My biggest beef with all threads on CPF

InfidelCastro

Banned
Okay, here it is, no bones about it, no ceremony.

The apparent obsession with one cell lights for EDC of many members of CPF.

That's it. That's always my biggest problem while reading the forum.

You can actually fit a THREE CELL LIGHT in your front pocket. Yes, it actually goes all the way to the bottom of your pocket believe it or not. Yes, I know, because I carry a C3 this way. UNBELIEVEABLE AS I KNOW THIS SOUNDS. But I can understand NOT wanting to carry a three cell light around all the time. But when is a two cell light too large? When you're not wearing pants? When you're thinking to yourself, "you know, I just wish I had an even smaller light that I could barely even hold in my hands, THAT WOULD REALLY BE SOMETHING M8.....sighhh.."

There's not a black hole at the bottom of your pocket there that will swallow up your latest score in overpriced threaded aluminum tubing. The cells are lithium, they're NOT that heavy.

A two cell light can completely disappear if you want it to. I carry an E2E with a McClicky. When clipped in, the bottom of the light does not even come near the bottom of my pocket. In fact it's about 3 inches or more short of doing that. Yes, I just wear standard blue jeans or slacks. Not "carpenter's pants" or "MC HAMMER pants" or gangsta pants either.

What is the deal? I can't even HOLD some these one cell lights in my hands very comfortably. I don't want to deal with the short runtimes. I don't want to have the light start out only being 80% or less as bright as the two cell version and slowly fading from there. And I'm also not going to clip it to my highly fashionable Old Navy baseball cap.

I just don't get it. What is it with one cell lights?

I'm not against one cell lights at all. I just don't understand the obsession on the forums with them. So please, somebody explain why the obsession exists.

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I'll give a crack at this, being one of those pesky one cell folks you so despise ;). I'll list few reasons I prefer one cell lights:

1). As you already stated, they are smaller- a bonus (especially in the city where, honestly, my lights don't find that many opportunities to get used- unless I look for opportunities :)).

I'll grant you that many 2 cell lights are quite compact- small enough for it not to really matter, so I'll go on...

2). You only need one replacement cell. Any cell. Just drop it in and go. It either works or it doesn't, and you don't have to worry finding a similarly spent(primaries) or charged(rechargable) partner or risk a leaky battery.

3.) Single cell lights are just plain safer. You don't hear stories about single cell lights blowing holes through cabnets since they were left in a drawer for a month and decided it was time to explode. I'll go a step further and state that I've "downgraded" my lights to run exclusively on AA and AAA batteries- no more CR123s for me, and no LiON. Generally, its alks or NiMH- I'll still go with the energizer Lithium AAs for my single cell AA lights as I haven't heard of any disasters with these.

In conclusion, I have found that having a single cell EDC is just generally more convienient, while not sacrificing all that much- aka. we are at a point when decent brightness and runtime can be had from one cell. That said, if there is a huge advantage in using 2 cells, I'm still game as long as it isn't cr123s. Actually, right now I am somewhat interested in the Fenix L2D CE, though I wouldn't EDC it. I would love to see a really compact 2AAA side by side light that could take advantage of the higher voltage/current draw posible with this set up and still be very thin/ pager shaped. Think something like a mini-Spy '05, with a cree in there...drool. A man can dream.

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, a one cell is more comfortable for in pocket carry. No matter, I have to adjust/shift the light in my front pocket when I get into the car. The 1.5-2 are obvious in the pocket while the 1x isn't as... The preference would be for the 1.5-2x as it is more comfortable in-hand. Again, it comes back to that the light will see more time off then on, so my compromise is the size. YMMV

NAW

Enlightened
I have a 9P that I carry in my pockets some time but it gets a bit annoying.

If I can get the same brightness from a P90 from a smaller light, its hard not to think about "out with the old, and in with the new." :)

Glen C

Enlightened
Infidel, would you like to see my new Cree LOD CE? :lolsign:

Luckily there are many sections here and we all have different tastes. I must say a 3 cell light with the LF 380 lumen lamp is my favourite too.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
"You can actually fit a THREE CELL LIGHT in your front pocket"

Well, I suppose you can. But would ppl want to do that? people have their own preference. I like single celled light, because, as carl said, you dont need to make sure two or even three of your cell are charged. This of course, does not depend on the size of the light. I carry my PR 5W BB in L4 body as edc simply because it is being feed 17670. Had it only accept two cell batteries, it would have gone to the marketplace.

Actually, maybe you should rephrase the statement. Do you mean the obsession with light that can only accept single battery? or the obsession of carrying a light with single cell inside? both terms are similar, but they are different.

carrot

Flashaholic
One-cell is easy and simple.

That said, I still carry my A2 and my C2 or G2z in my jacket pocket because they are the "right size" to grip and offer an amount of output and runtime that I am comfortable with. I do sometimes carry a small one-celled light, but that is usually only when I am trying to EDC lightweight and not when I expect to have to use the light extensively. I hope that in the future a single-celled light will meet my "needs" and wants, but I am quite happy with what I've got. I still consider my 'signature' A2 to be "small," anyway...

I do not think it is really up to any single person as to what other people's preferences should be, but it is an interesting trend.

cdosrun

Enlightened
My experience is much the same as that above, so I will only be brief. I used to carry a MiniMag (with leds latterly) and I had to keep it in a holster because it required constant adjustment in my pocket. Every time I sat down, or got into the car, it poked or prodded me. Admittedly, I wore trousers most of the time, and the pockets are not always as generous as with jeans. People used to comment on it a lot, as every time I sat down, it stuck out beneath my clothing when holstered.

The single-celled lights can fit into a pocket in almost any orientation without being overly obtrusive, even holstered on a hip, they are smaller. Since the MiniMag, I have had a P1 (and now a P1D-ce as well) holstered, and haven't had anyone notice them.

The runtime/brightness trade off on the newer single celled LED lights is pretty good and in England, the power is *always* on. There are plenty of reasons to carry double/tripled celled lights, but I don't seem to need them at the moment and I presume, from the interest in them, that many people are the same. The bigger ones stay at home or in the car until I need them.

Andrew

frisco

Enlightened
I could do the famous "Banana" joke here but I'll show restraint.

You do have to understand that you are in the minority here..... I think it's cool that you like to carry a three cell light in your pocket.... But just cause it fits in your pocket doesn't mean it's comfortable or should be the norm. I have pocket carried an E2E/L4, but that's as large as I would go and it wouldn't be EDC.
I like single cell lights for most the reasons solstice gives.
I guess the obsession exists cause it's more practical and safe?

frisco

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my biggest beefs is people wanting everyone to use what they use without consideration for their situation.

We are not all the same. Our wants and needs are not the same. It would be pretty sad if we had a flashlight dictator that said this is the light you must carry for this reason because I carry it.

On the other hand I think it is great that people will tell about the virtues of one light or another. Just don't stick people all in the same catagory or hole.

Geologist

Enlightened
Most of my EDCs are the same brightness regardless of cell size. That being said, the battery size (or number for multi-cell lights) is more a factor of run-time vs. overall output. If I need more runtime, I just change the battery tube from 123 size to 150 or 168 size. In winter months, I usually have a two cell (2XR123/P90 SF C2) or three cell (2X150S/P91 SF C3) in the pocket, but my EDC (Bulk Chameleon with 1X123) usuallY can handle daily tasks (usage time 30-60 minutes daily).

Of course with all these new fancy high output emitters hitting the market - well my SF incadesecents may soon find more time on "the shelf" telling war stories with the queens....

But now that I think about it - my "Torch" can FIT in my pocket..... hmmmmmm.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guilty as charged. Not only do I recommend 1 cell.....I recommend 1AAA.

Factors that make me use/recommend 1AAA lights.
Together with coin cell they fit on a keychain. One way to make sure the light does not get left behind.
I live downtown. There are these things built into the road called streetlights. I use my EDC to read menus in dark restaurants, programs in theatres (once or twice a year). I also may need to find my way home in a blackout (once every 5 years, lights up the sidewalk 10-20 feet in front of me 2-3 hours).
I wear jeans with fairly small tight pockets. Bigger lights do not 'disapear' into them.

I realise some people use their EDC a lot more than I do or have standardised on AA equipment only. If I remember I will recommend a 1AA light as well.

I am not convinces I nees 123A lights. A 123 cell provides the same voltage as 2AA in 1/3 the length. But they are hard to get and expensive at a local store. The rechargeables need more careful handling than AA/AAA NiMH (I have accedentally put NiMH into a charger backwards, I shudder to think what would bave happened with a Li-on.).

I tried to carry a River Rock 2AAA in my pocket once. Used the extra long pocket clip to keep it vertical. It managed to work itself free. Luckily it fell into my pocket instead of out so I did not loose it. I have stayed with 1 cell lights deep in my pockets since.

2x123A have enough voltage that a boost circuit is unnecesaary. Without a boost circuit (usually the limiting factor) the LEDs can be driven to the full potential easily (read brighter lights). But add the explosion risk to the reasons I have for not getting 123A lights, and they are not on my radar.

2 years ago, the only easy way to build bright small lights is to use 123A batteries. Since Fenix showed with the L1 that boost circuits that drinve Luxeons properly can be made at a reasonable cost, I do not see the need for 123A cells.

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
InfidelCastro said:
Not "MC HAMMER pants".
Hammer, is a true EDC icon, next to McGuyver of course. I mean, MC Hammer could EDC a Costco HID in those things!
mchammersmall.jpg

BTW: Single cell lights rule! :rock:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of us carry other gear (EDC) in addition to a flashlight. Smaller lights leave room to carry other items.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Guilty. I just don't like a lot of stuff in my pockets. Even gave up carrying a lumpy wallet years ago. Little single cell AAA lights will fit in jean's change pockets or front pockets and be unnoticeable to me. Tried my Civictor for a few days and even it seemed too big/heavy. Now if I really needed a bigger light it might be a different story.

Geoff

paulr

Flashaholic
Well the point of a 3x123 light is usually high power and long throw, which means a big reflector, and I've in fact found that a Streamlight TL3 doesn't easily fit in my pocket. I guess the SF 9P might fit better for those users who are less concerned with throw.

My old favorite the UK 2L with the non-shrouded bezel fit in a pocket easily and I used to carry it a fair amount. But it's obsolete now because of the Fenix L1p and more recently the L0D CE, both of which put out comparable lumens at much less battery cost, without bulbs burning out, and in the L0D's case with a much smaller light.

A CR123A cell is about the same volume as an AA cell and has about the same amount of energy, but unlike an AA alkaline cell you can get all the energy out of the 123A in one hour without big losses. This made the 123A a bold choice for the original pocket superlight, the Surefire 6P in the 1980's, when rechargeable AA's had much lower capacity than the AA nicads of the era (the rechargeable version of the 6P was the 6R and was larger and used sub-C's). These days, NiMH AA's can handle high rate discharge, and hold as much energy as alkaline AA's, so for most purposes they beat CR123A's.

2AAA and 3AAA lights are actually a peeve of mine--a single AA has almost as much energy as three AAA's and usually costs about the same, so I'd generally much rather have a 1AA light than a comparable 3AAA. I've wished for years that someone would make a 1AA headlamp comparable to a PT Aurora or Petzl Zipka/Tikka.

With recent LED efficiency improvements, small incans seem to me to be pretty much obsolete. The 2AA Fenix L2D CE puts out more lumens than any 2x123 incan except maybe a P61, with supposedly over two hours of runtime on a pair of NiMH AA's. Its output is apparently in the same league with a 3x123 incan. When I get one I'm planning to do a shootout against my SL TL3 with it.

On other points, in general I agree with Solstice's post above.

Latest posts