Added an L4 to keep my E2L company

LawKid

Newly Enlightened
I love my newly bought E2L so much that I had to get the L4 as well.

I'm amazed at how bright it is. It doesn't look like a donut though, if anything the center is brighter than the other regions. It could be an older version though. I had to drive 50 miles to the store which had it in stock. Apparently it's so popular that every other store in the entire area is sold out and not getting any for at least a week or more.

I just had some free time today and decided to drive on up, plus seeing some LMT AR-15 rifles wasn't bad either.

I was originally going to order it from a CPF discount dealer, but I wanted to see it first. After the drive though, I decided to just go for it while I was there and spend the little extra (although I got a slight discount).

It's awesome. Brighter than any other flashlight I've seen.

Now my wallet needs some time. I have a few purchases that need to be made before I can buy anymore flashlights, but I think I'm set for a while.

Plus I got 2 boxes of Surefire batteries in the mail today - so I'm good to go.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 is a fantastic light. I bought a well worn KL4 head off B/S/T, and I love it. I wish I had bought one sooner. It really lights up an area better than just about any other pocket sized light I've ever seen.

LawKid

Newly Enlightened
At some point I'd like to get an M6 to use as a searchlight - but I have a bunch of things that are higher in priority.

- stocking up on cases of ammo before these ammo-taxes which are being proposed get passed.
- one more Glock 22 to have as a spare for if my primary is out for service
- 2 LMT AR's (before they're possibly illegal again)
- a whole bunch of cases of MRE's to get ready for next year's hurricane season.
- a new car (the big purchase) - although I still have a couple months before that is needed

FAAbUlights

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations again! I know you haven't had much time to really know what your L4 will be most useful for but having those two lights should cover a wide range of applications. How did you accept the more floody beam of the L4 compared to your E2L? Just curious... I have an L2 and think the flood beam it produces is just awesome.

LawKid

Newly Enlightened
I like it. It's very useful. What I think would be even better is if there was some optic that let it use all that power, but with a large spot-light style beam. In other words, not nearly as narrow as the E2L's, but not quite as wide as the current L4's. A middle of the road approach in other words.

I say that simply because I feel some of the light is wasted in areas that are out of your field of view. It would be nice if it was slightly more directional.

However, in general, it's very useful and will make for a nice complement to the E2L for other applications. The two ended up being a good pair as they're both good for specific applications.... depending upon my needs at the time, I have options now.

firefly99

Enlightened
TheEconomist said:
I had to drive 50 miles to the store which had it in stock.

I was originally going to order it from a CPF discount dealer, but I wanted to see it first. After the drive though, I decided to just go for it while I was there and spend the little extra (although I got a slight discount).....

You did the right thing by going to the store.
Buying an LED flashlight should be a hand-on experience. You simply had to see the beam and decide if you like it.
Online purchase of an LED flashlight, is the cause of lots of problems. It is usually too late to say you don't like beam after the flashlight arrives.

FAAbUlights

Newly Enlightened
TheEconomist said:
I like it. It's very useful. What I think would be even better is if there was some optic that let it use all that power, but with a large spot-light style beam. In other words, not nearly as narrow as the E2L's, but not quite as wide as the current L4's. A middle of the road approach in other words.
TheEconomist said:
I say that simply because I feel some of the light is wasted in areas that are out of your field of view. It would be nice if it was slightly more directional.]

Yea I know what you mean. It has super wide flood. Have you seen anything about the new L5? I'm thinking it will probably be just about what you are describing and i'm sure it will be more throwy than the E2L though there is no way for sure until they are on the market and we see some beamshots. Of course it will be a little bigger than your current lights so it may not be something your are interested in but I just thought you might want to check it out. There is a video of it here. I think it will be my next Surefire purchase.

Ringer

Newly Enlightened
Good to hear. I just ordered an L4 a couple days ago. Was back and forth between the L2 and L4. Since I already have several multi level lights and I wanted a bright floody light I ended with L4.

None to be had locally here either.

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
Keep buying L4s, and I keep getting rid of them. I love the beam, but they generate way too much heat for me.

I just traded the latest KL-4 head to Milky for some work in progress :naughty:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cribbage said:
Keep buying L4s, and I keep getting rid of them. I love the beam, but they generate way too much heat for me.

I just traded the latest KL-4 head to Milky for some work in progress :naughty:

EEEEEEEEH. Milky can do some work in a KL4 head? What'd he do? You've got me curious. When i spoke with him last regarding an L4 last time he said that the head was difficult to open. But that was a long time ago. Maybe he's figured out a way? Are you going to put an XRE in it?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
GeorgePaul said:
Have you found a comparable light that generates less heat?

My u60XRGT and P1DCE get hot just as fast. It's a good thing it heats up, that means the heatsinking is working well. Heck even the E2L will heat up pretty quick when used continuously

Last edited:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
GeorgePaul said:
Have you found a comparable light that generates less heat?

You could always PM milkyspit and have him modify the switch to a 2 stage switch. That way you can use low for everything but then blast the high when you need lots of light. That way you conserve power, longer runtime, plus the light wont get hot unless you leave it on high.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats to TheEconomist on your purchase. I for one has throwers ie L1 and KL1 and would like to get a floodier lite. The L4 or KL4 is a contender. Some of you guys mentioned that its run hot. Does it run hot like KL1 or hotter?

Are you running your L4 with rechargeables? Would it benefit from a couple of AW's high caps R123s running at 7.4volts?

Since you have a KL1 and KL4 heads you can actually make many combinations (Lego). You shuould also try to get a E1e or E1L or 3rd party offerings......

All the best

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
jumpstat said:
Are you running your L4 with rechargeables? Would it benefit from a couple of AW's high caps R123s running at 7.4volts?

I believe 2x r123's @ 7.4 volts would instantly fry the LED. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong. That's why we've been using 17670 cells. It's only 3.7 volts and when the regulator kicks in, it will boost the voltage.

Latest posts