Got the AN/VSS-3 running, this thing cranks out some light. Now I just need build/buy a tripod to figure out a "use" for it, and how to put bat-signal mask on it for halowwen...
Its really IgNITEor fault - I've been interested in these for a while, let it slip, then saw his AN/VSS-1 on the playa.
- AN/VSS-3 kit (mine purchased from Len at Found Objects of Industry, he has dozens). Included AN/VSS-3 searchlight, controller, main cable, bracket. Did not include remote.
- 28V power supply/rectifier. I chose the Mean Well RSP-1500-27, as it will run on 120V/20A and put out 56A. $335 + tax and shipping from PowerGate. I looked at other options, including a bunch of 27V and 28V rectifiers on eBay but didn't find anything for 120V except a monster 28V 100A linear supply that would cost me more to ship and would need its own small building.
- Power connector (MS3106R32-5S, MS3106E32-5S, MS3106F32-5S, 97-3106A-32-5S). I looked for used, gave up, got a new one for $50 from Connector Distributor Corporation. (I thought about buying a NATO power adapter on eBay and hacking it, probably would have gone that route if I had to pay $150 for the connector).
- Temp power cables (I used 6-ga THHN) and connectors.
- Manuals TM 11-5855-217-12 and TM 11-5855-217-35 online PDF free from http://www.liberatedmanuals.com .
Amazing beam, a spike ending never. On wide, its a perfect circle.
The fan is noisy, this is not a stealth light.
The AN/VSS-3 showed up with 2hrs on the meter, though the mirror has some corrosion and the glass was dirty.
Cable connectors were oxidized but work ok, still want to clean them up nice and shiny.
I fired it up with a pair of 12V batteries nearby, so I could run the fan if the power supply failed.
Wired it up directly, as I'm still deciding the cable configuration and didn't want to solder wires to the connector yet.
Draws about 53A running at 28V (calculated from wire voltage drop).
Fan does not lock on after 15 minutes run (its about 60 degrees tonight). Not sure if fan temp switch is broken. To be safe, I ran the fan manually for 5 minutes.
Once its been lit, relight is immediate.
There is a container load of 10 AN/TVS-3 (20KW liquid cooled short-arc trailer mounted "battlefield illuminators") and 3 70KW generators. I should not even be thinking of this. Group buy anyone?