• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired M@g Charger Mod: reflector question

iapyx

Enlightened
Hi all,

A google search on CPF for ´m@g charger reflector´ didn´t help me, so I´m posing my question here. Forgive me if it´s an old topic.. :sssh:

I´ve upgraded my MC with a WA01160 bulb and a 4000mAH NiMh battery pack.
It´s amazing. There are however still two things that I dislike about my MC and that´s

- the hole in the middle when focussing wide.
- the throw when focussing narrow: the beam is not a nice round circle.

Are here at CPF reflectors for sale for the MC that show improvements at these two ´disadvantages´?

thanks,
iapyx

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
iapyx said:
- the hole in the middle when focussing wide.
- the throw when focussing narrow: the beam is not a nice round circle.

iapyx

This is a "feature" of all M@g lights, that wonderful black hole. You don't like it? Just joking. What you are seeing is very normal for M@g.

With most of the WA bulbs, you will never have a perfect circle. If you look at the filament you will see it is a horizontal coil. This coil is reflected and you see a "bow-tie" or "8" laying on its side hot spot. You can almost eliminate this with a heavy stipple reflector, but it won't be a perfect circle.
You will also lose a lot of throw with this reflector.

A perfect circle is achieved with an axial filament bulb. In this lamp, the filament runs vertically, so the hot spot is very round.

You get used to the shape after a while.

This is one of my most used hot-wires.

bridgman

Enlightened
MC reflectors do seem to be offered for sale from time to time, but I haven't seen anything available recently. I was just playing with one of the MOP reflectors that Litho123 is offering (along with WA bulbs) and it really does a nice job on an almost-stock Mag 4D. I think something like that (Medium Orange Peel, ie a very mild texture) would be great in an MC -- anything more and you start to lose some of that nice long-range beam.

Having said all that, my current thinking is to focus the Magcharger to a tight spot and leave it alone -- the spill is bright enough for most applications -- and pair it up with a small, flood-y light for close-up use.

I think this place is getting to me.

iapyx

Enlightened
thanks for the info.

In the meantime I´m on the way to building a M@g85
Since I like the size of the 2D more, I´ve decided to build a M@g11 (in case it doesn´t have a name here´s one).
That´s a 2D with 6x14500 by litho123.

Geez, I´m new to this forum since I guess end of 2006 and already addicted.
A M@g85 is on the wishlist.

Oh, I´ve a MOP reflector, but I guess a LOP is more suitable for the MC.

Guess my wallet won´t like it that I joined this forum :)

ciao/iapyx