batteries dropped in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Liu

Banned
I am wondering if these batteries will work again, my friend dropped them in water as a prank. They were all full of new batteries. As soon as I saw this I took it out and placed them in a dry cool place for 3 weeks without touching them. They are now dry. I am afraid to use them.
Is it safe and will the batteries work if I use them in my surefire flashlights?

What should I do about my friend? He said "I can help you with your addiction" and he dropped them in water. I then immediately punched him.:xyxgun:

If these batteries will not work what can I do with them?

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Personally I'd be very careful and take it out of your room and store them somewhere else.

EDITED: INCORRECT INFORMATION, thanks MorePower

check them with a MM....since batteries are sealed from the outside, only water entry is the vent holes in the anode nipple, they should be okay, but... :shakeshead: I dont know.... first time hearing of Lithium cell hydro-testing:ohgeez:

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would say inspect them. If they are rusted or corroded then I wouldn't use them in anything important. If they appear untarnished I would randomly measure a sample of them to see if any lost charge or not.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on how long the Batteries were under water and also if it was salt or fresh water. I also would have punched him out, thats a lot of expensive cells

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, make him pay!

there is no friendship in money.

189USD isn't a small sum

or just go to his house and throw HIS stuff into the water.

Last edited:

Led_Blind

Enlightened
What a bumbass prank....

Anyways, a better option would have been to take them out of the wet packets then dry them individualy. As for them being dangerous, i dont think they will be but check for rust before using.

MorePower

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
Personally I'd be very careful and take it out of your room and store them somewhere else.

Lithium primaries + water does not :poof: , but may vent hydrogen gas...that mixed with the oxygen in your room can be a very very dangerous soup

check them with a MM....since batteries are sealed from the outside, only water entry is the vent holes in the anode nipple, they should be okay, but... :shakeshead: I dont know.... first time hearing of Lithium cell hydro-testing:ohgeez:

Lithium primary cells + water are no more likely to vent hydrogen gas than lithium primary cells sitting on a shelf.

Unless the vent panel in the plastic grommet was punctured, there's no way for water to get into the cell where the metallic lithium is located. If the vent panel had ruptured, the cell wouldn't work anyway (or not for long) because the liquid electrolyte used would have evaporated.

By all means, check voltages with a multimeter if you have one, and I'd take the cells out of the boxes to look for rust, but if this had happened to me, I wouldn't be worrying.

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
I don't like to get water near my lithium cells, I'm glad nothing bad happened. Definately check the cell voltages with a multimeter before using if you can.

But if they didn't blow up, then it doesn't sound like there could really be anything wrong with them.

Maybe this should be on Sure-Fire stories, "my moron 'friend' thought it would be funny to leave my batteries in my fish tank and none of them detonated".

I wonder how well 9 boxes of some other brands would have faired.

wmirag

Enlightened
Don't ever go shooting with a guy like that.

I'd jettison that "friend".

W.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take every last one of those cells and make a remote dead shortening device, that on que will short ever single cell simaltaniously, and put thise package in his house at night, then remotely detonate it. But first and no matter what you decide to do make him replace all 9 boxes.

Illum

Flashaholic
chesterqw said:
well, make him pay!

I wonder how....make him eat the cells?:ohgeez:

its incredible people would do something like this, obviously them have no idea at what expense and dangerous this stuff is...:thumbsdow:whistle:

65535 said:
Take every last one of those cells and make a remote dead shortening device, that on que will short ever single cell simaltaniously, and put thise package in his house at night, then remotely detonate it. But first and no matter what you decide to do make him replace all 9 boxes.

theres a safety device embeddled in these cells...if you inentionally short them all at once...some valves will open others may not...and those who dont are now ticking time bombs. :sweat:
btw: dont post anything that may sound illegal....[remember the ever watchful eye of the moderators above us]

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sound like a prelude to selling them on CPF to me, especially after earlier warning by moderator about something else.

Is this a test too ?

Beware...

I could be wrong.

but that's the impression I get.

Especially during these school holidays

Anyway, best advice.....

Chuck them, charge him, chuck him.

How much is a life worth ?

By "Chuck them" I mean of course, dispose of them properly, as hazardous waste.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
abvidledUK said:
Sound like a prelude to selling them on CPF to me, especially after earlier warning by moderator about something else.

Is this a test too ?

Beware...

:ohgeez:
well, Dustin Liu didnt say anything about selling them, let alone on the forum...and so far the thread hasnt gone to extent of BST...I think your worrying too much:huh:

Retinator

Enlightened
My god that's a lot of batts! Don't tell me you're one of these guys with 4 M6's that you're trying to feed lol

If the cells are ruined I'd say your friend owes you for them.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
Sound like a prelude to selling them on CPF to me

Illum_the_nation said:
:ohgeez:
well, Dustin Liu didnt say anything about selling them, let alone on the forum...and so far the thread hasnt gone to extent of BST...I think your worrying too much:huh:

"Prelude" is the operative word.

Wouldn't like to have these babies going through the postal service.

Then again, there seems amazingly little water damage to the cardboard boxes !!

Go on then, what type of water, where etc. It's a bit vague at the moment.

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Retinator said:
My god that's a lot of batts! Don't tell me you're one of these guys with 4 M6's that you're trying to feed lol

If the cells are ruined I'd say your friend owes you for them.

Ever thought of rechargeable RCR's ?

Brighter too, if your bulbs / leds will take them.

They might even fit in that illuminated Troll you have by your keyboard !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.