Gift for Brother-in-Law "Elevator Serviceman"

erckgillis

Newly Enlightened
Ok, lurking for awhile. I've built a few mods and some small bulb & sandwich work. Worked with LED's Cree, P4 and Luxon etc.

Looking for recommendations, features and suggestions. A M*g Mod or Off the shelf. Custom work etc.

Brother-in-law has job installing and service on elevators.
VERY Dark shafts, Tall dark and hot work. Gulf coast area and hurricane damaged buildings and factories. Some are large freight others 20+ story tall fast passanger cars.

Obvious needs...
Good throw & wide Flood
Virtually 'indestructable'
Free standing?
Reliable
Portable
Easy to find in dark (GID paste, Tritium cell, LED status etc.)

Pro's & Cons:
Size & portability
Hands free & free standing
throw vs. spill
Battery life?
No overheating problems...

Your suggestions or ideas welcome!

Build vs. Buy?

Thanks

paulr

Flashaholic
Go for handsfree, most people don't realize how useful it is until they have one for a while, and part of a good gift is that it's something the recipient wouldn't have gotten for themselves but appreciates once they have it. Princeton Tec Apex is a good bet: reasonably bright, adjustable beam, LED "find me" light stays on 24 hours after you shut the light off, maybe model with SSC P4 led for even more lumens.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello erckgillis and welcome to CPF:)

With your requests, I would go with a custom light. I own "a few" stock and customs and the ones I like the most are the customs.:)

I.e. a multiple high-power-Led light, regulated, diff. brightness levels, powered by LiIon-cells with charger and 12V adaptor for independance and looong runtimes.
Working in coldness and heat and the brightest Led-lights you can get with very good spill and good throw.

All depends on your budget.

Best regards

____
Tom

mdocod

Flashaholic
I second (and 3rd) the headlamp recommendation. When working with your hands, there is a MAJOR difference in convenience between holding a light, and having it on your head.

The apex is a good one...

my 2 coppers: I just got a Streamlight Argo HP. It's got a beam pattern with both throw and flood (flood in the form of a wide corona around the hotspot).. It's not the most "clean" beam around, but in use it is very practical. It's one of the FEW nicely regulated lights in it's price range (around $30 online). Runs for a solid 5 hours on high, and 20 hours on low. Only downside is that it takes CR123s. (2)... however.. You could also buy him a protected 17670 cell and a charger. Works just as well on 1 17670 as it does on a pair of primaries, and he could throw the cell on the charger at night. Total cost would be ~$50-60 depending on what charger and where you order the light.
It's a decent setup, but it isn't scorching bright. A P4 swap would give a lot more light, but the beam would not be as floody once focused properly.

erckgillis

Newly Enlightened
Kewl,

Never considered a headlamp due to fragile nature. One bump or drop then ...poof...All I've seen are plastic and , obviously, lightweight.

Saw a mini-tripod? light "Stanley" but was unsure if Mods were practical. Also was somewhat lightweight and not very custom nor "gift-like". Let's think 'special' here. But practical...headlamps not so much. Am I right?

Open the box and ..oh a headlamp. gee thanks. But it on and other guys say DORK!

...naw

course any light can be held by a buddy...

FH-Blk02+MiniTripod.jpg

My budget here is $150-250+...sooo...Wiseled were cool but pricy. I'll research all suggestions above

What would YOU like as a practical gift. Custom finish? Splash anodizing, blinding white. What would make every other guy jealous whenever he whips out that big boy? Work is all about having the best toys right?

Thx!

Erck

Last edited:

firefly99

Enlightened
Hey, that interesting. I have a brother - in - law working on elevators too.

I would recommend Inova 24x7 with all the accessory kit.
First it can use as a headlamp, with the headlamp strap. Or you can make use of the magnetic mount that is part of the accessory kit. Or as a chest level light.

2 choice would be a Surefire G2 with KL3. Instead of attaching a tritum vial, I would attached a Glo-Toob FX to the G2.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some companies require plastic bodied lights. Good plastic lights and headlights are as good or better resisting drop damage than metal. There's nothing cheap and weak about Princeton Tec's Apex or Yukon headlights and other brands also have durable models.

Unfairly, headlights are automatically rejected without trying them first but I also recommend and often use them.

I believe Otis Elevator issues Pelican Stealth flashlights but I would choose a PT Surge for its greater output.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
"throw" and "powerful light" in a mostly "working/fixing at arms length" environment?
Which is, as a minus, VERY dirty, greasy, ...
none of our beloved lights are useful here.

Get him a Lamp that is dive rated (for ease of cleaning) and made from impact resistant plastic, with a bright color body, ...

headlamp will also be my 1st choice, one with a pushbutton on/off,
else some very small 2 AA / 3 AAA side-by-side light like the ones from UK...

bpond

Newly Enlightened
erckgillis,

Welcome to CPF. If I may be so bold as to recommend what I think is the perfect light for this application. This was originally designed for professional auto technicians so a lot of the same requirements apply. Designed for durability, and hands free operations with rare earth magnets on the side and bottom as well as a hanging hook. A flexible neck allows 360 degree movement. Here is the link http://www.centraled.net/worklight.html when ordering, enter code CPF1 for a significant discount. Listed price is $199.95 but the code will get you to $129.95 plus flat $5.95 shipping in CONUS. Here is a link to a review on a site well respected here at CPF http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/centraled_100led.htm

Other cpf members own one and love it.

If you have any question then feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Thanks,
Bob

ET3

Newly Enlightened
I'm an industrial electrician and just got an L2Dce. I use the lowest setting the most, turbo mode never , wish it had more flood, and always need a third hang to hold my meter, probes, light. I'm considering getting a headlamp.

erckgillis

Newly Enlightened
OK..way cool.

See I love CPF as I would have never gone this route myself.

OK, I gotta look into headlamps or convertables. The snake lights and magnet mounts look REALLY useful. Yes I believe as a nice clean room EE type with sterile equipment and SMD tools that the grease, oil and hydraulic fluid I see on him is also all over the tools and equipment.

Yes HIP (High Impact Plastic) will not dink or dent like a Alum or SS shell would.

Hum... now I gotta rethink!

I guess a "kit" or 'set' would suffice as a "gift"...don't want to be a dope here.
He's just come off a bypass, back at work lost 150# and is doing great!

No dinky lights allowed in LA! (Lower Alabama)

:lolsign:

Last edited:

Mikeg23

Enlightened
As a Mechanic I'll tell what my personal preference is, but you probably need to get some info from you brother in-law to better suite him.

I keep a rechargeable incandescent on my belt with a long runtime LED in my pocket.

In my tool box I keep a very bright incandescent, a spare battery for my rechargeable incandescent, another LED light, and a headlamp.

For me these lights are
Surefire 6P with AW Li-ion
HDS EDC

Mag 2C with 3CR123
Mini-Mag LED
Dorcy head lamp 1watt

The only two of these that I use on a regular basis are the 6P and the Dorcy head lamp. I carry the HDS in case my 6P battery dies when I am in a dark hole. The Mini-Mag is in my box simply because it uses AA batteries and I don't really know why I keep the 2C in there mostly to show it off I guess.

I hate head lamps but sometimes they are invaluable. I like the Dorcy one watt head lamp because it is simple on off you don't have to cycle through fifteen different modes every time you click the damn button. I had a Dorcy head lamp with a bunch of 5mm LEDS with like four modes and the thing about drove me crazy.

Last edited:

erckgillis

Newly Enlightened
yes, I fly fish and the headlamps with a dozen modes are infinately adjustable and totally irratating. As a guy with YOPD (Young Onset Parkinsons Disease) myself like Michael J. Fox really appreciate big simple buttons!

My arms are now getting too short for my eyes to work? Or everything seems to get smaller...

As a EE I remember all these discreet components were big chips, thru hole or huge DIP's. Now everything's SMD and smaller than the solder and tips...eeek!

Some of the custom metal work and lathe jobs on CPF look more my speed now as the Sandwiches and solder work will slowly become to "shaky" to perform.

Better to move up too 'bigger' projects. And BIGGER buttons with Simple setting are best for most of us!

p.s. I'm still shopping... I don't really want to give a $59 plastic light, however practical

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
erckgillis said:
I don't really want to give a $59 plastic light, however practical

If youre talking about headlamps, how about this one then? :grin2:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/stenlight_s7.htm

Yes, headlamps are dorky, but oh so unbelievably handy when you're working with your hands. If I we're your stepbrother I would had prefered a light headlamp that was easy to put on. But I agree, not that much fun to give as a gift.