SunwayLED
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DealExtreme U2 "fake" review (Lux version)

Default DealExtreme U2 "fake" review (Lux version)

FIRST I will say that these types of lights spark lots of controversy. This review is purely observational - based on functionality. Forget about price, manufacturer, or other emotional / philosophical comments.

I KINDLY ASK THAT IF YOU WANT TO ARGUE THE MORAL / ETHICAL / EMOTIONAL / PHILOSOPHICAL DETAILS OF RIPPING OFF THE SUREFIRE DESIGN/NAME, START YOUR OWN THREAD. It's all been heard before, and I'd hate to see a technical review thread turn into the same old mush of complaining.

Ok I finally received the DealExtreme U2 clone. Ordered 1/18/2007, Received 1/30/2007.

It looks almost EXACTLY like a U2. SureFire logo and everything.
    - It has a cheapy thin glass lens
    - Smooth reflector
    - No pocket clip
    - tail clicky works differently than U2 and is difficult to use
    - the "selector ring" is just for show, it doesn't even move
    - 18650's work just fine in both modes

I have no way to do a runtime graph so don't expect that.

The light has 2 levels. The first level is just about equivelant to the U2's higest (level 6) mode.

The 2nd level is about equivelant to the U2's level 4 mode.

The parts fit together well. None of them are loc-tite'd. The "selector ring" is glued onto the body; i could not remove it (in fact i broke my vice trying)

The tail clicky sucks. You have to press it at like a certain angle to make it click, otherwise it feels like it jams and won't budge. Gross.

There is no momentary-on... 1st click = high level, 2nd click = low level, click again = off. The only gripe about the UI is that the light turns on when the switch is on its way back OUT. So, when you press it IN, the light is still off. When you let go of the switch, then it turns on (reverse clicky).

EDIT: The tail cap can be fixed - it can be disassembled from the inside, and there are lots of loose-fitting parts. Mine were all shoved off to the side, making the switch barely work. centering them made it work just fine, but i have yet to actually secure the parts centered. some other time when i'm not so lazy i guess...

If you remove the reflector, you can get a really nice wide clean flood of light - I might actually prefer it this way for some things.

EDIT: a few more comments:
    - the tailcap is not compatible with the U2, and vice-versa
    - the beam is pretty good. a little messy, but no big holes, donuts, stuff like that. there's less spill than a U2, and a tighter hot spot.
    - the "selector ring" is aluminum
    - the light is cast, not machined.

EDIT (2nd revision): Water resistancy. I dunked the light under my full kitchen sink of water for a few minutes, clicking like mad on the switch. SEEMED to work like a charm, but found that the LED was just barely lit while the light was off. I opened the tailcap again and found that water had gotten into the switch. So, it's NOT water resistant unless you find a way to seal the tailcap rubber.

Pictures... Note that my U2 is a lux lotter loser, and I have a relatively blue beam as it is.

Here is the packaging.

Inside the white box, the light was taped in bubble paper:

Compared to my U2. The clone is on top. Yep that's the surefire logo there, and surefire-looking serial number. The serial number is fake. Other people that have purchased this light also got A02621...

Compared to my U2 again. The clone is the top one.

Down the barrel!

Again.

Tail clicky is shorter. Notice the surefire.com link there... Also note that my U2 has Nekomane's z58 tailguard on it. That mod will not work with this clone, because the tailcap is all 1 piece.

Head assembly; apologies for the blur.

Without the reflector. Looks like an easy modee...

The tail cap - notice there is no spring. That is a spring-loaded piece of metal there.

Down the battery shaft. The head does not detach like the U2's. I am using my U2 to light the tube =)

Again...

High level, 1 meter away.
    Real U2 on the left
    Clone U2 on the right

High level, 1 meter away - exposure 1/1000 sec to compare beams.
    Real U2 on the left
    Clone U2 on the right

Low level, 1 meter away
    Real U2 on the left (at level 4)
    Clone U2 on the right (on low level)

Low level, 1 meter away - exposure 1/1000 sec to compare beams.
    Real U2 on the left
    Clone U2 on the right
    Last edited by tenfour; 02-02-2007 at 09:44 AM. Reason: adding comments

Default Re: DealExtreme U2 clone review (Lux version)

I feel sorry for anybody who buys these second hand, thinking they are getting a real Surefire. I've seen copies before, but this is counterfeit. They put the Surefire label on the side, good grief!

Thumbs down Re: DealExtreme U2 clone review (Lux version)

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
    I feel sorry for anybody who buys these second hand, thinking they are getting a real Surefire. I've seen copies before, but this is counterfeit. They put the Surefire label on the side, good grief!
    Unbelievable. It was bad enough they copied the U2 design. With the Surefire logo and url there can be no doubt it was specifically designed for scamming people. Companies like this are despicable and should not be given our business. I wonder if Surefire can sue them as it's apparently Thunderdome over in China as far as IP is concerned.

KROMA
    TICS

Two things:

I wonder if the reflector is deep enough for a CREE star swap?

Finaly, how long do they think they can get away with putting Surefire labeling on these? Kind of makes the coincidental resemblance argument a little tough to swallow....

NIce review! I've been waiting for more info on this light. Do you feel it's worth the $25 or whatever they are charging for it?

Quote Originally Posted by tenfour
    I KINDLY ASK THAT IF YOU WANT TO ARGUE THE MORAL / ETHICAL / EMOTIONAL / PHILOSOPHICAL DETAILS OF RIPPING OFF THE SUREFIRE DESIGN/NAME, START YOUR OWN THREAD. It's all been heard before, and I'd hate to see a technical review thread turn into the same old mush of complaining.
    I agree with the OP, please take it to another thread.

Do you feel it's worth the $25 or whatever they are charging for it?
    dammitjim: I need to use it a bit more. To me, the biggest functional drawback to the light is that the tailcap sucks. I assume I can fix that easily. Secondly, I don't know what the runtime on it looks like.

There are a lot of "pro"s about this light though - for $20, you get a 18650 compatible light with good beam, 2 levels, water resistant...

at the moment i'm happy i got it. time will tell the rest of the story.

OK I have made a lot of revisions to the review. Most notably I found that the light is NOT water resistant. I just need to seal up the tail and it should be OK though.

Thanks for the info. I'm in a biusness which lives or dies by intellectual property, so the question of legitimacy is of course relevant to me. As a newbie I was not aware of the light cloning going on and may have gotten one if not for your post. My enlightenment continues.
    Zero search clutter.

Flashaholic*

FIRST I will say that these types of lights spark lots of controversy. This review is purely observational - based on functionality. Forget about price, manufacturer, or other emotional / philosophical comments.
    by this type of lights you mean blatant rip-off of a legitimate product designed to scam people? dang it they better cause controversy!! I don't care if I get ban for saying this, but people like you should be ashamed of yourselves.

there I said it. CPF has seen its lowest day since I joined two and half years ago.
    "a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." -Warren vs District of Columbia, after three women were raped, beaten for 14 hours and police never came after numerous 911 calls were placed

Looks like this good be a good host for a Cree mod, which would make this one hell of a light. Maybe your model was a dud as far as the tailcap goes. Looks like a pretty damn good deal for under $30 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by 270winchester
    by this type of lights you mean blatant rip-off of a legitimate product designed to scam people? dang it they better cause controversy!! I don't care if I get ban for saying this, but people like you should be ashamed of yourselves.

there I said it. CPF has seen its lowest day since I joined two and half years ago.
    You're sure on one today.

Thanks Tenfour for the objective and informative review.

Quote Originally Posted by adirondackdestroyer
    Looks like this good be a good host for a Cree mod, which would make this one hell of a light. Maybe your model was a dud as far as the tailcap goes. Looks like a pretty damn good deal for under $30 shipped.
    I have recieved the same light,The tailcap is verry finicky.
    overall a good light for the price.
    Make sure you use surefire cells in it!

Make sure you use surefire cells in it!
    Why?

Just poking fun.When I got mine Surefire cells were all I had to put in it.
    Last edited by kabkbak7321; 01-30-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Enlightened

some should notify surefire about this, maybe they could inform us customs and do something about it.
    there should be better ways to obtain a cheap housing for your mods.....

h

and i cant believe there are lengthy discussions in this forum about posting the 07 surefire catalogue based on copyright concerns and then people over here are promoting the sale of this light.

in germany havng such a light would be a fellony/misdemeanor

p.s.: sent an email to surefire, maybe they can do something about it
    Last edited by aurich_; 01-30-2007 at 04:11 PM.

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

Deleted.
    Last edited by jch79; 01-30-2007 at 10:11 PM.

As you wish but I would like to point out that intrinsic in this piece of shit forgery is a utter disregard for morals or ethics so it makes sense that any review would also be devoid of such.

As always, one's vote with their dollars is heard and counted. Perhaps a group buy could be initiatied for someone to rip off a real Sure Fire dealer* of real SureFire goods and we could have a technical discussion on them after we bought them. You know, compare tints and such. Again, we could leave the morals and ethics out.

* I am in no way proposing this because the CPF has rules about suggesting anything known to be illegal. This was suggested in jest as well as utter disgust!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Hmm. I had no idea I was going to turn into a badguy from this :/

For what it's worth, I am not devoid of morals. as stated, i was hoping for the sake of information & truth that we could leave judgements elsewhere, and leave facts in here.

I need to clarify some things here in my own defense.

1) I am not promoting the sale of this light. I bought it mostly with the intention of making this review. I was amazed when I received it that it had SF branding. At that point should I have said "ok shady dealings are involved, no review?" I don't think so. I said "well, the light works. And people are curious about it. Emotions aside, I will detail the functionality for those are curious."

2) I purposely wished to keep comments about the morality of this light separate from discussion of the technical details for what I hope are obvious reasons. I do have opinions on the morality of products like this. I think it's discipable (sp?).

Please do not pass judgement onto me.

Quote Originally Posted by aurich_
    some should notify surefire about this, maybe they could inform us customs and do something about it.
    Waaaay ahead of you, aurich. I sent them an e-mail when the first glimpses of this light went public. AFAIK, the info was passed onto their legal department.

I said it on the other thread about this light:

Stick to your ethics. Vote with your wallet.

Personally, I'm at the whole thing.

Hmm. I had no idea I was going to turn into a badguy from this :/
    Personally, I think you're doing a great service by posting this review, and I applaud you for doing such.

(I'll justify my position, lest the mob mentality accuse me of "supporting" this light's sale and call for my permanent ban )

I feel this way for a few reasons:

1) you have clearly shown through pictures and text the differences between the knock-off and the authentic Surefire.

In the future, this will allow people who don't know any better to compare the light they got and know if it's authentic or a knock-off.

2) you have shown the lights performance, allowing people to make an informed decision.

Without your review, people would not have as much information. People may now buy the light because of that information, or they may decide to pass on the light when they would have otherwise bought it out of curiosity.

3) information is never a bad thing, and I believe in freedom to make informed decisions.

There are plenty of people around here who would advocate completely ignoring this light in the hopes it will go away. Others want people to know about it so they will go out and lynch those who made it.

I believe that people should be allowed to make their own informed choices, and that the more information they have, the better they will be able to choose.

By providing information, you have helped, not hurt.

Enlightened

good job greenled, too quick for me..
    just thought i had to do sth about it...

@mchlwise: i agree that tenfour did an excellent job (in showing how bad the clone is), but comments from some people promoting the sale of the light is another thing altogether
    Last edited by aurich_; 01-30-2007 at 05:39 PM.

As a review it is just peachy. It tells us a lot about how the light works.

I can not BELIEVE that it is marked exactly like a Surefire. The possibilites, ALL BAD! make my head hurt!

I can't afford the real thing. But I'd NEVER buy a CARBON COPY CLONE of it!
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

I've been out of town for the last couple days so I haven't been able to post. I recieved my U2 clone Friday. Packaging, etc was the same, even the serial number (A02621). I spent less than 30 bucks for this light because I was looking for a less than 30 buck light. I own 4 other SF's and have my share of modded Mags. I buy my stuff from "the little guy" and don't usually buy what I consider to be high dollar stuff from places like eBay, the money stays in town if it is available.

Anyways, I have several LED lights (No real U2's sorry) and this light packs a punch. I guess I am impressed with the output. I have had a few days to mess with it and it works well. the switch is clunky but seems to have no alignment issues. It is very hard to push and looks unsealed as stated above. The body has a large ID. 2 SF batteries "rattle" kind of like a M@G but I can't complain.

All in all, worth my 30 bucks and 2 weeks waiting.
    FWIW I had no idea that light would be as much of a clone as it is. I was intoduced to DX and this light here under a title U2 copy now available, I guess the title was very correct.

Don't dis tenfour for doing the review! If he had not done it we would not have
    known that it was a counterfeit, rather than merely a clone.
    It also doesn't seem to be all that great a light anyway.
    There are plenty of other cheap Chinese lights out there,
    including some that already have Cree XR-E LEDs.

Obviously, a counterfeit Surefire is likely to be confiscated by Customs,
    making it a dubious bargain even if you don't care about the ethics of it.
    Last edited by AndyTiedye; 01-30-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Flashaholic*

My guess is that they're sending it through the mail and the Customs people that are assigned to the Postal Service facilities are just passing them through as a Passed Free item given their low value, and not knowing what is actually in the envelopes (often heat sealed plastic envelopes.) My guess is that a complaint to either Customs or the Postal Inspection Service with one of those envelopes would probably put the items on a watch list.

If an entire shipment were to come through conventional commercial channels, it would most likely be confiscated as you mentioned since many Customs enforcement personnel would indeed know what a real Surefire product looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyTiedye
    Obviously, a counterfeit Surefire is likely to be confiscated by Customs,
    making it a dubious bargain even if you don't care about the ethics of it.

Flashaholic*

Exactly. I can't afford a U2 myself either. THat's why I don't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayboyJoeShmoe
    As a review it is just peachy. It tells us a lot about how the light works.

I can not BELIEVE that it is marked exactly like a Surefire. The possibilites, ALL BAD! make my head hurt!

I can't afford the real thing. But I'd NEVER buy a CARBON COPY CLONE of it!
    "a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." -Warren vs District of Columbia, after three women were raped, beaten for 14 hours and police never came after numerous 911 calls were placed

Great review!!
    Last edited by fishx65; 01-30-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Because Justmyluck is 100% right!!!!

Enlightened

Kudos to tenfour for posting this review. I echo what someone said above in that information in and of itself is a good thing. He took a chance on this flashlight, and is simply giving a review of what he found (and rather objectively I might add).

What I would say bothers me slightly is the reaction this thread has gotten, and in such, I feel sorry for tenfour having to bear this. I see this as a case of common courtesy. Tenfour prefaced his review asking for the debate of ethical/moral issues to be taken elsewhere. Hey, we all know this was going to be a copy of some sort from the sales pictures. This has been well discussed/argued elsewhere (a LOT). But yet some users felt the need to come here into tenfour's thread and still bring up the very issues he asked to have taken elsewhere. Frankly, I find that to be nothing less than rude.

It would have taken all of 2 minutes to start a new thread to discuss ONLY the moral/ethical/copyright implications of this particular light, as opposed to the performance which was supposed to be discussed here.

I may be a relative newcomer here at CPF...I love the fact that an amazing amount of data and opinions are available here for review...but I do feel that this blantant disregard for the requests of original posters is far too out of line and should be dealt with.

My 2 cents...thanks for reading.

Eric

A clone would be fine.
    A counterfeit is not.

This is flat out forgery.

Well done on the review though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast