Flashlight GT in Florida

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
GTs are always fun and it would be advantageous to combine it with the show. As far as tickets, we are quite limited to how many people we can let in as "booth reps". But, we are not limited to how many "VIPs" we can invite. The difference is the VIPs have to pay $15/piece. At least this is how it was setup for the last show.

Back to the GT... We used to do these for my first business (a 22 line BBS). My best friend did (and can still do) the DJ'ing. We would rent a hall someplace (at the hotel we all stay at?), eat pizza and subs, give away stuff, wear our t-shirts, play with new products, do shoot outs, invite other manufacturers, nighttime demonstrations, etc.

If it is going to be an official Arc sanctioned event it would be a no alcohol deal so you could bring the whole family.

The reviewers would be strongly encouraged to come. I talked to Craig about putting together a fund to send him to the last show but I started too late so we postponed the idea. I would definitely like him, his one-of-a-kind LED-lit wheelchair and good part of his collection to make it to the event.

If you want to do this, I will organize it and ask some of you to pitch in for various things.

We would start out with a suggestions phase and then lock the features of the event and get into the organization phase. We should start taking ideas now and then start them into motion around September or so.

Here are some ideas to get started:

- webcam some of the events so people who can't make it can join in somewhat
- Pizza/Subs/Sodas
- Prizes
- Music
- Flashlight tag game for the kids
- For sale items (flashlights, shirts, caps)
- Meet cool people (you!)
- Stay at the same hotel, group rate
- Night demonstrations and product comparisons
- Prototypes
- Invite other manufacturers (Tech Associates, Lightwave, etc)
- Party each night of the convention. Schedule demos, etc during the week.
- T shirt, "I partied with 100 brightly lit flash-a-holics and all I got where spots in my eyes and this t-shirt".

One more thing, let me know if you are interested in this. Even the cheap GT's cost several hundred dollars to put together so I want to make sure this is what you really want.

Peter Gransee

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter...

A new thread on this topic is a good idea. (I hate to say it, but Darell was actually right on target when he made that suggestion. Imagine that...Darell, of all people.)

Please go ahead and close my "Thank You" thread. It definitely served my purpose, and I personally wish to thank all of the kind CPF`ers who took the time to post there.

Now...let`s see if anything can actually develop with an Arc festival in "Walter World". I can`t make any firm committment yet...but I`ll look long and hard at it.

And BTW, I firmly agree. It`s important that we get Craig to Walter World at no cost to him. He`s undoubtedly the most deserving person on the CPF.
smile.gif

So let the new venture begin. On to Walter World!

grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
After much arduous head-scratching, I finally determined that Peter's "GT" means Get Together. At first I thought we were gonna have a Grand Tourismo to Florida, but I couldn't figure out how that fit in...

And onto the subject at hand: I'd just LOVE to do this Walt World, Peabody Petering thing next year, but I honestly don't know how I'd swing it. Getting to the other side of the country with a toddler and a wife who couldn't give an flashlight doodley would be just about insurmountable. Who knows though, maybe we'll have another convention in Florida next year (we travel on my wife's business quite a bit).

Can somebody include the dates over on this thread just so we're all on the same page?

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Walt`s posts on the "Thank You" thread, the next SHOT show will be held in the Orlando, Florida area February 13-16.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
Back to the GT... We used to do these for my first business (a 22 line BBS). My best friend did (and can still do) the DJ'ing. We would rent a hall someplace (at the hotel we all stay at?), eat pizza and subs, give away stuff, wear our t-shirts, play with new products, do shoot outs, invite other manufacturers, nighttime demonstrations, etc.

If it is going to be an official Arc sanctioned event it would be a no alcohol deal so you could bring the whole family.

The reviewers would be strongly encouraged to come. I talked to Craig about putting together a fund to send him to the last show but I started too late so we postponed the idea. I would definitely like him, his one-of-a-kind LED-lit wheelchair and good part of his collection to make it to the event.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds more fun than a barrel of monkeys. A suitcase stuffed full of flashlights is going to look awfully strange in the x-ray machine though. They'll probably make me take off my shoes after seeing that on the monitor.
blush.gif

I would also opt for the "dry" (no alcohol) get-together. If somebody wanted to get hammered, they could BYOB back to their hotel room or go club hopping at the end of the day.

If I were able to come, there would be some additional logistical issues to tackle. Transportation would probably be #1. Putting a 400 pound motorized wheelchair in the trunk of a rental car just won't work. Not to mention I can't rent anything or drive anything other than my own chair.

General wheelchair accessibility (including to bathroom and rest areas) at any event or person's home I show up at would also be a prerequisite. There are a couple of other smaller issues that involve the hotel or motel rooms & accessibility/medical issues, but nothing that couldn't be resolved before showtime. Hopefully there will not be a mandatory "black tie only" dinner, as I do not have a suit & tie, nor would I be very comfortable if forced to wear them.
tongue.gif

As for which lights to bring along, I know my Light Cannon HID will be there as it is affixed to my wheelchair to function as my headlight. I may also bring my Arc-LS prototype so other CPFers can gawk at the rare artifact for themselves. The PT Surge is my brightest incandescent, so that will probably come along. And my green laser pointer needs to be there too. Beyond that, I'm open to suggestions as to what I should and should not bring.

WaltH

Enlightened
Count me in folks! I like the idea of a family oriented environement for the GT.

Peter,
Great ideal. Let me know if there's any legwork I can do for you from Orlando.

Craig,
Same goes for you. I think we would all like to meet you in person.

There's plenty of time so let's make sure we get this setup.

Brock

Flashaholic
If people are really going there are about 10 hotel's right around there, ranging from about $85 to over $200 (Peabody). The last convention I went to was there and I stayed at the Embassy for something like $125. I can't say if I am going, I really want to, but it all depends on work. I also am a "dry" person, not that I mind drinking, I just don't.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey...

"Dry" is fine.

With Crystal vodka running at $30.00 a liter, the fewer imbibers I have to supply drinks for, the better!

(Don`t worry, guys, I`ll make sure to bring more than enough for the rest of us...for after the "GT"!)

grin.gif

WaltH

Enlightened
One more thing. The Peabody is a VERY expensive hotel. Not sure what everyone is willing to spend per night but I'll see about finding a less expensive (but still nice) hotel close to the convention center. Those that are serious can email me at [email protected] so I'll have an idea of how many rooms we'll need.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like fun. Where in Florida would this take place? Roughly when?

Never been to Florida, or the US at all, on a leisure trip. Only 2 business trips to Dallas, and all I saw was Dallas and the inside of airports.

If the event looks fun enough to justify the trip, I reckon I might try and come over..(although I might have fun getting my stuff through customs - "So what are all these, Sir?" "Flashlights? A flashlight convention?" "Yeah, rrright. Please come with us, Sir..")

Graham

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Any old fleabag motel not in the highest crime district would be ok with me. For medical reasons, sharing a room would not be the best idea in my case, so just find me something cheap, with its own john, and on the 1st floor (or on any floor as long as it's serviced by an elevator); and I'll be a happy camper.
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
I kinda figgured the Peabody was spendy. But what do I know? My wife's company paid for our stay last year. I don't think they have trained ducks at the Motel8, but I'm guessing we could probably do without them.
smile.gif

- Darell

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walt, is there hotel nearby that you would recommend? Doesn't have to be fancy since we won't be in our rooms most of the day anyways. Must have wheelchair access and a meeting room. A shuttle to the convention center would be nice too.

Peter Gransee

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a side note. I checked a Kissimmee and an Orlando Wal Mart. They have a couple of Brinkmann Legend LX's in.
grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have relatives in that general area of Florida and travel down that way once a year, so I'll probably be able to make it by tying it in with the "visit the family" trip.

Terrapin Flyer

Newly Enlightened
ROTFLMAO..........

I go away for Easter and look what you light freaks do! I'm chasin' threads here & there tryin' to keep up and then DavidW creates this forum! Like playing tag with a greased pig!! Then WaltH goes and starts chattin' about Terrapin Station & GD and I'm nowhere to join in the fun. WaltH - it would appear "the deal went down" without me
grin.gif

A Get Together eh? This sounds like a BLAST, although Feb. could be a bit difficult for me if plans for Dec & Jan work out (which means I'll be lacking vac time). A dry affair is a wonderful idea too, I'll leave the tequila out of the marguerita shots. I still want to have a nose lighting competitiion though, or maybe just a group pic of us with Arc's appropriately configured.

I for one would gladly pay the $15 to be an Arc VIP. I'd pay even more if it came with a VIP AAA (uh, oh, here we go again). I think the VIP & Staff tags need a hidden msg which only the "VIP UV-headed Arc" would illuminate. Maybe the VIP AAA could be a 2-headed affair?

When the FIRM date & place is decided, plz update the initial msg in this thread for us lazy folk that don't like to go hunting for info.