SSC U-bin P4 = Cree P3-bin XR-E ?

x2x3x2

Banned
From Newbie's graph of various samples, the U-bin P4s seem to be on par with performance of P3-bin XR-Es.
So i would assume that the P4-bin and Q2-bin XR-Es would be much better, yet there has been a sudden rush for these SSC P4?

Is it cos of the more familiar radiation angle which works better with reflectors?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider...

Cree_7090_XR-E_bin_P4.gif

Cree_7090_XR-E_bin_P4_lumens.gif

VERSUS

Seoul_Semiconductor_W42180_bin_U.gif

Seoul_Semiconductor_W42180_bin_U_lu.gif

Monolith

Enlightened
The rush for SSC is based on ease of modding - less or no reflector mods and identical size - just much easier to mod luxeon lights with the SSC P4.

glire

Enlightened
x2x3x2 said:
From Newbie's graph of various samples, the U-bin P4s seem to be on par with performance of P3-bin XR-Es.
So i would assume that the P4-bin and Q2-bin XR-Es would be much better, yet there has been a sudden rush for these SSC P4?

Is it cos of the more familiar radiation angle which works better with reflectors?
Form Newbie's graphs I understand SSC P4 U-bin are on par with "not yet" XR-E Q-bin.

easilyled

Flashaholic
My Nexgen750+SSC-P4-Ubin Seoul LE from Sandwich Shoppe
(in Aleph 1 head) is noticeably brighter than my GD825+Cree-XRE
LE of unknown bin from Sandwich Shoppe (in A19 head).

Draw your own conclusions

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have compared both directly on the identical hosts and batteries. The Seoul is always more intensity, and I some more total lumens based on ceiling bounce.

Here is an example: Lumapower LM-301... Seoul U-Bin vs. Cree P4-Bin

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Last edited:

havand

Enlightened
Maybe how the light is directed and reflected is more efficient with the output pattern o the ssc? (TOTALY speculation disclaimer)

ginaz

Enlightened
i'm guessing the dome media has some effect there as well. gummy bear seems to (strangely) be more efficient?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they results seem to conflict. Difference in equipment integrating the light? Difference in wavelengths being measured? I dunno. :shrug:

Gnufsh

Enlightened
That's watts versus intensity, not current. I think the P4s tend to have a higher vf than an xr-e. The more energy consumed accounts for the higher output, maybe?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens from Watts is my preferred measure of performance.

havand

Enlightened
Look at the pictures again. They may be putting out near identical amounts of light. If you look at the left light, the hotspot is brighter. But, on the right light, the spill is brighter than the left one. It may be as simple as reflector design and output pattern? Just how we perceive the light distribution perhaps?

x2x3x2

Banned
Uhuh, so prolly the U-bin on the SSC P4 may have been misleading to consumers who have considered Lux III U-bins the best bin widely available.

When in fact the SSC P4 U-bin is just about on par with the Cree XR-E P3-bin. One sample of Newbie's P3-bin even gives more output with lack of good heatsinking :p

aljsk8

Enlightened
as a total noob at all this technical - my conclusion is - it all depends where how when why and who the emitter was some will be better than cree some worse - there is no way we can test evey one

i might be wrong

Alex

pokkuhlag

Enlightened
It's easy to explain this, it is measured in intensity. Not total output. With a tighter beam pattern of the cree xre it puts out a more intense beam than seoul with the same lumens. So the u-bin seoul P4 should be putting more overall than a P3 of a cree xre, even though the intensity is the same. Or it's just lottery due to big ranges of the seoul P4.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I believe what I see and for the same amount of current the Seouls
I have are putting out more overall light without any question.

Whether they consume more power in doing so or not is something
I can't say because I haven't done runtime tests.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do the Edison Edixeons compare to the SSC and Cree? There's some FS in the Dealer's section that I've been thinking about getting, but not sure if paying a bit more for a SSC P4 is better.

WeLight

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
Yes, they results seem to conflict. Difference in equipment integrating the light? Difference in wavelengths being measured? I dunno. :shrug:

This may in some explain the reason, from Leds magazine today

''Chromaticity shift is not limited to warm white LEDs. Seoul's new P4 power LED package has a nominal CCT of 6500 K, and a typical output of 85 lm at 350 mA, equivalent to 76 lm/W. Elsewhere on the same P4 datasheet, there is a footnote to say that "the chromaticity coordinate of the LEDs can shift approximately x = 0.02, y = 0.03 in the direction of blue 1000 hours later." So during that time period the CCT could shift to approximately 8200 K. These figures suggest that Seoul's phosphor is very efficient, hence the excellent luminous flux and efficacy, but is not particularly stable over time.''

Cheers
WL