U2 turned true work light.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have beem wanting to get into my U2's bezel to clean it a bit, and during the process (unsuccessful) I have given my U2 a few battle scares, these have stripped it of it's perfect beauty, and have rendered it a true work light that will take some abuse albiet I will still treat it as best I can but the scratch here or there will no longer bug me. A sad and happy story. Care to share yours?

NAW

Enlightened
My U2 (which I have no more) once took a fall to the concrete. It was a very short fall but it fell on its bezel and looked like it got shot. I was surprised how much damage was caused.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cracked the lense on my E1E bezel last night trying to take it apart to mod it. While the lense part sucks...the mod was a success and now an extra LED replacement bezel is added to the collection! I really like the look and small size of the bezel but don't care for bulbs burning out. SO....I took apart a dorcy 1Watt single 123 cell light, ground down the edges of the star, soldered wires from the star to the converter board and dropped it in. I did have to machine down the inside of the bezel and open up the hole for the emitter to fit. All in all I actually see using this quite a bit considering how floody it is(slight donut). And with the extra optic I had laying around It can also have good throw. Now to find a replacement lense.....Any ideas?
Some scars....but a smile on my face in the end!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Aluminium is a soft metal. Concrete is hard (and usually quite rough/angular in texture).
Your flashlight will gain 'character' through use and I person find such 'character' to be an important part of owning a product (flashlight, cellphone, pocketknife etc)

Al

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said Size15 I personally like to use what I own and battle scares allow you to use your posessions more liberally (mentally anyways).

pactchncn

Newly Enlightened
Every single light (and tool) that I own has been used, bruised, and abused. A tool is of no value to me when it is sitting on a shelf at home. I do like to baby my tools until they are worn in though. :twothumbs

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often let the children play with my lights. For some reason, they seem drawn to them like moths. Our family was out visiting, and there were probably about 10 kids down in the basement. They were running around, playing and shouting and having a good time. One of them said something about a flashlight, and I had no choice but to offer up the U2.

"That's not normal", said four year old Stephen when he first turned it on. I couldn't have been more proud of myself for being so well equipped. :D

Anyway, after several hours of being with the kids, my U2 came back with a few minor marks. I can't really complain, since I willingly loaned it out. I can't place blame, since it could have been any one of ten kids who had dropped it. I'm perfectly content with the new character marks, and when I see them it reminds me the children had some good fun.

waspish

Newly Enlightened
Is there a U2 Cree equivalent flashlight out there

I have just ordered a second U2

And now I see the new Cree Chip coming out which

Could trounce all over the U2

To me a Surefire U2 with the Cree chip would be the

Ultimate flashlight

The six setting and the way you twist a dial

To select is perfect.

Some other makes make you turn the light

On and off which is just Hassle

Does anyone know if there is a way to?

Upgrade the head on the U2 to a Cree chip.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire consider that the Cree XR-E beam from the U2/KL5 reflector is too tight and have not decided how to proceed 'upgrading' the models featuring large, deep reflectors and LuxeonV LEDs.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like a nice quality flashlight that you can tell has been USED. Thats what they are meant for, and that what I do with them. Accidents happen, thats why we pay big bucks for Surefire quality....:)

TorchMan

Enlightened
My U2 went to work with me right after I bought it. The various levels (yeah, I actually used more than high and low) allowed the perfect amount of light for the job, as I used it in varied ambient lighting conditions. The wider beam of the Lux V was better suited for the close up nature of the work.

It's been dropped on indoor floors, but not from more than lap height while sitting on the floor. Some were concrete, and it does have some scarring along the bezel ring.

It's actually dinged me better than I dinged it. I came home in the rain one day, and my cat was on the porch. He's a leg cat, in that he walks right under foot, and bumps and rubs on the shins. I was going up the stairs and he got under foot. Reacted so as not to step on him. Not being able to get the foot fully on the stair, I began falling backward. Not wanting to slam my useless head on the sidewalk, I turned sideways and fell on to the right hip (also used the right hand to try and break the fall). Hard. U2 was in a Ripoffs holster, and the first thing I did was pull out the light and see if it works. Then I holstered it and checked myself for damage. This was all while laying in a rain.

It left a U2 shaped bruise on my right hip. The bruise was blacker than the HA on the light by the next day, though it quite hurting soon after, it stayed a long while. Makes me wonder if any flashaholic ever had a life size tattoo of their favorite light done? Mine was unintentional!

I continued to carry it everyday for a quite a while, but the lonely Gladius convinced me to holster it instead, and I've now carried it longer than the U2 was carried, though I don't have the same work needs. The U2 does house duty now.

Last edited:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I banged my U2 bezel on a rock while camping in the desert 3 days after I got it. It was a massive relief to not have to coddle it anymore.

That very light, incidentally, is on it's way to milkyspit right now. :naughty: