I have had a Piglet from Goldserve that I had been meaning to use for a while. I finally got around to doing a mod on an ArcLS. (That Arc previously had a FLuPIC and a Cree XR-E)
Since I wanted to be able to run this on any type of batteries, I started by changing the current resistors so that I had 60 and 450 mA for Low and High. This is lower than a stock board.
The heatsink is similar to the one I used for the NexGen400 mod but it is a little deeper (I didn't drill through for inductor clearance). Even so, with the Piglet, Cree XR-E, modified Nuwai Q3 reflector, and a 2mm thick window, the battery pack O-ring is still covered by the body.
The Cree XR-E I used is a freak with a really low Vf. IIRC, the Vf was around 2.9V @ 350mA. At 500mA it was 3V.
Here are some pics.
A dry fit
Emitter with "wings"
Piglet board with Kapton tape
Emitter mounted (+/- and driver board ground)
Looking down the "barrel"
My goal was not to make a blinding-bright flashlight but one with a good run-time and full regulation. With a fresh Li-ion, the current draw is less than 500mA on high and around 50mA on low. With 2x NiMH cells, currrent draw is around 650mA on high.
Oh, here's the Piglet UI menu:
Beamshots (bracketed). Piglet CreeXR-E_P2 @450mA / Nuwai Q3 Reflector / McLuxPD Seoul P4 @530mA / Jetbeam C-LE 1xAA Alkaline High
Great work as always Paul! The freaky low Vf was a very nice find...
Also like how the Cree's focal point within the reflector compensates for heatsink thickness, a little trickier to accomplish with SSC P4.
Thanks Derek, that reflector was 2-3mm longer than the IMS one it replaced. The Cree emitter really helps for that, but on the other hand, it usually requires a deeper reflector for longer throw. Since that was not one of my priorities it worked out well for me. Cheers,