Looking for a K2 Flashlight with Disbursed Beam

Quantumstate

Banned
I've spent hours studying LED flashlights, and am just getting more confused.

What I know:
- Want a K2 flashlight
- More disbursed beam than hot spot
- Must be short, to fit in pocket, so either 1 AA, 1 AAA, 3AAA's in triangle, or 18650
- Submersible

The only K2 flashlights I've found so far are these:
http://www.e-lectronics.net/luxeon-stage-flashlight-18650-p-336.html
http://www.goldengadgets.com/product_info.php?products_id=325

... and I haven't found a review on them.

I really like the features of the JetBeam, but he hasn't responded to my question on a K2 model.

Are there any other options? I am willing to convert something and am handy with a soldering iron, although I am concerned about the quality of mini-maglights after reading this forum.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PalmBlaze - the same item being sold on my site and on gold gadgets is a great light but it's beam is best described as an intense floodlight in a sense it's all hotspot with little spill.

If you want SPILL (the light that goes left, right up and down, but not forward) I highly recommend a 2007 model Inova T3 which has a K2. If you want a broad blood the Palmblaze is your light.

Quantumstate

Banned
Ya, the Palm-Blaze is one of my links above, and it is impressive. Except it takes CR123A's, which I want to avoid (expensive, hard-to-find in the field, and non-rechargable), and when they say:
New Collimator Lens creates 100% conversion to Focused Square Beam
... it doesn't sound like a very dispersed beam. I'm a real estate broker, and need to illuminate fairly large areas of dark basements.

I'd gone through Inova's website, but there's no sign of a T3. I'm looking more for a floodlight.

Matt, I'm confused with your description of the Palm-Blaze? Seems like you're saying it has both spot and flood.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova website is hopelessly out of date. Here is a prereview with beamshots of the 2003 Inova T3 I posted - pics aren't great :p https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/151281

The PalmBlaze won't be the right choice now that you've described your application. The PalmBlaze's output is very unique. Let's clarify some terms first though; hotspot or throw is the part that's concentrated at the center; spill is light outside of the main hotspot. A floodlight is a broad beam. The PalmBlaze outputs a concentrated flood - basically a very large, diffuse hotspot with no central 'hotspot' - here's a review with beamshots http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=144814

What you really want is a Surefire L4 - $160 and uses CR123A's but exactly the beam qualities your asking after and very pocketable. We include 16 free batteries and free domestic shipping at that price so at least you'll have a good supply of batteries to start. :)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option is the LumaPower D-Mini with an orange peel reflector, again it uses CR123A's but basically all of the best lights do.

The T3 may be too big to be truly pocketable.

Lastly the LEDWAVE X-55 is VERY similar to a Surefire L4 optically and costs about 1/2 as much - and is truly pocketable.

Quantumstate

Banned
Thanks Matt. Looks like the PalmBlaze is not for me as too 'hotspot', but I'm reading in one place that it has a 1W LED, but in another place that it's 130 lumens. I thought the 7W K2 was 130 lumens? Which one's right?

Looks like the D-Mini doesn't have the K2. Although it does have a glow-in-the-dark button, which is real nice.

The X-55 looks awfully tactical. And it only puts out 65 lumens.

Those darned CR132A's. I guess they're 3V. What voltage are the 17650's? Would they substitute?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PalmBlaze is a Luxeon K2 running at 1.5A which is 130 lumens at the emitter.

The D-Mini has a Cree XR-E 7090 which is brighter and more effieienct than a K2.

The X-55's output is ACTUAL output from the flashlight not from the emitter. Most other manufacturers would call it 100+ lumens. Don't get too caught up in the marketing BS of watts and (mis) reported lumens. The X-55 uses a Luxeon V emitter - same as the 100 lumen Surefire L4. What you're asking for, bright and with lots of spill, is basically a tactical flashlight so don't be surprised if many have that look.

I would not recomment 17650's or 17670's in any flashlight that does not specifically state that it's made for them and would suggest using PCB protected cells only if you go that route. Frankly, and please don't take this wrong, secondary lithium cells aren't for beginners - you need to know more about them and their inherent risks before jumping in.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quantumstate said:
Those darned CR132A's. I guess they're 3V. What voltage are the 17650's? Would they substitute?
In some cases, yes. You can run a 17650/17670 cell in an L4 just fine, provided it would fit. Many of the newer L4 lights have a very tight fit for 17mm cells, though. It's too bad, since an L4 with a rechargable li-ion cell sounds like exactly what you are after.

You could also try a Fenix L2D. They're much cheaper than an L4, and probably put out as much light. They also cheerfully run of a pair of rechargeable AA NiMH cells. To get the beam pattern you want, you probably need to etch the glass on the front. You might get away with a bit of Press'N'Seal, or a WriteRite. It might take a small piece of sandpaper and some elbow grease, or a tiny drop of etching cream.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3, K2 lights. The first 2 are the K2 B-18WB and the Lumapower DX1 K2 Module.

Both lights have a small corona some side spill.

Left, K2 B-18WB. Right, Lumapower DX1 K2 Module

dsc04326smallrx3.jpg

Left, K2 B-18WB. Right, Lumapower DX1 K2 Module

dsc04251smallqo4.jpg

Beam shot comparsion. K2 B-18WB is using a shiny reflector. Lumapower DX1 K2 Module is using a OP reflector.

Left, K2 B-18WB. Right, Lumapower DX1 K2 Module @ 96"

dsc04252smallgb8.jpg

Left, K2 B-18WB. Right, Lumapower DX1 K2 Module @ 96" Stepped down exposure.

dsc04253smallol8.jpg

K2 B-18WB @ 96"

dsc04254smallez1.jpg

Lumapower DX1 K2 Module @ 96"

dsc04256smallax7.jpg

K2 B-18WB @ 96" Stepped down exposure.

dsc04255smallvk2.jpg

Lumapower DX1 K2 Module @ 96" Stepped down exposure.

dsc04257smalljr4.jpg

The 3rd K2 light is the ElektroLumens Tri-Blaster-3XK2-4C.

dsc03471smallzy8.jpg

dsc03450smallxo2.jpg

ElektroLumens Tri-Blaster-3XK2-4C @ 73"

dsc03461smallki8.jpg

ElektroLumens Tri-Blaster-3XK2-4C

dsc03494smalltz4.jpg

Quantumstate

Banned
Not sure what an L4 is, but it sounds like 4 batteries?

The D-Mini has a Cree XR-E 7090 which is brighter and more efficient than a K2.
WHAT?! My whole rationale with staying with K2 is that it is presumably most efficient for its brightness. K2 is Philips, which I trust. Who makes Cree? Do they have a lifetime warranty in any flashlight? (proxy for quality)

For some reason the damned popup on the D-Mini beam patterns is failing so I can't see what they are.

How does the D-Mini compare in beam-pattern (orange-peel) with the UltraFire WF602A1?

Unfortunately the Fenix L2D is too long to be pocketable, but how does the beam-pattern and brightness of the L1D compare with the D-Mini?

Markcm

Newly Enlightened
This is a 3watt, not a K2 but it meets the other requirements and it is fully focusable as well, check out the Hi TECH E3, it's a direct drive 18650 waterproof focusable 3 watt LED. I have more LED models to come in the near future as well.

dig-it

Newly Enlightened
I don`t own this model, but I understand it puts out a wall of light and uses AA batteries. Can be had for around $30. I own the luxeon version which is an excellent light.

STREAMLIGHT ProPolymer 4AA LED
  • (7) 100,000 hour LEDs
  • Run time up to 155 hours

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 is 2 CR123A batteries and is very small.

The K2 was the king for a while, now the Cree is king by quite a substantial margin. Surefire will be releasing Cree based lights, eventually, that's a pretty good indicator of their viability and expected durability. Cree is the mfr, based in South Carolina.

The D-Mini is about 4 times brighter than the 602A1. The 602A1 does have a shorter focal distance so it does throw quite a bit of sidespill.

I don't have an L1D to compare to a D-Mini.

Quantumstate said:

WHAT?! My whole rationale with staying with K2 is that it is presumably most efficient for its brightness. K2 is Philips, which I trust. Who makes Cree? Do they have a lifetime warranty in any flashlight? (proxy for quality)

For some reason the damned popup on the D-Mini beam patterns is failing so I can't see what they are.

How does the D-Mini compare in beam-pattern (orange-peel) with the UltraFire WF602A1?

Unfortunately the Fenix L2D is too long to be pocketable, but how does the beam-pattern and brightness of the L1D compare with the D-Mini?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's WAY too big to be pocketable.

dig-it said:
I don`t own this model, but I understand it puts out a wall of light and uses AA batteries. Can be had for around $30. I own the luxeon version which is an excellent light.

STREAMLIGHT ProPolymer 4AA LED
  • (7) 100,000 hour LEDs
  • Run time up to 155 hours

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi quantum,
I'll try to keep it as short and simple as possible. :)

The K2...
(made by the "Luxeon" company, LumiLed , which is now owned by Phillips) :huh:...
is the best currently available from that particular company. But K2s are power hogs using up to 7W, so you wont find a bright K2 running off an AA.

The current king of the hill for LEDs as already stated by those before me is a company named Cree. The new Cree XRE LEDs are relatively new in terms of mainstream consumers; so no one outside of industry workers and enthusiasts know of them for now.
There are many more detaiils but none relavent to you wanting a light that will perform its job. Crees are a quality product.

As for batteries, I used to think CR123's were a pain too. But thats from looking at $10 for a 2-pack at Target. You can get them for around $1 apiece from places like batteryjunction.

Now onto light recomendations...

My first response to your initial criteria, other than wondering why you wanted a K2, was an Inova X5.
It uses 5 "standard" LEDs instead of a single high watt LED, but it gives off a good flood of light which I think is what you're looking for.
It runs off of two CR123 Batteries. It is built like a tank, fully waterproof, and not too large. You should be able to find tons of feedback about the X5 here on CPF.
You can buy them for around $30. Not a terrible gamble IMO.

Speaking of which, if you're looking for the "Mercedes" of flashlights you can buy the just plain awesome Surefire lights that have been already suggested. They are some of the most highly reguarded lights period. (And they will be using Cree emitters in a few months)

Fenix Lights are another option. You can get them with the new Cree for around $55. They aren't area flood lights but they can be run from common AA or AAA cells and throw a massive ammmount of light forward for their small size. Jetbeams are a bit harder to get, and perhaps just a bit nicer.

There are other options too, but I'll leave it at these 3.

Good Luck

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quantumstate said:
The Surefire L4 runs off two CR123A cells, or a single 17670 li-ion cell. It is about 5.1 inches long. It puts out a tremendous amount of light, and runs for about an hour on a set of batteries. It has a Luxeon V (which has a relatively large emitting area) combined with a short, small diameter reflector. The beam pattern is very floody.

Quantumstate said:
My whole rationale with staying with K2 is that it is presumably most efficient for its brightness.
K2 doesn't seem to be much more efficient than a good Lux III. It is just rated to handle more power. Cree is much more efficient.

Quantumstate said:
Unfortunately the Fenix L2D is too long to be pocketable...
The L2D is about 5.8 inch long. In your original post, you mentioned 18650 powered lights. I haven't seen many 18650 lights that are much shorter than about 4.5 inches. What is your limit for pocketability?

Quantumstate

Banned
Wow, y'all have some great info here, thanks. Very helpful forum.

I've done some research on batteries, and here's what I find:

AAA - 1.5V 1000mAh 10mm x 44mm 14g
AA - 1.5V 1700 mAh 14mm x 50mm 28g
CR123A - 3.0 V 600 mAh 16.5mm x 32.5mm
17650 - 3.7V 1350mAH 17mm x 67.3mm 38g
17670 - 3.7V 1500mAH 17mm x 67.3mm 38g
18650 - 3.7V 2000mAH 18.3mm x 64.8mm 45g

So it is possible to put one 17670 in place of two CR123A's, but the voltage would be 3.7 rather than 6, so good regulation circuity for the lamp is necessary. Although you'd have higher nominal charge capacity with the 17670, current draw would be higher to compensate for lower voltage, so burn time would be less. And there's always the possibility that the case tolerances are so tight that a 17670 would be too fat and long.

I just do not want CR123A's, and am trying to get away from single-use AA & AAA, as I'm a confirmed Greenie.

I am gathering that Titanium brand batteries are desirable and economical, but I want to avoid LiIon batteries with a cobalt anode. (environmentally uncool) Anyone know what the anode material is in the Titaniums? Is there any such thing as rechargable CR123A's?

To me, pocketable is what will fit in my suit coat pocket, which is 6" wide, but allowing for the thickness of the flashlight means a max of 5" - 5.5" long, depending on the form-factor. I am willing to buy one with 3 AAA cells in triangle, but it seems this is just not done.

I searched the Streamlight website for the L4 here, but could not find it.

Yep, it sure seems like the Cree XRE is my LED. The D-Mini seems like a candidate. And the Inova X5 is a candidate, if it approaches the brightness of the D-Mini, especially if I can load it with a 17670. The Fenix L2D is just too long, but the L1D has the Cree XRE and takes an AA rechargable, and has AR coating on the glass. Although its brightness isn't what it would be with a 17670 battery, and it's not a flood.