• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Mule

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

My very first McLux was a "flood" flashlight. I have always appreciated the shear utility of a flood and although it is the least impressive of a light to show, it is often the most effective and useful light to use. :)

I have been using a Ti PD flood or "bed side" light for some time now and recently upgraded it with a Cree XR-E and mizer drive setting. One of you has been hounding me to make something like this available. I realize that this is not a mainstream design and likely not one to get excited about by most CPF members. It's cool! :p

Well Wayne and I have been ploding along with some fixed LED lighting components and systems and hopefully this is the year that we bring some production items out finally. I have discovered from doing a number of fixed lighting installations and studies that it really really helps to have a portable sample of the light to bring to the intended site of installation and "check it out". Because of this, I do want to have some flood flashlights available for installers and DIY folks. Besides, the light is really useful, in and of itself!!!
:grin2:

I have discussed this with Wayne and I figure I will design a PD version as well as an Aleph version. Since these lights are the antithesis of an exotic or "super" flashlight, I decided to call the series the Mules. Stocky in appearance and dependable for the mundane.

I finished a Ti prototype last night and in it I experimented with some other ideas I have had in mind to visit. As it turned out, I was able to modify a dinged up Ti XR19 head with a minimal amount of machining.

Ti-PD-Mule-1.jpg

During the time here on CPF when we were becoming aware of CR123 events in some of the flashlights, one of the concerns was that of internal pressure build up within a sealed flashlight. I had two ideas of means of purging any positive pressure as a "safety valve". One was implimented in the design of the C clickie pak. Another ideas was for the front window to lift off its seal from internal pressure and have a means of blow by. I figured the retaining O-ring groove could have side ports that extended down into the window area itself. This would allow for an escape route of built up gas pressure. It would also be a side escape for some photons. With the very short length of the PD-Mule head, deep flutes the full length would be ideal for a good grip and these flutes themselves would provide side ports. When I did a design in Solid Works, the result looked very similar to the XR19 head and I was stoked to find I already had the foundation in hand! The front face of the head doesn't need scallops or crenelations to provide side light while standing on the head for on condition indication. You have little side windows of light.

Ti-PD-Mule-window.jpg

Now this PD-Mule is all about function but I really like the looks of the result and the ergonomics of this faceted head in terms of grip and rotation are exceptional, IMHO.

At 2 5/8" overall length, the PD-Mule is a short runt. I think this is one of the most useful and practical lights I have designed so far. Great on flux and and an all time looser on lux! :nana:

I haven't decided on the profile for the Aleph Mule yet so no pictures of it. The proto is a full diameter plain piece at present. I do plan to keep with a bezel less design and keep the shroud of the head past the window to a reasonable minimum which will allow more of the flood to escape.

theslippyslug

Enlightened
:wow: I like how that looks and love the usefulness of flood on some of my other lights... just hope I'm awake when these go on sale!

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounds like a KISS, rugged little flooder, perhaps a great night walk/trail light too. I'd definitely be interested in one.

benyosh

Newly Enlightened
Don, this is great news!!! A flood light is perfect for the up-close work i do at my workplace and for home use as well. My PD-S (1'st McGizmo light) is my EDC, i can't seem to put it down even when i don't need it. Will this be a pure flood light, as in minimal/zero hotspot?

thanks,
ben

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
Well Wayne and I have been ploding along with some fixed LED lighting components and systems and hopefully this is the year that we bring some production items out finally.

I would love some floody LED under cabinet lights.
smile.gif

The Mule is nice, no beamshot?
tongue.gif

loveit

Enlightened
Now this looks like exactly what I was looking for when I first e-mailed you, Don! I'd really like one, too. Any way it could be done in the aluminum? It looks like a very useful light!

:sold:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,
Would it be feasable to offer it as an upgrade? Example, selling the head only in aluminum to lego with my Aluminum PD. I would love one of these. Flood is very useful to me.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Oddjob said:
Don,
Would it be feasable to offer it as an upgrade? Example, selling the head only in aluminum to lego with my Aluminum PD. I would love one of these. Flood is very useful to me.

This is what I have been considering myself. I have 2 mm thick windows on order and I really need to confirm the design with a first article so this is a ways off. The Aleph version would also be a stand alone accessory that would host any XR-E LE and mate to appropriate power pak.

I think what makes the timing right now is the XR-E itself. For starters, its narrower viewing angle puts some thrust in its distribution without any secondary optics and additionally, it is bright enough in flux that it can be driven down at mizer mode and be a cool and long running, bright light. I can read a paperback with this light on low which is what, 50 hours or better of runtime? On high, I can make out my whole back yard to a reasonable degree. Bounced off the ceiling in a room you can easily see what is what. The Mule is a portable "fixed" light and we use fixed lighting for all kinds of tasks! :)

This light has no hot spot and a beam shot would be silly! :nana:

loveit

Enlightened
This looks like an awesome light. I just re-read everything again for the third time. I'm so pumped for this one! I also love my PD-S and would love one of these to match. Great design, Don! Sorry for posting yet again-- I'm way too new to this all and get easily excited!

Latest posts