My rambling thoughts on E2 and E2e

Darell

Flashaholic
I've had an E2 for a while now, and use it just about every day. Today my first E2e arrived from TTS. Beautiful little thing. I'm still tempted to go get my adjustable wrench to tighten that hex bezel, but I've resisted the temtation so far.

First thing I did with the E2e was to twist it on (duh). Hmmm. Not too impressed. I grabbed my E2 with half-dead batteries and fired it up next to the E2e beam. The older light with older batteries was noticeably brighter. ??? I next swapped the batteries (SF in both cases) and not too surprisingly, the E2e was then brighter with the old batteries than the E2 with the "new" batteries that just came with my E2e. That's a bummer, but at least there's nothing wrong with the E2e that a new set of batteries can't fix. Guess I'll check the voltage on the "new" batteries. What do you suppose I'll discover?
grin.gif

As I twisted the E2e back off, I felt something like a shock go through my thumb. Damn near dropped the light. As I timidly held it with the tips of my thumb and forefinger to turn it off (before it could cause me any more harm
smile.gif
), I realized that my "shock" was actually a tiny sliver of aluminum that had become imbedded in my thumb. Ouch. With the aid of the light held in my mouth, I extracted the sliver and was once again, good to go. In hindsight, I guess I should have cleaned the light off real well before sticking it in my mouth. But no further harm was done, fortunately.

Man, but that little E2e clip is TIGHT. Can anybody actually use that thing? My favorite clip is the "new" E2 clip. VERY nice. Perfect length and amount of "sproing." I'll probably be removing the E2e clip so I can easily carry it in a sheath. Who's got the best sheath idea? I'm not too fond of the SF offering since it only works with a belt. Does Rip-off make one with a clip that fits the E2 well?

I've seen just one other odd thing in regard to the E-series lights. I've had four go through my hands one way or another, and three of the four (regardless of having a LOTC or the standard cap) go to full on mode just barely before the cap is tightened fully against the body. On my current E2, the full on mode begins at least half a twist away from being fully tightened. There is no "feel" for when the light turns on. It is definitely the tailcap that affects this, because I can put that one tailcap on any other light, and the same thing happens. Any clue what might cause that? Easy fix?

Eventually I'd like to have the LOLA in my E2, and a HOLA in the E2e. I'd keep my MNO3's for backups, but it would be somewhat ironic to not have a "stock" bulb in either of my E2's huh? I'd love to be able to choose between carrying a blinding light for security, and a long-lasting light for regular use.

OK, that's it for now from E2 HA land.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aren't they great?!
grin.gif
One thing that I don't remember anyone mentioning is that the E2e is ever so slightly longer. Just a tiny bit.

And the beam on my E2e was wider and of lower quality than my E2. After playing around with bezels and lamp assemblys I've concluded it was just a bad MN03. When it burns out the new one should give me a better beam.

I don't like the clip on the E2e. It protrudes just enough to snag the pocket when trying to put it on. I need to file down that little hook. But I'm holding off because Al and those at the SFDB have said the M2 clip is a good fix. Too bad it doesn't come like that. But if you put the E2 and E2e clip side-by-side you'll see they're pretty close to the same length. It's that little crook and snag that makes it almost useless.

P.S. That's How I'm going to set up. The LOLA in the E2 and HOLA in the E2e. Now if they would just hurry up and get those lamps to market.

Darell

Flashaholic
Ah! I meant to mention that in my original ramble. I'd heard mention that the E2e would be longer than the E2. So I expected that. But what I have never heard mentioned is that the ONLY reason the E2e is longer is because of the LOTC. An E2e and an E2 with LOTC should be identical in length. So it isn't the light's fault like I thought it would be. You can make any of the E's shorter simply by swapping out the tail cap. Anybody want to trade me a LOTC for a standard one to make yours shorter????

You're right on about the clips. And I sure would like one of them hex bezels for my E2, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>P.S. That's How I'm going to set up. The LOLA in the E2 and HOLA in the E2e.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah. Great minds...

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've found that some of the "M2" clips need to be slightly modified before they fit on the E2e. The interface is very slightly different so some clips aren't rounded enough. I removed a about 0.5 mm - 1.0 mm from an M2 clip using the E2e clip as the example.

I don't use it because I love the E2e clip for clipping to the inside of my trouser pockets.

Al

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, maybe this has been addressed before but is the E2E projected to replace the E2 or are they scheduled to coexist with each other by Surefire?

My plan is to buy LED conversion kit for current E2 and then buy an E2E.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the clip being to short & to stiff for my taste. If I carry it in my front pocket with the clip, I use the E2 as the finish on the E2e was going to wear out the seam pretty quickly. TX

George Orl

Newly Enlightened
From what I have read, E2 & E2e will both remain available. Clip does seem short. I also would like a LOLA in the E2 and HOLA (say 100-120 lumens)in the E2e. Thats what the pyrex lens is for right P.K.?
George

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George Orl:
Thats what the pyrex lens is for right PK?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was CERTAINLY my plan...

Dang. Could you just imagine 120 Lumens out of this little guy?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys keep speaking of a HOLA for the E2, E2(E), but have you ever kept your current E2 on constantly for any length of time? I have and in less then ten minutes the E2 body gets hot as a pistol. I do not believe the E2 is big enough to provide sufficient heat sinking for a higher powered lamp for any length of time other then short intermittent use which is why it is an executive series rather then a tactical series light. Now I can see perhaps a longer E3 light with a greater mass to provide heat sinking capabilities but IMO, the E2 pretty much maxes out it's lumen output for the body area in a non tactical light.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
You guys keep speaking of a HOLA for the E2, E2(E), but have you ever kept your current E2 on constantly for any length of time? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. And I don't intend to, either. *Especially* with the HOLA! With the HOLA, I'd never plan on using it for more than 30 seconds. A minute tops. With the HOLA, I'd think of it much like any other weapon. I wouldn't leave my gun "on" for very long either
smile.gif
Even if I did have one.

And then there's the fact that the batteries might not last long enough to get the light hot
grin.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Nope. And I don't intend to, either. *Especially* with the HOLA! With the HOLA, I'd never plan on using it for more than 30 seconds. A minute tops. With the HOLA, I'd think of it much like any other weapon.
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My point exactly. The E series are not considered as "weapon" flashlights. There are plenty of other high powered lamp assemblies in other Surefire "weapon" flashlights.

I don't own a Surefire "weapon", ie tactical flashlight although I think sooner or later an M3 will cross my hands but I do use my E2 a lot in every day non tactical situations including times when I leave it on for an extended time which is why I brought up the heatsinking point.

DonL

Enlightened
I've noticed alot of heat from my E2 being left on for a short period of time. there's just alot of light and heat being pumped into a small amount of aluminum.

I found that the clip configuration of the E2 is tough on the edge of a pocket if the clip is tight enough to actually hold the light in place. I may as well carry a heavy wood rasp around in my pocket.
wink.gif

IIRC, there's a "flat" under the clip of the Exe which should add some longevity to one's wardrobe.

When my E1e arrived, I scammed the LOTC for my E2, as it's larger enough to more likely have the button pushed while in my pocket or on my on my belt. I've been carrying the E1e in the small watch/lighter pocket in my jeans. It's a great carry.

If I decide to try another LA in the E2, I'm thinking the LOLA or the digital LED conversion for it. Either that or just stick with my E1e if I need a smaller amount of light than the full-on E2. Otherwise, if I need more light than a standard LA in the E2, that's what the M2, M3, and 8AX is for.

Just my own rambling...

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
The E series are not considered as "weapon" flashlights. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, of course not. That would be the "W" series
smile.gif

Doesn't matter what you call it. If it were to put out 120 lumens, it would be plenty weapon enough for me. It's pretty good even at 60.

Here's what SF has to say about it on their site:

"Our compact E2 weighs just 4 ounces, and delivers 60 lumens of pure white, brilliant light, in a perfectly shaped beam, enabling you to see what's in the shadows hundreds of feet away. When a light this bright is directed to the eyes of a potential attacker, it is a powerful deterrent."

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Allright, I give up and am going to bed. It's a multi purpose light I guess. I did read on the Surefire site what you have just posted so given that, I don't know if Surefire is trying to claim "an executive series tactical light" or something else. Two facts, is that definitely the E2 gets hot to the touch after a period of being on and Surefire produces many lights that will visually impair an attacker with much greater initial impact then an E2 would.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:

Here's what SF has to say about it on their site:

"Our compact E2 weighs just 4 ounces, and delivers 60 lumens of pure white, brilliant light, in a perfectly shaped beam, enabling you to see what's in the shadows hundreds of feet away. When a light this bright is directed to the eyes of a potential attacker, it is a powerful deterrent."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darell,

I love Surefire but I consider these statements to be a bit inflated based on my experience with the E2 and other SF two and three battery lights plus the M6.

Brightnorm

Darell

Flashaholic
Whoa! Hey everybody - I GET IT. Really, I do. Uncle.

I absolutely realize that the E series are not tactical lights. Never have been, never will be. I just posted the Surefire quote to point out that the mfg considers the E series to at least be a step above a penlight.

The keys I used to carry in my fist were't very tactical either, but I still carried them for self-defense just the same.

I have both E2s. I know what they're capable of. Doesn't matter to me what they're called or how they are marketed. If I can put a 120 lumen lamp in my "executive" light, I will have the same amount of blinding potential as if I had a "tactical" light with 120 lumens (beam angle not withstanding). There is nothing more to my comment than that.

I know everybody is trying to help here, so I mean no offense. It's just that, again, I GET IT. We are all on the same page here.

Thanks guys,
Darell