My home made flashlight.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turbo charging a 5$ kmart flashlight.

Hi all,

I've been working on my home made flashlight that gives out a lot of spread. I was testing out a 100watt halogen car globe in a small everyready reflector (about 6cm in diameter) which to my surprise put out unbelievable spread & lite my 3/4 acre back yard up like day time. Only problem the globe gets too hot & within 20-30 secs it literally melts the plastic reflector. I need a small reflector for compact reasons that can withstand the 100watt globe, does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHats the diameter of the bulb and what size reflector were you using before because mcGizmo has a few small metal reflectors and there are mag reflectors in metal, all depends on what your going for.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diameter of bulb is almost 2cm & about 3.5cm long. I was using a reflector off a 1mill CP spoty, but then I tried the eveready reflector beacsue its far smaller & seems to pump out just as much if not more light.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You did not mention Your power source :s:

I would say You are a person to check treads named "hotwire" or "Mag modding"

benighted

Enlightened
You could probably make a 8 or 9 (or 10?) cell NiMH pack out of C or D cells.
If you discharge a your SLA more than 50% it will damage it unless it is a deep cycle

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
watts=amps times volts to your 100 watt bulb is trying to suck about 8.3 Amps out of a 7 Amp hour battery. Very short bursts might work but it's still probably hard on the battery. Sounds like something I would try though :D

mdocod

Flashaholic
it's an SLA! these things are cheap and can take abuse better than any other battery chemistry(NICD might be it's only competitor in the ability to deliver huge current at a low price)!... 8 amps is no problem for a 7AH SLA.... it won't have 7AH capacity at that drain rate.. A standard 15MCP thor uses that same size SLA and draws over 10 amps on high beam... nearly 20 amps with both high and low on... and my thor with the added light fixtures on the outside comes close to 30 amp discharge off that same battery... it only lasts a few minutes like this... but it always charges back up and works perfectly over and over again.

if you are looking for a budget way to get a reflector... here's an easy way to get a 12V 75W bulb, a reflector, and a lens.. all for just $1.85+shipping...
http://www.1000bulbs.com/products.php?cat=Front-Glass,-12-Volt-75MR16,-Halogen-Light-Bulbs
you can even choose spot or medium flood.

mdocod

Flashaholic
sounds about right... maybe that battery has seen better days... they usually will run a 100W bulb for about 25 minutes when new...

Latest posts