szwohlesale 245 (?) lumen ssc

slim shady

Newly Enlightened
It looks like the same one deal X is selling.They should be arriving in the states shortly.

r0b0r

Enlightened
I *hope* it's now at my local post office... the *******ly postman didn't deliver it to my door, or the local post office - instead one a couple miles out of my way!
One that shuts before I finish work.... grrr....

I got them to forward it to my local PO so hopefully it will be there on my way home from work thisevening :) Will let you guys know how it goes...

(Have some 123R3.6 cells in my bag ready to go ^_^)

daveman

Enlightened
It needs to be driven at more than 1.5A to get ~245 lumens out the front. Wouldn't last very long till the LED blows.

r0b0r

Enlightened
On Dealextreme they specify 700mA to the LED

"150-180lm according to SSC"

that would presumably be bulb lumens so the reflector \ lens will cut that down a bit.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
150 to 180 lumens? This light is advertised at 245 lumens.
I have this exact light -- no way is it pushing 245 lumens out the front. Dealextreme tests torch lumens using the same technique as flashlightreviews.com (lux meter inside a white painted box). While their lumen numbers probably aren't terribly accurate, they will be useful in comparing the relative brightness of different lights at their website. I could buy pushing 180 out the front though.

It is by no means a bad light though -- it's both my brightest and longest-throwing LED light. I woudl buy it from DX though both because they are cheaper, and advertise more honest specs.

Thread about this exact light including some beamshots

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
On rechargeable batteries mine draws 925 mA on high and 60mA on low with tail resistor changed to 80 ohms. Low wasn't low enough for me. Bought from DX.
Norm

LEDite

Enlightened
I just posted a new thread on the same "MTE light".

I had to mod the light to eliminate the 2 x 123 battery setup. It was wasting more than half of the battery power!

MTE Battery Mod

The LED runs a lot cooler and run time should be twice as long (1.75 hours).

Larry Cobb

r0b0r

Enlightened
Nice :)

I will do the resistor mod and equalize the two modes... there's no point in this sucker having a "lower" output mode that feeds a resistor.

If I want low, I'll use the L1D :)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... I didn't realize that this light was direct drive all this time -- I've only so far used it for fairly short bursts so didn't notice any runtime issues. I just assumed it was a buck converter since it was two cells, I didn't think any manufacturer would be silly enough to drop 2 cells worth of voltage with a big fat 5 Ohm resistor instead of just direct driving with an 18650 and a <1Ohm resistor.

I like the light -- it's a nice body and throws well so I don't want to get rid of it. I'm not sure whether I should buy a 17670 battery to do direct drive, or actually get a buck converter to put in the light.

Last edited:

LEDite

Enlightened
2xTrinity;

Just get the #17670 battery and change the resistor.

Efficiency won't be but slightly lower than an actual regulator.

Larry Cobb

r0b0r

Enlightened
I'm very impressed with the power of the MTE... however....... after a couple minutes on high, the output becomes more blue.

When in "low" mode the output does not become blue.

Is this evidence of an overdriven LED having a heatsinking issue?

Even with the stock resistor setup, output with a fresh 17670 isn't too bad. About the same output as the L1D on medium, though with better throw.

Have the thing at work today so will take it apart :p

Norm

Retired Administrator
r0b0r said:
I'm very impressed with the power of the MTE... however....... after a couple minutes on high, the output becomes more blue.

When in "low" mode the output does not become blue.

Is this evidence of an overdriven LED having a heatsinking issue?

Even with the stock resistor setup, output with a fresh 17670 isn't too bad. About the same output as the L1D on medium, though with better throw.

Have the thing at work today so will take it apart :p
Sounds like heat sink problems, others have reported the same problem. Remove the star and make sure the heatsink compound hasn't dried out.
Norm

LEDite

Enlightened
r0b0r;

There is more heat coming from the resistor than the LED. It could be overheating the LED and phosphors, causing your color shift.

Change the resistor and go to the 17670 battery.

Larry