GLADIUS/INSIGHT TYPHOON SEOULED(P4) MODDING ***UPDATES & DISCUSSION ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened
GLADIUS/TYPHOON/MRBULK-CHAMELEON/LIONCUB MODDING ***UPDATES & DISCUSSION ***

GOT THE SEOUL P4 AND FIXED THE GLADIUS ,HAD SOME POSITIVE SLUG ISOLATING PROBLEMS ,BUT FOUND A EASY 100% SOLUTION. SUCCESS.I WILL POST PHOTOS WHEN I FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST THEM .BEAM SHOTS AND OF THE FINISHED GLADIUS.
WHAT IS THE EASYEST WAY TO POST PHOTOS.HELP

Last edited:

ewsforos

Newly Enlightened
Re: MY GLADIUS NIGHT OPS SEOULED(P4)

Check this post here for information on how to post pictures :)

Hope this helps.

Btw, good job on your mod. Gladius + Seoul P4 sounds like a very interesting combination :goodjob:

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened

THANX FOR THE HELP ,I'M WAITING FOR THE IMAGE SHACK TO SEND ME AN EMAIL RESPONCE SO I CAN START HOSTING THE PICTURES ,THIS WILL GIVE SOME TIME TO GET THE BEAM SHOTS .MIGHT BE A DAY OR TWO.
rolleye11.gif

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

m_50547.jpg

Can't read your post.

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened
***PICTURE POSTED***/Re: MY GLADIUS NIGHT OPS SEOULED(P4)

thanx for waiting ,click on the image and it will take you to the image shack so you can see the larger picture.more pictures posted through the thread.have a look.

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice GladiusX1... how did you pry out your luxeon? mine was affixed so tight that I had to destroy it. Did you heat it or something?

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened

Removel was reqiured but it came out fully intacted.no moding of the reflector is reqiured and the p4 is aligined perfect as you can see in the one photo that shows the p4 refection.added the other pic so you can see the differance.if there are any problems with this mod in the future i will post what is happening.click on image for larger view:popcorn:

Last edited:

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened

sorry LEDcandle I misunderstood what you asked .yes i did have to pry out the lux III,I desoldered the lux III and then pryed out using an exacto knife.all went well and i still have my lux III intact.

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast

ah ok, you took out the Luxeon LED but left the star there and fixed the SSC to the old lumileds star; ok.. thanks... can't do that for a Cree that's why I had to take out the entire star and put in a Cree Star... oh well.... SSC would be a better choice for a direct swap from original... but I guess now I can swap in a Cree Q3 bin fairly easily when it comes! :D (not tat the Q3 is any better than the SSC anyway)

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
Re: ***PICTURE POSTED***/Re: MY GLADIUS NIGHT OPS SEOULED(P4)

GLADIUSX1 said:
thanx for waiting ,click on the image and it will take you to the image shack so you can see the lager picture.the beam shots are of the gladius (brighter image) and the other one is a streamlight 4AA luxeon III.image is taken from 20 feet away .camera settings the same for both and the white balance corrected.any questions feel free to ask .the gladius is putting out about 180-200 lumes.with no more extra heat.

Are you sure about the 180-200 lumens ?
What about the low light level of the gladius, is it always low , like the original one ?
thank you

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened

The lumes rating is very close to the that range. just check the the photos .to get twice the preceived brightness you need up to four times the output so if you look at the beam shot you will see this differance as the streamlight puts out around 50 lumes (4AA model).this is what the gladius was putting out before the mod. also if you look at the spill light on both you can see all the extra light that the gladius also puts out in it's side spill ,as for the low level it is much improved.gone is the sharp edged small spot and replace with a soft spot that is much wider.

Last edited:

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened

Here are those pictures again.click on to see full size.the beam shots are of the gladius (brighter image) and the other one is a streamlight 4AA luxeon III.image is taken from 20 feet away .camera settings the same for both and the white balance corrected.any questions feel free to ask .the gladius is putting out about 180-200 lumes.with no more extra heat.:rock:

Last edited:

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened

impressive.
about the low level.
in fact i'm please to notice that the low level have a soft spot, but my question is.
in the original luxeon3, gladius low level is about 0.8 lumens, witch is very very low, and i thing useful for me.
I just like to know if the gladius seoul low level is always 0.8lumens or 8 lumens or so.....
in fact i'm afraid that , putting a more brighter led on the gladius may increase the minimum lumens output of the light.
thank you

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened

The low level is about one level up ,but because the beam is wider overall ,it looks very soft and as low as before ,but as i said is wider and 100% more usefull about 1.0 lume instead of 0.8 lumes.I will try to get a picture to show this some time today.:popcorn:

Last edited:

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened

Here are thoSe low setting pictures. the black and white picture is how it really looks,the colour one is one f stop overexposed to show more detail pictures taken at 30 inches distance.click on the pictures for larger size.

Last edited:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

One of my favorite features of the Gladius is how low and directional the beam is on low level.
While I like what you have done with the high end brightness of the light, the wider and brighter Low kills one of my favorite features of the light.

I hope, when and if Night-Ops revamps the Gladius, they keep low as low as before.
This is just my opinion.
You have done a nice mod :thumbsups:

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

GLADIUSX1

Enlightened

(One of my favorite features of the Gladius is how low and directional the beam is on low level.
While I like what you have done with the high end brightness of the light,
the wider and brighter Low kills one of my favorite features of the light.)

The statement is not all that correct. the low is only a fraction higher(1,0 lume instead of 0.8) and the beam is twice as wide over all,so the beam ends up having the same precieved brightness.this is very low and has better beam quality and is more usefull when reading maps and text,same level, wider beam more usefull.softer edges .
Here are two photos to show the beam at 10-12 inches away.the brighter one is over exposed 1 f stop the other is normal.click on for larger version

Last edited:

SmUk

Newly Enlightened

Hello !

I want also to "seoul" my gladius...

just some questions

how can i remove the head ?
just turn it round with all my power or is ther any special trick ?
and how to replace the LED ?
Just solder it out an place there the P4 ?

Is the strobe still working ?

what about the spot in "full mode"

is it still with that low angle ?

Thany you for yor help.
and sorry 4 my bad english ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.