Replacement for KL1 head for my VGFB1 body

BladeDogg

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a higher output replacement for my KL1 head. I love the combination now and would like to carry this EDC (meaning the head will have to stay about the same size as it is now).

I am looking at either a modded head (mod my original KL1) or another head.

I am a total newbie to this modded light stuff so any help would be appreciated.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You already know about the modded KL1 head.

Here's another option that's probably not often, if ever, thought of...

Streamlight Scorpion LED head (assuming you want to stay LED, otherwise, the xenon head fits too). There's a few caveats to make this work...

1. You must use a 3.6/3.7V R123A.
2. A small ring of wire needs to be placed at the base ridge of the LED module to help the FB1 body make negative contact.
3. A small magnet or spacer (only about 1mm-1.5mm thick) at the bottom of the battery to help lift the battery up a tad for positive contact.

The stock Scorpion LED isn't uber bright...about 35-40 lumens. I changed the LED to a LuxIII TWOH and it's about 55-60 lumens now (rivals my Huntlight FT-01 LuxIII, maybe even a bit brighter). I'm waiting for my SSC P4 U-bin that I plan to drop in to really make it shine. Current is reasonable (about 650-700mA) so runtime is quite good. The head comes apart in 2pcs allowing the LED module (sealed) to come out. All you have to do is cut the plastic cross above the LED to access the leads and happy soldering. Not that hard and throws like crazy!

You can see a pic of it in my sig - "Vital Stream Scorpion-FB1".

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
270winchester said:
if you are willing to use R123s why not get a KL4? it's smaller than the KL1, 100+ lumens and is a direct replacement with no modification needed
What emitter does the KL4 use and at what current ?

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL4 uses LuxV emitter, not sure on the draw. It will run for about 25-35 minutes in regulation on one protected RCR123.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I dislike the KL4, but with newer "3w" emitters, you can get the same LuxV power, maybe even more with more, at least double the runtime on an RCR123. Less chances of getting a bad-binned Pee-green LuxV emitter or "Donut-beam". . . .

Latest posts