I need a reading light

Senses

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a small, inexpensive reading light, and I want maximum smooth flood for a granny to brief read in dark area. Maximum output is not an issue, battery choice can be either AA, AAA, RCR2, or RCR123

So it has to be inexpensive (under $40?), and absolute smooth beam, preferably no hot spot at all

Thanx in advance guys

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind a totally "ghetto," DIY approach:

Get a lantern battery, a Nite-Ize PR LED bulb, some wires, and your soldering iron. The wires should have a clip at one end, and bare copper on the other. Solder the bare ends to the NI bulb (the end nub is positive, the sides are negative), and clip the wires to the correct springs of the lantern batt.

If you want to get fancy, put a switch in there somewhere.

You can buy everything you need at a general electronics store (or online, of course), or I would be happy to make one for you and send it to you.

If you do mind a DIY solution, you could try a 2C Mag with a NI bulb, with the reflector removed.

Senses

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I should've prase my request better.

I'm looking for a pocketable single battery (be it AA, AAA, CR2, RCR123) light for grand mom. 2C is too big for her to carry with her. Thanx!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I was thinking of a floody bedside reading light. A good option for a pocketable night-time light would be a Fenix E0.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a Gerber Infinity Ultra would be good. The Fenix EO is good but I think the Gerber might be a little easier for Grandma to twist due to its bigger size (1 AA). Good long runtime. A little blue-green but floody enough.

bwm

Newly Enlightened
I modified a Gerber Infinity Ultra for reading by using a scotchbrite pad to scruff up the led - this diffused the hotspot making the beam much more useful for reading.

Brian

Sig229

Newly Enlightened
What about a PALight? it runs on a single 9v battery and is very pockatable. It has two brightness modes and a sttrobe mode. The low setting is great for reading at night or simularlly a menu in a restraunt.
Their claim to fame however is they never really shut off. The led always had a dim lighht to it. Makes it great to find in the dark on your nightstand.
They cost about $15 from brightguy

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Pal_Light_Survival_LED_Flashlight.php

Bill

Another thought what about a Streamlight Stylus? Long run time, great brightness. No bigger than an ordinary pen.
About the4 same price.
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_Stylus_LED_Flashlight.php

Last edited:

Skibane

Enlightened
My nomination would be the Energizer Folding LED Compact Light -

PrmFoldingLEDGray_z.jpg

- Two brigheness levels,
- Very even, white light,
- Long battery life (several hundred hours on 4 alkaline AA cells),
- Small and compact - folds to a package about the size of a bar of soap,
- Also works well with rechargeable NiMH cells,
- Inexpensive (under 7 bucks at Target).

paulr

Flashaholic
1. Any kind of handheld light is terrible for reading for any length of time--and your grandma may not want to deal with a headlamp. So you want some kind of lamp-style light.

2. All the flashlights above (as opposed to the folding compact light) are lousy for reading because they have too narrow a hot spot. The folding compact light is nice especially if you can figure out a way to mount it. It uses four AA's but is fairly compact, fits in a purse easily. If you're a really big spender, there's the CR2 Ion which is tiny and has a nice flood beam, but is way outside of your budget ($100+).

Aside from that, you might be able to put some diffuser over a led flashlight, or scuff up the led as suggested above.

quarkstar

Newly Enlightened
I know this may sound odd but...I love using a headlamp as a reading light. It lets me keep my hands free, works without needing a surface (like a table or night stand...not to be found everywhere i.e. on aircraft) to put it on other than my head (which I usually have with me), can be found at many prices, have multiple output levels, and may be powered by many types of batteries. Plus, they can be used as handheld lights.

I use a River Rock . 5 watt led lamp as my main reading light. I cost me$10 at Target, runs on 2 AAA (for many hours) has Hi/Low/strobe levels, and it's tiny.

Senses

Newly Enlightened
Thanx for all the replies guys.
I'm wondering what's the beam quality of the E0? Cuz I don't think she would prefer a ringy flashlight as she has trouble to read anything but perfectly easy to read items :lolsign:

And the flash light is for her occasional reading like a dinner menu in a very dim restaurant.....