The Surefire L1 Evolution

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if someone here has all the diffrent Gen Surefire L1 lights produced.
Maybe a Picture of the evolution.
Maybe describing the diffrences and improvements.

I noticed the Current newest version has the longer Clip.
I was kindof dissapointed with that as i like the shorter better.

Benny

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about all but I have 4+ steps in the evolution including at least one of the very early ones (SN<50.) Many have different tailcaps, threading, and/or clips and one is even black HA-III (although I don't think I would call that a step of the line evolution). :D

I'll try to pull them all out for a group shot and some more details later this weekend if you would like... cool idea BTW. I've been around a long time and to my knowledge no one have ever asked.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply,

I really like the Surefire L1 and i have decided to try to source out all the diffrent Gen lights for my collection.
The size and expecially the usefullness of the low and long runtime appeals to me.
I have a really old one on the way here,not sure about the serial and look other than that it has the smaller non scalloped bezel.
Its not bone stock,master milkyspit swapped the Green Luxeon for a TV1J before he sent it my way.
I also have the newest Gen with KL1 look head which has the Tight beam and a Long clip.

If you could take some pictures and explain diffrences between yours that would be awsome :)

Benny

Chao

Enlightened
I am glad to know the current version of L1 has longer clip, I love my L1 with optic very much, but the clip is the short style, I like the long one like A2, I think it's more useful to me!

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a latest-gen L1 and it had the same clip as my ML1, which is first-gen body style. I don't think I've ever seen an L1 with a long clip.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I do not have many lites. But my last purchase was an L1. And I am very, very happy with its performance, looks, feel and justified price (bought it of a cpf'er). With the new version round the corner and having specs like output 10/65, high runtime, longer clip like A2, well its even more value added I would say.

I do not have the priviledge to own a milky ML1 as where I am, but from the feedback from owners it A+. I think if we were to buy a full set from milky its like USD180 or something like that. Nonetheless, I am quite happy with the one I'm having and edc'ing everyday.

Personally, it looks much better with the square body rather than the current round body IMO.

My wish is that the L1 is made shorter to about 4 to 4.5 inches in length and retaining the 1.1 low stage but having high stage to about 50 should be enough. Output with the TIR optics in L1 is much better then my KL1 (milky MLi uses reflectors) on E1L but the size of E1L is minute compared to L1.

BTW, new L1 running on 1xSF123 or 2xSF123?

Would it be nice if Surefire comes out with a Defender version of L1.....Cool Eh?!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is by no means an exhaustive list... and I don't have photos, sorry... but here's a start!

SureFire L1 Evolution

Gen1: Body has four flats. Head is short and tapered. Lens is flat. Bezel is plain (NOT scalloped). Optic is NX05. Emitter is Luxeon low dome.

Gen2: Like gen1 but bezel is scalloped. I believe some of these came with the SureFire lanyard and attachment in the box. Somewhere along the way the box style changed from cardboard box with lid to cardboard one-piece box with top and bottom flats, internal plastic tray, and clear plastic window through which the L1 is visible.

Gen3: Like gen2 but emitter is Luxeon high dome. Note that optic is still NX05.

Gen4: Head switched to larger, KL4-like head with TIR optic, domed lens, and Luxeon (III?) emitter. Body is still the four flats version. These seem to be relatively rare! Probably a short production run before switching to the newer, rounded body.

Gen5: Like gen4 but body is rounded (no flats).

Gen6: (shown at SHOT 2007) Body seems to be 25% shorter than gen5. Head seems to be a little shorter than gen5 head, with emitter switched to Cree XR-E and optic switched to something similar in appearance to a Fraen LP optic... it appears to have a hole in the center that goes all the way through, although that may not in fact be the case (looked like it did to me, but Size15s reports not)... one can look directly at the emitter dome through this apparent hole.

Last edited:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
milkyspit said:
This is by no means an exhaustive list... and I don't have photos, sorry... but here's a start!

SureFire L1 Evolution

Gen1: Body has four flats. Head is short and tapered. Lens is flat. Bezel is plain (NOT scalloped). Optic is NX05. Emitter is Luxeon low dome.

Gen2: Like gen1 but bezel is scalloped. I believe some of these came with the SureFire lanyard and attachment in the box. Somewhere along the way the box style changed from cardboard box with lid to cardboard one-piece box with top and bottom flats, internal plastic tray, and clear plastic window through which the L1 is visible.

Gen4: Head switched to larger, KL4-like head with TIROS optic, domed lens, and Luxeon (III?) emitter. Body is still the four flats version. These seem to be relatively rare! Probably a short production run before switching to the newer, rounded body.

Gen6: (shown at SHOT 2007) Body seems to be 25% shorter than gen5. Head seems to be a little shorter than gen5 head, with emitter switched to Cree XR-E and optic switched to something similar in appearance to a Fraen LP optic... it has a hole in the center that goes all the way through... one can look directly at the emitter dome through this hole.

Did you get a chance to switch the light on and play witht he generation 6 L1? How was it compared to the ML1 xre?

thanks

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting your findings/knowlege here.

I`ll try to snap a picture of my First Gen L1 and my 5th gen L1 With long clip by the weekend.

The first Gen has been subject to a McR18 and Seoul P4 Mod im afraid...So its not completely stock anymore.

Off topic

How hard is it to swap the TIR for a MCR20 in the 5th Gen L1 btw?
Ive tryed unscrewing but it wont budge..

Same goes for lense,what will be the apropriate to use?

Benny

Flashdark

Enlightened
Interesting!

Milky, have you given any thought as to what you can do with the new L1 to make it even better?!?! I'm always in the market for one of your ungrades!

Flashdark sends,
Flashdark spends, again.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting! Is the LED actually exposed or does it still have some optic over it at the bottom of this hole? Sounds like a very innovative optic and I like the 25% shorter - sounds like one to add to the want list.

alantch

Enlightened
milkyspit said:

SureFire L1 Evolution

Gen4: Head switched to larger, KL4-like head with TIROS optic, domed lens, and Luxeon (III?) emitter. Body is still the four flats version. These seem to be relatively rare! Probably a short production run before switching to the newer, rounded body.

Gen6: (shown at SHOT 2007) Body seems to be 25% shorter than gen5. Head seems to be a little shorter than gen5 head, with emitter switched to Cree XR-E and optic switched to something similar in appearance to a Fraen LP optic... it has a hole in the center that goes all the way through... one can look directly at the emitter dome through this hole.

ml1andl1sidebysidewx2.jpg

So I guess these are Gen2/3 and Gen4 L1s? The one on the left is of course a Milky'd L1 with UX0J :naughty: and the right one is stock.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is some pictures of my SF L1`s

First a Gen 1 without scallops on the bezel and with the Square body.
Emitter is replaced with a SSC P4 and that is a Cutdown McR18 you see in the head.

CIMG2340.jpg

CIMG2342.jpg

Next is a 5th Gen L1 with the long Clip and Rounded body.

CIMG2339.jpg

Sorry it took so long,
Benny

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
milkyspit said:

SureFire L1 Evolution

Some photos to go with some of the above...

Gen1 Box Front
img-l1-gen1-box-front.jpg

Gen1 Box Back
img-l1-gen1-box-back.jpg

Gen1 Box Inside
img-l1-gen1-box-inside.jpg

Gen1 Flashlight
img-l1-gen1-profile.jpg

Gen1 Angled with NX05 Optic Visible
img-l1-gen1-angle.jpg

Gen1 Look Into NX05 Optic
img-l1-gen1-front.jpg

Closeup of 4-Flats Body (Gen1-Gen4)
img-l1-gen1-flats.jpg

Gen3 Flashlight
img-l1-gen3-profile.jpg

Milky L1 (Gen3 Host)
img-l1-gen3-ml1-standing.jpg

Milky L1 SEOULmated, Look Into Head (Gen3 Host)
img-l1-gen3-ml1-head.jpg

Gen4 Flashlight
img-l1-gen4-profile.jpg

Gen5 Box Front
img-l1-gen5-box-front.jpg

Gen5 Box Back
img-l1-gen5-box-back.jpg

Gen5 Flashlight with Included Lanyard
img-l1-gen5-with-lanyard.jpg

Gen5 Look Into TIR Optic
img-l1-gen5-head.jpg

Gen5 Closeup on Domed Lens
img-l1-gen5-head-closeup.jpg

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pictures of my very late Gen 3 L1-HA-WH and my early Gen 1 L1-BK-RD. Interestingly, the red has a very different, much tighter beam than the white.

L1_003.jpg

L1_004.jpg

L1_008.jpg

Last edited: