redneck laser printer repair

turbodog

Flashaholic
Earlier today I was given an hp4500 color laser printer. It came with six new in box toners, one new in box transfer roller, one 76% useful transfer roller, power cable, printer cable, and a minor problem.

There had been a MASSIVE magenta toner spill inside the printer. I'm talking PILES of toner everywhere.

So I put in on a table in the carport and grab the air compressor. I pull the toners, paper trays, fuser, tranfer belt, and everything else that isn't nailed down. And I start blasting with the air hose. A pinkish fog floats across the yard towards the neighbor's house.

But it isn't enough. You can still measure the toner inside the printer with a ruler.

So.....

Need more power. :xyxgun:

Time to break out the commercial-grade gas powered leaf blower.

If the first attempt left me with a pinkish fog then this can only be described as a nuclear explosion of toner.

After 10 minutes (I said it was deep!) I finally have it clean. I do a little detail work the the air hose, sponge it off and reassemble the thing.

I hook it up, and after a couple of really speckled reddish pages it works like a champ!

:p

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Overheard from the neighbor's side) "Why the HE!! is everything pink ?"

magentacloud.gif

:naughty:

Glen C

Enlightened
Like your style Turbodog
smile.gif
One thing if you get the leaf blower out again, wear a face mask or the very least a bandana. I had a share in a repair company and the one thing I remember was the vacuum cleaners used to cost $400 a pop because the toner dust was carcigenic. Probably no need to share that fact with your neighbour

:lolsign:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be prepared to do that quite often. CLJ4500s leak toner like a sieve. That toner you blew out was probably just from years of regular toner leakage, not any kind of accident or breakage.

BTW - hope you did all that outside, and not in your garage. Toner sticks to everything, and can be difficult to remove from clothing and rough surfaces.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
yuandrew - I think there's some subliminal pics in your pink graphic! :D

Didn't really think about that though; I just went into Paint, selected the magenta color from the pallet and then clicked the "spray can" tool and just sprayed it all over the place in a circular motion to simulate a "pink cloud".

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Realy not a redneck job unless you found a place to put a wad or two of duct tape..

Yellow snow... One of my tips for crappy service left written on a napkin..

ricky315

Newly Enlightened
That's really a mess, why don't bring it on a printer repair expert, try not to use any kind of chemical solution as it may harm your printer especially if the electrical parts are also affected by the solution you are applying.