H2O battery (a little OT)

chris_m

Enlightened
There was a guy on Dragons' Den (UK program where inventors look for funding from speculative investors) trying to get funding for research into what he called an "H2O battery" - what he had is at the bottom of http://www.simplyradios.com/acatalog/H2O.html, which he said was the 2nd generation model - he was looking for funding to research the 4th generation version. Just wondering if anybody here knows anything about it - from what I can work out it seems to be a sacrificial electrode device?

Was quite strange seeing his presentation and the reactions. He very much gave the impression that the energy was coming from the water itself, without saying so explicitly - no mention of electrodes being used up or anything like that. Also he was after funding to research a model which would allow higher current draw than the trickle which was possible with this. Now most of the Dragons obviously didn't have a scientific background, and so didn't particularly dispute his science. However the one that did tore him to shreds - basically accused him of trying to pull the wool over their eyes - a sentiment I agreed with. He very much denied this afterwards, from which I can only assume he didn't understand the science himself and was simply a marketing guy who believed the line somebody else had fed him.

Anybody else see this and think he was trying to sell a perpetual motion machine?

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without a disclaimer on the site, I'd say it was a con job. You could make a "water" powered battery by adding a bit of acid, vinegar, citric acid, etc to the water and putting it in a container with two dissimilar metals in it. "Two dissimilar metals in an acidic solution." is the definition of a battery.
If he sold it with a bit of citric acid crystals stuffed in the end it would work for a while.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those devices probably use some timed release (slow dissolve rate) acid in a brick form, that dissolves in water and their are 2 electrodes, I'm thinking that if you took one apart after a while you would find it to be disgustingly corroded and ruined inside, most ordinary tap water is actually not balanced so it would produce a small amount of energy with 2 electrodes. Food for thought.

Illum

Flashaholic
not really, I have that water clock

its a little green cartridge with two 0-rings, inside the container holds about 5drops of water and the top has one textured metal contact in the center and another contact surrounding it. Open circuit voltage was about 0.4V.

Funny thing is, overtime when though the entire container is sealed, that little gizmo actually drains water so you'll have to refill it about once every two months or so

clocks not with me anymore:ohgeez:

revelant literature: http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=116&art_id=vn20031020075715207C351005&set_id=1

clock [ battery ]: http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/7c0f/images/1359/

http://www.ecodigital.co.uk/estore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=11&zenid=c27f30455316ade1ab88a4f16b9884bd said:
The patented technology utilises two electrodes consisting of specially] to: formulated alloys, one positive, and the other negative. When immersed in an electrochemical reaction takes place resulting in the production of electrical energy."

In addition to this, the H2O battery (unlike all other conventional batteries) can be stored in its dry state indefinitely and can be left to dry out at any time during its life and it's life extended indefinitely.

this kills the acid solution theory:ohgeez:

Last edited:

chris_m

Enlightened
Are you sure that's how it works? Can't see any way in which the water is being moved around in that battery, and certainly not the impression that was given.

chris_m

Enlightened
I was referring to your first link, which seems to refer to a totally different process, and isn't really at all relevant (the other quote got added after I'd written my comment). Yes it is an electrochemical reaction, that is what we are all suggesting.

Don't see anything that kills the acid solution theory - you could let an acid solution dry out and then re-energise it with more water. However noting the low power possible with these it seems feasible that normal water is acidic enough for the reaction, and as I first suggested, one of the electrodes is sacrificial.

Flashlight Enthusiast
tap water is not nuetral, have you tried using distilled water after a good flushing, I doubt it would work unless their is an acid brick in it.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
One can add salt to a jar of water ...and two disimilar metals and get a small amount of current. Or hook it up to a 12 volt batt and the electodes will release bubbles...hydrogen on one...oxegen on the other. One electrode will quickly be eaten.

Illum

Flashaholic
chris_m said:
I was referring to your first link, which seems to refer to a totally different process, and isn't really at all relevant

Sorry, I made it somewhat confusing for that comment

the first link is a research being made of batteries that run on water while the following links are product advertisements.

I suppose the Acid brick theory still holds. but since I no longer have the clock, I cant prove it one way or another:ohgeez:

dlong

Newly Enlightened
So this is a really OLD thread... but it seems like there are a bunch of promotional items being marketed with these "H2O batteries" -- has anyone actually gotten one and taken one apart?

-d