I'm looking for the best computer speakers $200 (or less) can buy

lightwave1209

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking on Newegg and I am leaning toward the Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers (2.1 means 2 satellites and 1 subwoofer). I am also looking at the Harmon Kardon Sound sticks II.

Logitech Z-2300

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121122

Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836101057

I admit I am limiting myself to 2.1 systems for cost as well as my computer does not have a high-grade sound card (using onboard sound right now).

My PC is a AMD FX64 dual 4200 with 2 gigs of RAM, a 320 MB HD.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

spock

Enlightened
wife bought me a set of klipsch thx promedia 2.1 for christmas. they rock! bought at best buy for $120 on sale. reg $150. sound is different to each person, like food, but this is the best i have listened to. cambridge soundworks is another good brand.

Bob_G

Enlightened
I'll second the promedia 2.1. My old speakers crapped out last year and I researched pretty heavily and finally went with the Klipsch. At first I thought they were too base heavy, then discovered I had some settings in my card to enhance bass because the last ones were too shy. Set everything to normal and the Klipsch sounded much better than I expected for computer speakers. The sub is very sensitive and I have it well down from the default setting, but it blends pretty well with the sats and overall the system makes a rich yet fairly detailed sound.

nethiker

Enlightened
I have the HK Soundsticks II that I picked up from Costco a year or so ago. Seems like they were about the price you found at New Egg.

They sound great to my untrained ears. The Sub Woofer is strong and my computer easily fills a large room with impressive sound from this funky set of speakers. I like the design, fits well on my small computer table.

I would recommend them.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
Not sure that my vote counts as "computer speaker" but, I've got an older but excellent reciever that the sound card plugs into. As my monitor is a CRT, the speakers are magnetically shielded but the options are wide open for quality home oriented speakers - take a listen at several of your stores that sell home stereo. My choice is Polk Audio Monitor 40 that I got on sale from Circuit City for just a little more than $200! The only negative are that they are not small and proper toeing in is VITAL.

COMMANDR

Enlightened
I'll third the promedia 2.1. These speakers kick a@@ and are THX certified to boot. Klipsch speakers are of good quality and would recommend them for the money. I also upgraded my soundcard from SB Live to Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card and what a difference the new sound processor made. The new Klipsch speakers came alive with much richer detail and clarity. If you listen to alot of mp3's on your computer or do alot of gamming, this combo made a big difference in my listening pleasure.

Gary

DrJ

Enlightened
I also have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX and am very happy with it....

felder

Newly Enlightened
That's what I do too. I have an old mini stereo that is connected to the line out on my soundcard.

Theatre Booth Guy said:
Not sure that my vote counts as "computer speaker" but, I've got an older but excellent reciever that the sound card plugs into. As my monitor is a CRT, the speakers are magnetically shielded but the options are wide open for quality home oriented speakers - take a listen at several of your stores that sell home stereo. My choice is Polk Audio Monitor 40 that I got on sale from Circuit City for just a little more than $200! The only negative are that they are not small and proper toeing in is VITAL.

ExZeRoEx

Enlightened
When asking for advice about computer stuff I like to go to arstechnica forums. IMO though, you should get a decent sound card too.

cy

Flashaholic
logictech from Sams wholesale here... a whooping $59 for a really nice setup. Single bass speaker with five more channels.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m still out looking for a good laptop speaker and so far the best sounding I ve tried on the market is the Jamo I300 http://www.jamo.com/Default.aspx?ID=5915&M=Shop&PID=17154&ProductID=17629

It packs a better punchy bass than any other speakers I ve tried while window shopping. Definitely sounds better than the Bose companion.
I seen the Jamo I300 sells as low as $245.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to replace my old altec lansings. They were state of the art when they came out for the PC, but the sub doesn't play anything lower than 60hz, and it peaks at 120hz. hardly a sub. More like a mid-bass.

I also noticed prices are way down. Is there a good 2.1 setup out there for ~60 that does 30hz bass and the fronts have a mid & tweeter?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Find some advent powered partners model av570. They are over $200 new, but watch ebay and you can get lucky for less than $200.

Hands down the last speakers you will ever buy.

I have 3 sets.

Or, waste your $ on anything else.

They are _that_ good. Imagine if HDS made speakers...