headlamp vs. niteize headband

DJ Q

Newly Enlightened
If I equip a niteize headband with a 3AA or 2AA Magled, will it be brighter than the headlamps out in the market ie. PrincetonTec, Petzl, etc?

The niteize/Magled solution would be versatile just in case I need a flashlight without a head band. Also, I could just keep the headband in the car and clip on my keychain EDC or Magled in case I need the headband action. In this case, what lights would fit the niteize headband?

So, is there an advantage to having a "pure" headband light like the Princetons or Petzls versus the Magled or any other light with the niteize solution?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You

paulr

Flashaholic
The Magleds are not very bright and a Niteize headband is a clever and useful gadget for multi-purposing a handheld light, but not as nice to use as a real headlamp optimized for that purpose.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
paulr said:
The Magleds are not very bright and a Niteize headband is a clever and useful gadget for multi-purposing a handheld light, but not as nice to use as a real headlamp optimized for that purpose.
Agreed... I bought a NiteIze headband for use with my more "powerful" lights, and found that it's nowhere near as usefull - the lack of elastic is a minus as well. There's just no getting around it - you need a headlamp!!

greenLED

Flashaholic
DJ Q said:
ok...if I strapped a better light onto the niteize like a P1DCE, would a headlamp still be more "optimal"?
Sure, you get a light on your head and you can use your hands, and a P1D CE is far brighter than a MinimagLED 3AA. You won't be able to angle the light up/down, and aiming it straight can bet tricky, though.

Is that "optimal" for you? It isn't quite optimal for me, but if I was in a tight spot and only had a handheld light and a Nite-Ize strap, I'd go for it.

DJ Q

Newly Enlightened
what are the more "trusted" brands of headlamps out there? Should I go with the 3-band style? or the single around-the-forehead-style? I'd like an LED lamp around 20-30 dollar range. thanks for the replies

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
DJ Q said:
what are the more "trusted" brands of headlamps out there? Should I go with the 3-band style? or the single around-the-forehead-style? I'd like an LED lamp around 20-30 dollar range. thanks for the replies
It really depends on your uses - I prefer smaller form-factors, so the Princeton Tec EOS & Quad, and the Petzl Tikka XP & Tikka Plus are all perfect for me. I own the EOS and the Tikka Plus, and love both of them. The EOS for when I need a little more throw, and the Tikka Plus for close-up stuff (although the EOS is still OK for that, the Tikka Plus or the PT Quad are floodier).

:) john

paulr

Flashaholic
Princeton, Petzl, and Streamlight are all good brands. The best is Stenlight but it's way out of your price range.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you already have the niteize headband just use one of your existing lights, that would be much cheaper. Most of the purpose built headlamps are specifically built for total
hands free and may be better suited

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a headlamp brighter is NOT always better. Especially when working on something close range. Reflection can hinder visiblity. If you buy a headlamp make it one with variable brightness settings.

gunga

Flashaholic
I have to agree with many of the posts above, I picked up a Nite-Ize headband, and find it's just not as comfortable and adjustable as a well designed headlamp (ie PT EOS or Quad).

While it is cheap and will do in a pinch, it would be better if it was elastic...

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
gunga said:
I have to agree with many of the posts above, I picked up a Nite-Ize headband, and find it's just not as comfortable and adjustable as a well designed headlamp (ie PT EOS or Quad)...While it is cheap and will do in a pinch, it would be better if it was elastic...

I've tried one and was not impressed - better than nothing, but not much. Why NiteIze decided not to use an adjustable elastic headband is beyond me.

I salvaged an elastic headband from an old headlamp and plan to stitch on a couple of elastic loops of different sizes to hold flashlights.

It would be nice if someone would make an adjustable elastic headband with some kind of pivot to which small flashlights could be attached. Being able to adjust the angle of the light would really help.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Just got my Streamlight Argo HP in today.... highly recomended... this is not the most impressive light for brightness or beam quality, but it is very well executed. It's sturdy, small, and the regulation circuit keeps it going on high with very little loss of output for about a solid 5 hours- there are many MORE expensive headlamps available that don't have regulated runtime that's this good.

ibcj

Enlightened
I'm very surprised that Niteize hasn't switched to elastic or someone else hasn't used elastic for this type of application. I ended up buying a cheap piece of elastic and sewing my own headbamp to hold my CR2 Ion XRE or other AA lights. It's not pretty but it works.

I'm hoping that someone (Fenix are you listening ?) makes an elastic headband which can hold AA/AAA/CR123/CR2 style lights. They could be make relatively cheap. They are lightweight and provide another option with your flashlight.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the headband because it will hold a Fenix well, and even a Q3, though tightly and it's a tad heavy. If you're backpacking it'd save you having to pack a headlamp and spare batteries. Next camping trip I'm going to try just the Fenix/Q3 with the headband, and see if it will replace a headlamp for me. Hell, last trip I ended up clipping the Q3 to my glasses at one point during the night.

mchlwise

Enlightened
ringzero said:
It would be nice if someone would make an adjustable elastic headband with some kind of pivot to which small flashlights could be attached. Being able to adjust the angle of the light would really help.

:drool:

I'll take it!

Somebody does seriously need to make something like this.

I've got a NiteIze headband, and it's not as bad as some posts make it appear. When you have a flashlight and need to use both hands, it is FAR better than using your teeth. :sick2: I've used it many times when I've been outdoors, mostly using the flashlight for short times just handheld, but then have needed to use both hands for a time on a project or whatever.

If you're going to be using it for extended amounts of time, and have the room/weight available to pack both, a headlight is definitely the way to go.

I say pack both, because if I had to choose between the two, I'd take the flashlight over the headlight any day.

I usually don't have the room or inclination to carry both, and don't use it for more than an hour at a time, so the NiteIze is just fine.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero said:

Yes, this would be ideal for something like an HDS light. I would pick up a few if someone could source these.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago I used the Niteize band with a modded Mini-mag.....I recently purchased the PT EOS and I can tell you that there is absolutely no comparison in my opinion.