Will Fenix go Seoul as well?

Andromeda

Newly Enlightened
I hope to see one P1D size Seoul LED light as my new EDC. :laughing: Will it happen? Fenix just jumped over to the Cree bandwagon, I hope they are quick to adopt the Seoul semicon LED as well. Come'on Fenix!

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope not. I've heard they are easier on the manufacturers, and modders because they more easily use a Luxeon reflector, but they do have some problems. Take a look at the Sandwich Shoppe section here on CPF. Person after person is complaining about the tints of their Seoul LEDs. My P1D-CE is super white, and that seems to be true for most people with the P1D-CE (which has a Cree).:)

FatTony

Newly Enlightened
I put a SSC P4 U-Bin in my Fenix L2T at the weekend and I'm really impressed with it. It's definately brighter but more importantly the tint is a perfect neutral white, before it looked white but came out a little on the blue side in photos.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, I was just at the Sandwich Shoppe and clicked on the reviews button where nothing was shown in regards to complaints. More than likely, Fenix is probably only going to commit to one next/new generation LED technology at the moment. As for the next Luxeon, well that most likely will happen but it's going to be a while. I would be a bit surprised of we actually see a new Luxeon product in the next 60 days. From everything I've heard, the earliest we'd all see the new Luxeon would be the end of March...and that's if they get on the fast track. It'll probably be more likely that we'd see a new Luxeon LED sometime later this year--6+ months from now. Have fun waiting...I plan on enjoying Cree XR-Es and SSCP4s right now...

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very happy with the tint of the Seoul, more so than the Cree.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like a P1 with Seoul P4. That I would buy. I have enough multi functions, what I would like now is a longer running P1.

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
From what I've seen, the Seoul is bluer than the Cree, but then again, I haven't seen enough of them. While the new Luxeon is brighter, are they more efficient than the Cree?

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the Seoul seem to have a more uneven beam pattern than the Cree? My Seouls seem to have a wash of gently changing yellow/white/slightly bluer patches...

easilyled

Flashaholic
Comments about tints for Seoul and Cree seem to be very much based
on personal experience, much like they used to be for luxeons.

There is a range of tints for both of these and they're both capable
of very pure white tints, as well as cooler and warmer tints.

As it happens, my 2 Seoul L.Es from the Sandwich Shoppe are both amongst
the nicest tints of any of my lights, including my luxeons which are supposed
to be superior in tint, if not output.

The Cree-XRE's in my A19 and XR19-C are both a bit warm
and the Cree in my Ti-CR2-XT is definitely cool.

My Fenix-P1D-CE has a very white tint and this is probably because it
has a WC bin.

I would guess that the 2 SSC-P4-U Seoul led's above are either X0
or W0.

When it comes to beam quality, I think the Seoul led's are superior because
of their lambertian output and therefore the reduced likelihood of
rings in the beam.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
mcmc said:
Does the Seoul seem to have a more uneven beam pattern than the Cree? My Seouls seem to have a wash of gently changing yellow/white/slightly bluer patches...

i have seen this too, but only on small, smooth reflectors pointed at white walls. so not much of an issue imo. less of a problem than the cree rings in a smooth or poorly matched reflector as easilyled says.

all the crees I have seen(20+)and seoul(10)have been very nice as far as tint and have matched the bin assigned(if binned). The only seoul I have seen that has been unacceptable tint was a UN-binned one from the shoppe. but I only bought one.

the seoul seems to have the edge for most lux replacement mods. imo

modded my P1 with a seoul today and it ROCKS on an rcr123. didnt mod the reflector, but seems to be good enough. wider hotspot with softer transition. very nice.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
nanotech17 said:
i think Fenix will go straight with the latest Luxeon LED which is more powerful than both of these Cree & SSC P4.

That LED is still vaporware, and will likely be outdone by something from Cree by the time it actually makes it to market.

Latest posts