Upgrading my Maglite to LED

NightBandit

Newly Enlightened
I have a 6 cell Maglite (I know that it's ridiculously big, but I've had it around forever) and I wanted up upgrade it to an LED. The largest LED upgrade module that Maglite sells is for the 4 cell. Looking at the LED upgrades for the 2 cell and the 4 cell, they look identical. Could this be the same bulb, just in different packaging (I doubt it, but you never know)?

So my question is: Do you think that I could put the 4 cell upgrade into my 6 cell flashlight without causing too many problems?

Thank you,

NightBandit

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not the same. 4 cell drop in module will likely work well for the first few seconds until it warms up and starts overheating, turning angry blue and fizzling out. If you inserted just one dummy cell and ran the 4 cell module on 5 D cells, you're far less likely to do damage. Welcome to CPF by the way! Where you from?

Tidra

Enlightened
I would use 2 dummy cells and 4 cell module,…
or I have a question,…

Is there a way to mod the battery from 6x serial to 3 x serial and then connect them parallel of course it would be interesting only if we could use the same size batteries. If it is possible I would do that and use 3 cell module and double the burning time.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only downside besides possible short circuit (and flames) would be when it's time to change the batteries. It becomes a cumbersome and inconvenient task especially if you need to do it in the dark or in a hurry. The other option is to go with a resistor plus the module. A resistor could be added to the switch to work with the module to give extended runtime with 6 D cells. Not sure on the value but I'd guess something like 3 watt 10 ohm? (I know nothing about resistors)

Norm

Retired Administrator
It could be done, use a piece of double sided PC board between the 2 lots of 3 batteries and wire as shown in Tidra's post.
Norm

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another possibility with this large light is a custom build. 6xD sized LiIons, b-/n-Flex driver and a 3/4x Cree/SSC-P4 setup.:)

Best regards

____
Tom

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although it doesn't say it now, these 5 Watt LED bulbs used to be listed for use in 6 cell Mags or in 2 cell mags with 3xCR123 cells. I'm not sure why they dropped the 6 cell labeling. Six 1.5v D cells is 9 volts total and three 3.0v CR123 cells is also 9 volts total. Either way should work.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
DonShock said:
Although it doesn't say it now, these 5 Watt LED bulbs used to be listed for use in 6 cell Mags or in 2 cell mags with 3xCR123 cells. I'm not sure why they dropped the 6 cell labeling. Six 1.5v D cells is 9 volts total and three 3.0v CR123 cells is also 9 volts total. Either way should work.

I wouldn't recommend these drop ins. I know, when they appeared the first time on the market, they got heat problems and disappeard a while after.

I don't know, if they improved them but I can't imagine, that this little bulb replacement is be able to transfer the heat in the way it's necessary.

Best regards

____
Tom

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another possibility would be to use four F cells. Since these are the length of 1.5 D cells, four should fit just right in a Mag6D and you could use the 4 cell MagLED bulb.

NightBandit

Newly Enlightened
WOW!! You guys are fast. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions; it's good to know that I can get good reliable information fast.

After reading many many threads over the past week, I've come to the realization that I'll need an electrical engineering degree just in order to understand most of the information passing between members. Heck, I'll even need to take a few graduate courses just to understand the basics of rechargeable batteries.

All that being said, I'll be passing on the LED upgrade (for my 6 cell). Maybe someday in the future, I'll feel competent enough to tweak my flashlights enough to upgrade it to LED. Of course, my current flashlights are so basic, I'm sure that I'll be buying new high tech goodies (how can I not after reading this forum for long) before I try making difficult upgrades to my cheapies.

Thanks again,

NightBandit

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I observe that an AAA minimag is almost the same length as 2 D cells.
I assume that a bare aluminum one would conduct electricity.
With an appropriate spacer to keep it centered, it could be a 2D dummy cell
and you have a spare flashlight if the 6D fails.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i thought the 6k2 could be used without dummy batteries cuz of regulator

I'M DK

Newly Enlightened
DonShock said:
Although it doesn't say it now, these 5 Watt LED bulbs used to be listed for use in 6 cell Mags or in 2 cell mags with 3xCR123 cells.
Per your provided link.
Diamond LED bulb replacement adapters for Maglite® 5 Watt
  • Works with Maglite® 2x C or 2x D size flashlights
  • Uses a 3x CR123 Lithium battery adapter (batteries not included)
Yep, same same. 6D cell = 9volts vs. 3xCR123 = 9volts
Good to go.
Can't speak for heat management issues.

DJ Q said:
here's a drop-in led for the 6d mag....good price about $25, regulated, no dummy cells:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=142987
But for a third of the price and comparable performance this one looks like a no brainer.

DK

Last edited: