Dell Inspiron 7000 battery: 18650's inside *pics*

KnOeFz

Enlightened
I got my hands on a dead Dell Inspiron laptop. But the battery still functioned properly. So I was hoping to retreive some nice Li-Ions from it. I took some pics of my disassembly for you guys to enjoy :grin2:

Specs:
Model BAT-30IL
Rating 14.4V, 4500 mAh
(does that mean (only) 1125 mAh for the single cells? (they're very old, so it wouldn't suprise me))

I already tore the label before I took pictures, but you'll get the idea of this:
accu3883.jpg

It has a nice led indicator (activated by a button press) to see it's current state:
accu3884.jpg

No screws, the use a screwdriver to take the cover appart, this is what you'll find inside: 12 Sony 18650's :rock:
accu3887.jpg

the pack was glued to the other side of the cover so that broke when I tried to remove the battery pack:
accu3888.jpg

The other side looks like this:
accu3889.jpg

After removing the strips that were welded on to connect it all together this is what I have left...
accu3891.jpg

I have an 18650 Cree powered light on it's way to me from Dealextreme so these will be put to good use for *** long as they'll keep working properly.

:naughty:

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
I did the exact same think to an old Dell pack.
I had 3 dead cells in mine though, really old pack.
Still use some of the good cells in lights today.

~John

jtice

Flashaholic
Oh, BTW, make sure not to over discharge them !!!
Those cells have NO protection now.
Dont drain them much below 2.7V.

~John

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on their likely setup of a series wired 4 x 3.6=14.4 volts and 3 sets of 4 in parallel that would be 4500mah/3 or 1500mah per cell I believe. I did the same with an old laptop battery and got 6 good Sony 18650's out of it. I think the battery was nearly 10 years old but the Li-ions still work great and are in a couple of my lights right now doing very well.

Last edited:

KnOeFz

Enlightened
jtice:
yeah, I know about the over charge/discharge issues with Li-Ions, thnx for the warning though. Only thing I'm not sure about is if the discharge rate from a flashlight could be too much for these cells? (1200 mA drive Cree)? I guess it's not that much and won't be a problem.

matrixshaman:
Your math's better then mine :) 1500 mAh's not so bad. these are probably also close to 10 years old, all cells give 4.1 volts (charged in the laptop before it broke down) 12 cells should last me a while when camping.

jtice

Flashaholic
They should be able to handle a Cree.
Incan mods is the only thing I would worry about.

~John

Tritium

Enlightened
jtice said:
They should be able to handle a Cree.
Incan mods is the only thing I would worry about.

~John

Incan mods should not be a problem. I have been using 18650's from packs that went out of service 5 years ago. Tore the packs apart and use the unprotected cells in several incans and leds as well. I use them in my 20 watt incan and my trilux and my MC1.

Thurmond

chris_m

Enlightened
I get all my LiIon cells from brand new Dell packs on Ebay. Current going rate is £30 for an 8 cell pack (2230mAh cells). Since I use them in packs (and hence leave the tags on for connections) with my own control electronics taking care of cutoff, unprotected isn't a problem, and at least last time I looked it was the cheapest way to get high quality LiIon cells.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tritium said:
Incan mods should not be a problem. I have been using 18650's from packs that went out of service 5 years ago. Tore the packs apart and use the unprotected cells in several incans and leds as well. I use them in my 20 watt incan and my trilux and my MC1.

Thurmond

Same here. I have almost one hundred Li-ion cells from laptop power packs.

paulr

Flashaholic
Cheapest source of cells in packs on ebay seems to be Sony NP-F970 replacement camcorder packs that go for about 25 bucks USD and have six 18650's inside.

LEDite

Enlightened
KnOeFz;

The 1500 mah cells are quite old.

Manufacturers rate lithium ion cells for 5 years of life, so the actual capacity has probably declined qite a bit.

You can still use them for your lights.

Larry

KnOeFz

Enlightened
Yeah, I knew they're old, the laptop they came from was 9 or 10 years old. The 18650's are functioning great in my Cree powered light. Getting 12 of these cells for free this way is awesome and will be great when on vacation. Don't think I'll use a cell per night when camping so 2 week trips without recharging is possible :grin2: