PEAK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with my L2D CE...Problem Fixed!!

Default Help with my L2D CE...Problem Fixed!!

I don't know whether this is a problem, or maybe i'm just blind
    I can't at all tell the difference between high and Turbo on my L2DCE. I've tried it with a few people, no one can tell a difference. I'm using fully charged Sanyo 2500's, and have also tried with Alkaline.

I did this test.

Went into General mode set the torch the high. I Aim the Light at something and hold it perfectly still. Then i rotate the bezel into tactical mode, there is absolutley no difference. Should there be a slight flicker as i change between general and turbo modes? I have very good eyesight, and i can't tell any difference at all. Dad, my girl, mum the dog can't tell any difference. I think it's bust.

I realise changes in output from the torch become harder and harder to see as you go up in brightness. But i should be able to discerne between 80 vs 135 lumens shouldn't i?
    Last edited by lukestephens777; 02-26-2007 at 12:01 AM.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Help with my L2D CE

The difference between high and turbo mode is pretty noticeable on my L2D-CE with NiMHs. Maybe yours is indeed cactus?
    Torches removed from sig to help keep searches relevant.

I see only slight difference between high and turbo. On my L1D-CE, I cannot tell the difference at all...
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Enlightened

I cant see a massive difference between high and Turbo indoors on non-white walls,
    however outside is a different matter, shining it down the garden and switching between the 2, is significant.....too my eyes !!
    trick of the light ????
    My God its full of Stars..

I don't have L2D CE but you may try this way to see which mode is brighter.

In a dark room point your light toward the roof and the whole room will be lighten. In that case you may easily find out which one is brighter.

Hope that's useful.
    I love titanium, everything about titanium, except the price

Just checked it again still no difference.

Might try to email David and see what he can sort out.

Thanks again

The difference between the high and turbo mode is very noticeable on my L2D-CE with NiMHs and even Alkalines.

Enlightened

Hi, I too see little difference between High and Turbo on the L2D-CE, but turbo is defiantly ‘slightly’ brighter. When I went for a walk last night it had increased throw.

I just compared it to my P1D-CE (Both on fresh batts (P1D on energiser Lith, and L2D on Duracell ultra M3’s) and I think that both are the same. (Very unscientific but that’s all I can do)

So I’m stumped, is it possible that the High (not Turbo) is extra high, closer to the Turbo mode on our models?
    And if so Why?

Sorry to ask more question…

i can easily see a difference between high and turbo mode even using cheapo non brand alkalines

Quick comment here - the human eye senses light intensity logarithmically.
    What this means is it typically requires 3-4x more light for your eyes think it's 2x the brightness.
    To your eyes, 25 lumens and 100 lumens appear 2x the difference. 35 lumens and
    140 lumens appear to be 2x.

I've had many complaints and returned P1D CE's that claimed there was no difference
    between the medium and high modes (72 and 135 lumens). Well, we tested each and
    every one of these with a meter and verified that medium and high were indeed
    about 2x difference in intensity.

Bottom line, you need a light meter to "objectively" test the output. You can't
    reply on your eyes. However, we would be happy to take back the light to
    check if there is a problem with your light. After all, if there is any shadow of
    doubt about your purchase that could cause dissatisfaction, we want to
    rectify it to your satisfaction. Feel free to contact us through our store.

The difference between high and turbo on my L2D is not huge, but noticeable enough to be acceptable i feel, taking into account the previous explanations.
    My 4 year old daughter loves torches. I'm a GREAT dad!

Flashaholic*

If it could be switched back to high and thus make several high - turbo - high - ... changes, one might be able to think to see something.

Just measure current draw from battery. More Ampere should equal to more light

lukestephens777,

if you have a digital camera with manual mode take photos with stepped
    down exposure from the beam at "high" and "turbo" and compare them side
    by side on your monitor.
    If there is a difference you will be able to see it.

Tom

It's just an optical illusion...

I have never been able to tell the difference between "normal"(65%) and "max" (100%)on my JEtbeam MKII as far as brightness goes, I can see some of the PWM flicker in normal, but as far as brightness goes, I can't distinguish between the two, even though I know there is a difference. I assume the same can be said for the Fenix. I am anxiously awaiting al l2dce now. I have not bought a light in months.

I think that after a certain intensity, it gets harder to tell how bright a light is.

Quote Originally Posted by yekim
    I have never been able to tell the difference between "normal"(65%) and "max" (100%)on my JEtbeam MKII as far as brightness goes, I can see some of the PWM flicker in normal, but as far as brightness goes, I can't distinguish between the two, even though I know there is a difference. I assume the same can be said for the Fenix. I am anxiously awaiting al l2dce now. I have not bought a light in months.

I think that after a certain intensity, it gets harder to tell how bright a light is.
    I think you will see a difference between high and turbo with the L2D. I run mine on NiMh batteries and the difference is more obvious when shining at a distant object and then twisting the head to activate turbo. Shining it at a wall from a few feet makes the difference a lot less noticeable, to my eyes anyway.
    My 4 year old daughter loves torches. I'm a GREAT dad!

Flashaholic

Luke, have you tried it with different batteries?

I fed my L2D with Energizer L91's the first time and I was pleased with the output difference while in turbo. Then I decided to fed it some Energizer 2500 mah's I have had laying around for maybe a month...I saw no difference between high and turbo using those cells. I don't know how much voltage they have left as I haven't gotten around to metering them, but I'm quite certain that they are probably almost drained. Also I think you had asked if it flickers or something, I have noticed that from turbo to low the light actually fades or slowl y dims. My L2T is more of a flicker.
    "You can walk in the darkness without a light, but you can travel so much faster and surer with a good flashlight."

Your eyes are probably being overloaded anyway Either way these things are bright!

The high\turbo difference on my L1 is not huge, but it *is* noticable. And that is only meant to be a difference of 10 Lumens or so.

I'm very impressed with the output on a single Energizer 2500mAh NiMH.
    With a 14500@3.8V there is certainly a difference in output, but for me it is definitely not worth the loss of modes. Perhaps if I were to be using it explicitly for defence the LIR would be the better idea, but generally speaking the single NiMH is fine
    Very happy with it.
    ~ Current EDC ~ Fenix E0 (belt loop) L1D-CE (holster) Modded LR12W w\Seoul (coin pocket)
    Assorted Fauxtons (keyring, zipper pulls)
    Swisstech UtiliKey (keyring) ~

Just emailed David, am swapping heads. Almost positive mines busted.

Thanks again David for your great customer service.

Flashaholic*

I'll take them as Seconds!!! :-)

My CR123 L1D has a large diff between turbo and high

Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens
    Quick comment here - the human eye senses light intensity logarithmically.
    What this means is it typically requires 3-4x more light for your eyes think it's 2x the brightness.
    To your eyes, 25 lumens and 100 lumens appear 2x the difference. 35 lumens and
    140 lumens appear to be 2x.

I've had many complaints and returned P1D CE's that claimed there was no difference
    between the medium and high modes (72 and 135 lumens). Well, we tested each and
    every one of these with a meter and verified that medium and high were indeed
    about 2x difference in intensity.

Bottom line, you need a light meter to "objectively" test the output. You can't
    reply on your eyes. However, we would be happy to take back the light to
    check if there is a problem with your light. After all, if there is any shadow of
    doubt about your purchase that could cause dissatisfaction, we want to
    rectify it to your satisfaction. Feel free to contact us through our store.

Unenlightened

I can clearly tell the difference between high and turbo with my L1D, so I'm surprised that the difference isn't clear with the L2D.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by SKYWLKR
    I'll take them as Seconds!!! :-)

My CR123 L1D has a large diff between turbo and high
    That's weird, isn't the L1D supposed to jump the lvls when overdriven and have the same brightness for all?

EDIT:Sorry, thought you were talking about 14500, but you have modded it yourself to CR123. Nice!

Wow, you can see the difference? I can see no diffence between turbo and high at any time. I'm using eneloop and other nimh. Maybe I need to check with alkalines or something...

I'm on L1D, and the extra 10 lumens are likely un-detectable.

Man I thought you guys that couldn't tell a difference were really stupid. I mean just flat out dumb (no offense intended in any way). But, as my alkys have drained down I am POSITIVE that there is no difference between high and turbo (at least visually). I have asked many others to confirm this and they agree. furthermore, when I put in fresh alkys the noticeable difference returns. I don't think mine are busted; I think the cree is just hungry

Take risks because if you don't you'll never know...
    Arc AAA-P(at least the old P), Wolf Eyes 6a, MAG 6D, Jet Beam C-LE, Wolf Eyes D2AX , 2D M@glite ROP. Everything else is crap or at least now it is...

Originally posted by No. 10:
    I can clearly tell the difference between high and turbo with my L1D, so I'm surprised that the difference isn't clear with the L2D.
    I just received my L2D-CE and there absolutely is a clear difference between high and turbo--when the batteries are fresh. What I've found is that as you use the battery, the battery is no longer able to put out the current to be in turbo mode. So, as I've done a run time test on medium, I've found that after 4 1/2 hrs and perhaps less time, there is no difference between high and turbo. So, perhaps your battery isn't fully charged and can't put out the current to shift into turbo mode.
    Last edited by HarveyRich; 02-17-2007 at 09:19 PM.

i see no difference in my L1D. but i don't care, i love this light. maybe the L2D is in my future.
    "Never underestimate the love of a man for his dog"

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterBug
    i see no difference in my L1D. but i don't care, i love this light. maybe the L2D is in my future.
    Thats quite normal, there will be little or no difference with the L1D,
    I have noticed the same, however I did a test to confirm this,
    I swapped the head of the L1D with the L2D body and the L2D head with
    the L1D body. The L1D showed a huge difference between high and Turbo and the L2D showed little difference.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by TORCH_BOY
    Thats quite normal, there will be little or no difference with the L1D,
    I have noticed the same, however I did a test to confirm this,
    I swapped the head of the L1D with the L2D body and the L2D head with
    the L1D body. The L1D showed a huge difference between high and Turbo and the L2D showed little difference.
    Ok, I'm slightly drunk now, but aren't the L1D head and the L2D head exactly the same?

Flashaholic

I gotta think it's the light. I would say, "or you really have bad eyes", but you said others you've shown it too also can't tell the difference.

On my P1D CE, the difference between 80 lumens (first twist) and 135 lumens (second twist) is pretty noticeable. Can't imagine anyone not being able to tell the difference.

IMO, biggest difference between "High" and "Turbo" modes seems to be in the spill - definitely easier to see things around the periphery of the beam when the flashlight is in "Turbo" mode.

I've noticed this same effect on both my P1D-CE and L2D-CE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast