Question about L6 - Seoul conversion....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm kicking around the idea of using a M3 head and tower module for a Seoul upgrade, but it may not work out. (see other thread) I'll have to fall back on a L6 and upgrade the emitter to a Seoul. From what I've read the L6 runs at 700mah so with 3 cells the runtime should be better than the 90 minutes specified. I could be wrong about the current draw however. Just seems kinda low.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Primary lithium CR123A cells are good for about 1300 mAh. Three of them in series will give you about 9 volts, or 11.7 watt hours.

Divide that by a 5 watt Luxeon V, and multiply by about 65% efficiency. That gives almost exactly 90 minutes.

Remember the Luxeon V runs at a higher voltage than a Lux III. That's why the current draw seems low.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Argghh. Now I'm stuck....Guess I'll have to figure out how to make that tower module work... Would changing the driver board in a KL6 be difficult?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The circuit in the KL6 will happily send the correct voltage to a SSC P4 without any modification.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I've seen that. But what I would like is to have more than one setting and the high be like 1amp or so - If the emitter can take it. Decisions, decisions...

dcjs

Newly Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Yeah, I've seen that. But what I would like is to have more than one setting and the high be like 1amp or so - If the emitter can take it. Decisions, decisions...

I guess a two-stage tailcap is not what you're after? :whistle:

Well, the driver is easily accessible and I don't see any problems removing it, although I didn't do that. You would have to unsolder the wires that go from the driver board to the contact springs. It should be relatively easy to install whatever driver board you want to use (basic modding skills required), but why not try the stock driver first? I doubt that your first thought upon firing it up would be "This is too dim, I need more output!" :naughty:

Last edited:

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easiest way would be to swap out the circuit for a DownBoy 1000 and mod the tailcap with a 2 stage kit from the Sandwich Shoppe.