Streamlight TopSpot 2 quick review

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good or a bad light depends upon who is using it.

I have a friend who rebuilds "totaled" mercedies and sometimes other cars. He has several acres where he works and keeps his salvaged cars. (Can't really call it a junk yard, although that is what it looks like, because when he is finished rebuilding a car, it is incredible!)

Anyway, we were talking about lights, and he wanted a light that he could cary with him, but mount on his head should he need his hands.

I showed him all the head mounted lights on www.brightguy.com, and he choose the Streamlight TopSpot 2. So I ordered it for him (some people are still afraid of ordering things on-line!)

If you are not familar with this light, it looks like a traditional hand held light, but the handle pivots apart and conceals a headband, and will slip over one's head.

I was kind of interested in seeing this light too. The only Streamlights that I have seen are the scorpion and various Stinger lights that LEO friends carry. Say what you want regarding Streamlight vs SureFire, but Streamlights have a very loyal and wide following among LEO's.

Before going into detail about the light, here is the "executive summary".

I thought it was just an ok, averagely built light, nothing great, nothing that I would expect from Streamlight. It DID, however, fit very comfortably and easily on my head.

HE however LOVED the light! After using it, he told me how bright the light was, he enjoyed how physically light it was, and the convienence of being able to put it on his head when needed but still be able to cary it in his hands for most of the time. He liked how the headlamp angle adjusted perfectly, and how long a distance the beam threw.

My first impression of the light was that it did not have that precision quality craftmanship to it. There was nothing wrong with the light, everything pivoted and worked the way it should, but it did not have that precision "nasa" feel to it. Other Streamlights that I have seen, such as the SL-20X and the Ultrastinger and the Scorpion ARE built like a RocketShip. Very sturdy, precision instruments.

The beam was about as oposite of a Surge or a Brinkmann Legend LX or an LED light as one could get. Picture scribbling random circular swirls on a white wall with a crayon for about 5 seconds and you will get an idea of what the beam looked like. I put some clear Contact paper over the lense, and that smoothed things out considerably. He liked that idea also, as it will protect the lense from scratches, and can be re-coated as needed. There was an adjustable focus (that seemed to be too loose) that did help things a bit, but still, lots of shadows and lines. As loose as the focus seemed, however, it stayed in place.

By mistake, I removed the screw cap for replacing the bulb thinking that it was the battery compartment. It took me a good 20-30 minutes to get the bulb and screw cap back in place.

So, in summary, while I think the concept of this light is very good, I did not like this light at all.

He, however, really like the light! I just ran into him again this morning, and he told me the more he uses this light, the more he likes it. AND he also has a new Surge and LX so he knows what a "good" beam of light looks like.

So, what's the saying, "One man's meat is another man's Poision!"

Or as Cicloll and Ebert say, "One Thumbs up, One Thumbs Down!"

Now I just purchased the Princton Tec Aurora, and I am going to let him borrow this light to see how he likes it. I think the P/T Aurora is one great head lamp, but I am betting he doesn't like it! I will post what he thinks later.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Last year ,Walmart had a clearance sale on Topspot 2 Krypton bulbs for 5 cents each.Even though I dont have the light,I bought 20 of them(hey it was only a dollar).
Your friend can have some of them if he wants 'em.
troy

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

I do things like that too.

I think that a very funny scene in a movie would be to have some "computer type" person in an electronics shop (one of the "Lone Gunmen" on the X-Files would be a perfect cast) find a bin on non descript small computer parts. He grabs the entire bin, and puts it in his cart or carries it to the checkout counter.

When his friends or by-standers stare in amazement, he says something like "A couple of weeks ago, I needed one of these litte do-hickies at 3:00 in the morning, and couldn't find any! Well THAT won't happen again!"

What do you want me to do? Send you a couple of bucks for mailing?

E-mail me and we will work out the details!

Thanks,

Bruce

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a kid in the 50's I was fascinated by a Disney film that explained nuclear fission. They filled the floor of a room with mousetraps and placed 2 ping-pong balls so they'd be thrown when the trap sprung. I was fascinated when they set off the chain reaction by tossing one ping-pong ball into the middle.

Well, when my local Woolworth's had a mouse trap sale at "two for a nickle" I bought 80 of them for the princely sum of $2.00.

My younger brother liked to run and jump on his bed, so I set all 80 mouse traps on his bed and carefully covered them with his very thin summer beadspread. I patiently hung around our shared bedroom for five hours just to be there when he made his next running jump onto the bed. It was worth it because he was absolutely dumbfounded for about 30 seconds before he lifted the bedspread to discover what had happened.

I could never again figure out a useful thing to do with more than a couple of mousetraps used for their intended purpose.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Hey, BuddTX. Do you think a versalux utility module (the 10 led one) would fit inside the head of this light?
I've been considering getting this light, but didn't know the size of the head/if the versalux would fit.

Thanks.
roger