Why do people write M*g?

carrot

Flashaholic
Because they are being infantile and silly. Or maybe they are just following what others say... It is just like the Linux and Mac fanboys who call Microsoft "Micro$oft," just to show their "spite" for the company.

IMO it just makes it harder to search for threads.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's supposed to be an insult, but everyone here has gotten so high on using it that they've started to assign greater cosmic importance, especially as new users start using it from day one and don't realize how silly it looks. Whatever the reason it makes finding anything impossible via search.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah it was back when m*g was suing everyone over silly reasons to shut them down. So when someone modded a m*g, for fear that m*g would sue them for using their light and selling it, they would censor it out and say m*g.

1) 3D m*g modded with a V2T high dome luxeonV! :p

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Habit probably. Also, if you are selling M*g 85 lights you want to be clear that you are in no way related to Maglite.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
It always seemed to me like people who did that considered "Mag" to be a dirty word, so they censored themselves.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the impression that some people think that Mag Instruments is some huge conglomerate and they had flexed their muscles by taking legal action against a CPF member who was selling lights that infringed on Mag's trademark or design.

The fact that Mag, and any other company, is obligated to exercise due diligence in protecting their intellectual property or lose the right to do so does not appear to be a factor that was taken into account from what I can see. Realistically, as far as companies go, Mag appears to be a small to middle sized company that is a wholly owned entity.

zeeexsixare said:
Why do people write M*g instead of Mag? Trademark or what?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that there are a number of valid reasons why some won't write a post with that word in it -- valid to some individual posters, anyway. IIRC one of the reasons closed the last thread I read on this subject.

Illum

Flashaholic
carrot said:
Because they are being infantile and silly. Or maybe they are just following what others say... It is just like the Linux and Mac fanboys who call Microsoft "Micro$oft," just to show their "spite" for the company.

IMO it just makes it harder to search for threads.

not infantile, in more of a humorous manner.. M4g, M@g, M*g, etc...even down to Maggot, minimaggot...:ohgeez:

heard of Smackro-soft?

Vickers

Enlightened
It seems to be a dimwitted attempt to show contempt...on a guitar forum I visit some folks write "Gib$on" for instance.

As Brighteyez mentions above, if you do not take measures to protect your copyrights you lose them.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
There is no point taking out copyright unless you are prepared to send in the lawyers to defend it; otherwise, don't bother.

But is it true that Mag sued Arc for putting a logo on the top of a flashlight barrel, at the head? That comes across as a misuse of corporate muscle.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the more common examples of registered trademarks that have become generic household descriptions of products of any brand are Kleenex, Xerox, and Windex. Maglite is already a somewhat generic term in the mainstream consumer market and used to describe any black metal flashlight. And the use of the brand iPod to describe any digital player may not be far away.

Vickers said:
As Brighteyez mentions above, if you do not take measures to protect your copyrights you lose them.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't know for sure, and without knowing details, I'd be less inclined to arrive at summary conclusions. There are precedents for "Look and feel" complaints in the civil courts.

Pax et Lux said:
But is it true that Mag sued Arc for putting a logo on the top of a flashlight barrel, at the head? That comes across as a misuse of corporate muscle.

Monolith

Enlightened
The intent of using "M@G" and other forms is to prevent Mag from finding negative posts using a search engine. Mag is serious about defending its IP and uses Jones Day for its litigation.

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
When I came here, I saw others (everyone?) doing it, so I did it. But, I figured is was either for the legal issues, or so that people out onGoogle searching for a M<a>glight WOULDN'T wind up here.

Why that made sense, I don't know.

But, in our laywer-driven society, it makes sense to just keep doing it.

fixman88

Newly Enlightened
They can't stop you from using their name unless they have managed to suspend the First Amendment. If they'll sue you for just using their name they they're paranoid! I've seen some people do the same thing with Wal-Mart (they'll type W@l Mart or Walm*rt).