it. This is the knife that she wants me to carry..

Not a CRK product, but suitable for edc with my CZs.

carrot

Flashaholic
Sounds like you need a blade with serrations. I would recommend a serrated Spyderco Delica 4, about $45 and has a very nice pocket clip. When it goes dull, you can send it to Spyderco for free sharpening or you can touch up the blade with a Sharpmaker. Or if you're not fully sold on the idea of serrations (Spyderco's are the best I've used!) try a comboedge Delica 4.

Or if you're looking for a small knife like the Benchmite, I would recommend the Spyderco Cricket SS SE (fully serrated). This little knife is small enough to be inoffensive to most, large enough to easily handle for most people, and easily cuts through packaging and rope.

guyg

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to second the Swiss Army Knife. For 50-60 dollars ,you can get two with different options and still have money left over for a Vic Classic.
SAK's are also people friendly.

jHO

Newly Enlightened
I've heard a lot of positive information on the Boker Subcom knives. Their small, available with serrations and sheeple friendly.

But i recommended you go to BladeForums.com and ask this question there.