ArmyTek
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight GT in Florida

Flashaholic*

Default Flashlight GT in Florida

GTs are always fun and it would be advantageous to combine it with the show. As far as tickets, we are quite limited to how many people we can let in as "booth reps". But, we are not limited to how many "VIPs" we can invite. The difference is the VIPs have to pay $15/piece. At least this is how it was setup for the last show.

Back to the GT... We used to do these for my first business (a 22 line BBS). My best friend did (and can still do) the DJ'ing. We would rent a hall someplace (at the hotel we all stay at?), eat pizza and subs, give away stuff, wear our t-shirts, play with new products, do shoot outs, invite other manufacturers, nighttime demonstrations, etc.

If it is going to be an official Arc sanctioned event it would be a no alcohol deal so you could bring the whole family.

The reviewers would be strongly encouraged to come. I talked to Craig about putting together a fund to send him to the last show but I started too late so we postponed the idea. I would definitely like him, his one-of-a-kind LED-lit wheelchair and good part of his collection to make it to the event.

If you want to do this, I will organize it and ask some of you to pitch in for various things.

We would start out with a suggestions phase and then lock the features of the event and get into the organization phase. We should start taking ideas now and then start them into motion around September or so.

Here are some ideas to get started:

- webcam some of the events so people who canít make it can join in somewhat
    - Pizza/Subs/Sodas
    - Prizes
    - Music
    - Flashlight tag game for the kids
    - For sale items (flashlights, shirts, caps)
    - Meet cool people (you!)
    - Stay at the same hotel, group rate
    - Night demonstrations and product comparisons
    - Prototypes
    - Invite other manufacturers (Tech Associates, Lightwave, etc)
    - Party each night of the convention. Schedule demos, etc during the week.
    - T shirt, "I partied with 100 brightly lit flash-a-holics and all I got where spots in my eyes and this t-shirt".

One more thing, let me know if you are interested in this. Even the cheap GTís cost several hundred dollars to put together so I want to make sure this is what you really want.

Peter Gransee

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Flashlight GT in Florida

As requested, this topic was moved from the "Thank you" thread to it's very own thread.

Peter

Peter...

A new thread on this topic is a good idea. (I hate to say it, but Darell was actually right on target when he made that suggestion. Imagine that...Darell, of all people.)

Please go ahead and close my "Thank You" thread. It definitely served my purpose, and I personally wish to thank all of the kind CPF`ers who took the time to post there.

Now...let`s see if anything can actually develop with an Arc festival in "Walter World". I can`t make any firm committment yet...but I`ll look long and hard at it.

And BTW, I firmly agree. It`s important that we get Craig to Walter World at no cost to him. He`s undoubtedly the most deserving person on the CPF. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So let the new venture begin. On to Walter World!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cool Daddy Administrator

After much arduous head-scratching, I finally determined that Peter's "GT" means Get Together. At first I thought we were gonna have a Grand Tourismo to Florida, but I couldn't figure out how that fit in...

And onto the subject at hand: I'd just LOVE to do this Walt World, Peabody Petering thing next year, but I honestly don't know how I'd swing it. Getting to the other side of the country with a toddler and a wife who couldn't give an flashlight doodley would be just about insurmountable. Who knows though, maybe we'll have another convention in Florida next year (we travel on my wife's business quite a bit).

Can somebody include the dates over on this thread just so we're all on the same page?

According to Walt`s posts on the "Thank You" thread, the next SHOT show will be held in the Orlando, Florida area February 13-16.

Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall be forged anew, THATS RIGHT IT'S RETROFIT TIME

hey ill be 19 (almost 20) then so ill be there ill have to save up but ill be there maybe quickbeam an i could drive down there( cheaper and the company would be nice).
    this sounds good

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
    Back to the GT... We used to do these for my first business (a 22 line BBS). My best friend did (and can still do) the DJ'ing. We would rent a hall someplace (at the hotel we all stay at?), eat pizza and subs, give away stuff, wear our t-shirts, play with new products, do shoot outs, invite other manufacturers, nighttime demonstrations, etc.

If it is going to be an official Arc sanctioned event it would be a no alcohol deal so you could bring the whole family.

The reviewers would be strongly encouraged to come. I talked to Craig about putting together a fund to send him to the last show but I started too late so we postponed the idea. I would definitely like him, his one-of-a-kind LED-lit wheelchair and good part of his collection to make it to the event.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds more fun than a barrel of monkeys. A suitcase stuffed full of flashlights is going to look awfully strange in the x-ray machine though. They'll probably make me take off my shoes after seeing that on the monitor. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I would also opt for the "dry" (no alcohol) get-together. If somebody wanted to get hammered, they could BYOB back to their hotel room or go club hopping at the end of the day.

If I were able to come, there would be some additional logistical issues to tackle. Transportation would probably be #1. Putting a 400 pound motorized wheelchair in the trunk of a rental car just won't work. Not to mention I can't rent anything or drive anything other than my own chair.

General wheelchair accessibility (including to bathroom and rest areas) at any event or person's home I show up at would also be a prerequisite. There are a couple of other smaller issues that involve the hotel or motel rooms & accessibility/medical issues, but nothing that couldn't be resolved before showtime. Hopefully there will not be a mandatory "black tie only" dinner, as I do not have a suit & tie, nor would I be very comfortable if forced to wear them. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

As for which lights to bring along, I know my Light Cannon HID will be there as it is affixed to my wheelchair to function as my headlight. I may also bring my Arc-LS prototype so other CPFers can gawk at the rare artifact for themselves. The PT Surge is my brightest incandescent, so that will probably come along. And my green laser pointer needs to be there too. Beyond that, I'm open to suggestions as to what I should and should not bring.

Flashaholic*

Count me in folks! I like the idea of a family oriented environement for the GT.

Peter,
    Great ideal. Let me know if there's any legwork I can do for you from Orlando.

Craig,
    Same goes for you. I think we would all like to meet you in person.

There's plenty of time so let's make sure we get this setup.

Administratior

If people are really going there are about 10 hotel's right around there, ranging from about $85 to over $200 (Peabody). The last convention I went to was there and I stayed at the Embassy for something like $125. I can't say if I am going, I really want to, but it all depends on work. I also am a "dry" person, not that I mind drinking, I just don't.

Hey...

"Dry" is fine.

With Crystal vodka running at $30.00 a liter, the fewer imbibers I have to supply drinks for, the better!

(Don`t worry, guys, I`ll make sure to bring more than enough for the rest of us...for after the "GT"!)

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I hope you guys don't mind. I created a forum for this and I'm moving this thread there.

Flashaholic*

One more thing. The Peabody is a VERY expensive hotel. Not sure what everyone is willing to spend per night but I'll see about finding a less expensive (but still nice) hotel close to the convention center. Those that are serious can email me at chip.hopkins@signatureflight.com so I'll have an idea of how many rooms we'll need.

Flashaholic*

Sounds like fun. Where in Florida would this take place? Roughly when?

Never been to Florida, or the US at all, on a leisure trip. Only 2 business trips to Dallas, and all I saw was Dallas and the inside of airports.

If the event looks fun enough to justify the trip, I reckon I might try and come over..(although I might have fun getting my stuff through customs - "So what are all these, Sir?" "Flashlights? A flashlight convention?" "Yeah, rrright. Please come with us, Sir..")

Graham

Any old fleabag motel not in the highest crime district would be ok with me. For medical reasons, sharing a room would not be the best idea in my case, so just find me something cheap, with its own john, and on the 1st floor (or on any floor as long as it's serviced by an elevator); and I'll be a happy camper. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cool Daddy Administrator

I kinda figgured the Peabody was spendy. But what do I know? My wife's company paid for our stay last year. I don't think they have trained ducks at the Motel8, but I'm guessing we could probably do without them. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- Darell

Flashaholic*

Walt, is there hotel nearby that you would recommend? Doesn't have to be fancy since we won't be in our rooms most of the day anyways. Must have wheelchair access and a meeting room. A shuttle to the convention center would be nice too.

Peter Gransee

As a side note. I checked a Kissimmee and an Orlando Wal Mart. They have a couple of Brinkmann Legend LX's in. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have relatives in that general area of Florida and travel down that way once a year, so I'll probably be able to make it by tying it in with the "visit the family" trip.

Flashaholic*

Peter,
    I'll do some research on hotels and let you know.

Thanks,
    Walt

Flashaholic

ROTFLMAO..........

I go away for Easter and look what you light freaks do! I'm chasin' threads here & there tryin' to keep up and then DavidW creates this forum! Like playing tag with a greased pig!! Then WaltH goes and starts chattin' about Terrapin Station & GD and I'm nowhere to join in the fun. WaltH - it would appear "the deal went down" without me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img].

A Get Together eh? This sounds like a BLAST, although Feb. could be a bit difficult for me if plans for Dec & Jan work out (which means I'll be lacking vac time). A dry affair is a wonderful idea too, I'll leave the tequila out of the marguerita shots. I still want to have a nose lighting competitiion though, or maybe just a group pic of us with Arc's appropriately configured.

I for one would gladly pay the $15 to be an Arc VIP. I'd pay even more if it came with a VIP AAA (uh, oh, here we go again). I think the VIP & Staff tags need a hidden msg which only the "VIP UV-headed Arc" would illuminate. Maybe the VIP AAA could be a 2-headed affair?

When the FIRM date & place is decided, plz update the initial msg in this thread for us lazy folk that don't like to go hunting for info.

Cool Daddy Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JackStraw:
    Like playing tag with a greased pig!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Got that right! Seemed like a Twilight Zone episode for a bit there. Slippery little thread isn't it?

Man, I REALLY don't want to miss this thing though...

Flashaholic

Craig said:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Hopefully there will not be a mandatory "black tie only" dinner, as I do not have a suit & tie, nor would I be very comfortable if forced to wear them.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I can help here. I got these from a web site called LED Museum or something like that. For a tie, try one of these

and for a suit, what about
    this

Sorry - I couldn't resist [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

OK guys. It's probably a little too soon to get all this info. But I've got an inside person in the travel business. She can look up hotels/motels in the area. And possibly get us group rates. What she needs to know is things like dates. No, not who you're bringing. But which days this get together will take place. And who needs rooms. As in how many plan on staying in the hotel/motel.

And most importantly, is proximity to the convention center of real importance?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
    And most importantly, is proximity to the convention center of real importance?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO...No

And certainly not if we all end up staying at Walt`s...

Flashaholic*

OK. THe show is in Orlando, Florida and the time is February 13-16. Probally the best time for the GT is the 15th which is a Saturday night. That would give people Sunday to travel home before the work week. Sound good?

If the VIP tickets work out, we would mail the tickets to whoever wants them 2 months or so before the show. You would have to mail them to the show organizers a month before the show. At the show, they would have your ticket and you would pay $15 (instead of the normal 50). You have to be 18 or older. You can still bring the family on the trip, they could do other things while your at the show if you want (it is Orlando, so there is lots to do).

Unless someone has a better idea, I would like to go with DavidW's travel agent. We need to know when she needs a final head count for reservations. Location to the show isn't as important if there is a shuttle. Having places to eat, etc walking distance is nice so we don't need rental cars or taxies. It also needs to be family and wheelchair friendly. We will need a medium sized hall or meeting room for the 15th.

So the 13, 14, 15 and 16th you could find us at our show booth. On the 15th, we would all get together for the CPF gala (whatever you want to call it) at the hotel meeting room. If we have GT tickets, we could do pizza and what not. Otherwise, maybe just soda (it gets expensive to feed 50-80 people, so I am looking for ideas here).

To get a count, it might be easiest to have a website that people can register if they are going and how many in their party (guestbook function?). Or you could just all email DavidW's travel agent.

Suggestions?

Peter Gransee

Administratior

I would like to say I am going, but it is just to early for me to say for sure. I will know more realistically around the end of summer or early fall. I certainly want to go; but then again I wanted to go this year also.

Flashaholic*

Ohh, sounds like fun, fun, FUN!
    [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Walt, Peter, I sent both of you a private message with the email address for the person who can get hotel/motel arrangements.

I'm not free to go because of the nature of my work. However, I think it's important that we make it possible for Craig to attend. Can we discuss the specifics?

Brightnorm

Flashaholic*

I will do whatever I can to help Craig get here. I would say once we have a list of all those involved we send emails rather than posting the specifics. This thread is going to get rather full by next February.