LiPo cell, soldering problem

Jopi

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I recently was sucked into this world of DIY lights, and have now some lights assembled.

I was able to get hold on some powerful LiPo cells which I´m planning to use as power source. However, I´m having big difficulties in assembling battery packs. Positive tabs in LiPo cells seem to be aluminium, and normal solder doesn´t seem to "attach" to aluminium very well.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Should I use some some kind of connectors to attach the battery tabs instead of soldering?

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. :wave:

I have no personal experience, but I did happen to see some zinc solder from cheapbatterypacks.com that is specifically what you're looking for. It's at the bottom of the page.

-DF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not recommend soldering your own Lithium packs without some experience, they are very dangerous and volatile, there are precautions you have to take, I would recommend finding a cheap source to make you a pack, like a CPFer.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
65535 said:
I would not recommend soldering your own Lithium packs without some experience, they are very dangerous and volatile, there are precautions you have to take, I would recommend finding a cheap source to make you a pack, like a CPFer.

Words of Wisdom.

roadie

Enlightened
oh, sorrie i jus happened to see something i had to comment from that pic ....

the thing is u are using 'hot' glue to 'cover' the area .... it is not recommended as i used to do that also ..... but only at areas not heat directly connected at ....

u shld try Expoy instead as its more heat resistant than hot glue which will melt ... which i do now after many error tries :)

i am using Devcon Plastic Steel Epoxy (black color) when i need to 'cover' any electric area where stated can withstand a 125 degree celius heat .... ???? or similars .... where u can find via yr local hardware stores

Oh and heat is the reason where the life of a secondary battery is shortner .... the others are over charging and over current .... WHICH is why do not cover yr LIPOs completely, ventilation is good, when using or charging .... :)

happy modding :)

Latest posts