propane spotlight

trueink

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone....I'm a new member as of today 2/22/07!

I'm trying to find information or a manufacturer of a propane spotlight? The ones I have seen have a pistol style grip and use a small canister or tank type cartridge. They come with a reflective dish and a knob to control the flow of gas.

Is anyone familiar with this type of unit?

Thank you for any help!...................:grin2:

TrueINK

Flashlight Enthusiast
never heard of such a thing, last I checked propane didn't get hot enough for any material to luminses enough and the H content is high that it produces a blue flame with little light output.

trueink

Newly Enlightened
Yea I got the same result which brought me to the CandlePower Forum. A friend of mine has 2 that he bought in 2002. He's never seen them since. A member in that forum discussion was also describing these so I emailed him about it...

Thanks for trying to help!

TrueINK

trueink

Newly Enlightened

It's actually a gas mix.....not sure of the exact types involved..

TrueINK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably acytaline propane mix, you would need a metal reflector and some serious skills to pull off making one, but I doubt they are made anymore, maybe you are looking for a acytaline miners light?

cmaylodm

Newly Enlightened
Why couldn't it have a mantle in it like a Coleman propane lantern, but with a reflector behind it?

Blacklight

Enlightened
cmaylodm said:
Why couldn't it have a mantle in it like a Coleman propane lantern, but with a reflector behind it?

The brightest Coleman propane Lantern is the Pinnacle at about 1550 lumens total, not sure how that would look if you could focus the light. If you end up building something be very careful. I would not recomend trying to build your own. If you did, you would only want to use it in well ventilated area, also keep in mind that mantles are fairly fragile, so if it gets bumped HARD often, you will be replacing mantles (though that is a pretty easy procedure)

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a website I saw a while back that had many different "antique" lanterns featured and one of the lights they showed was a Propane searchlight made by Tilley. It's too big to be handheld though, the reflector itself looks to be 18 or 24 inches in diameter and it had some sort of stand or tripod mount. Gas was fed through a hose from a bulk tank.

trueink

Newly Enlightened
Billhess,

Yea those look real close....the ones I used had plastic housings where the bottom unscrewed and you inserted the gas canister..only afew years old so I would imaging someone out there sells them?

Question 2: As an alternative, is there a battery powered torch light that does not reflect off the water? These gas lamps allow you to see clear to the bottom providing the water is clear that is....

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking a light with a polarizing filter could possibly do the same thing that a camera would do withit knock out glare? Would be interesting to test.

trueink

Newly Enlightened
I'll be ordering one soon............I'll let you all know how it works?

Thanks everyone!

TrueINK

erniemoe

Newly Enlightened
The Sportsmans Guide had a propane powered spotlight a number of years back. I believe it was Swedish military surplus. It came in a crate with a tripod. It was for use in a fixed position... not very portable. The reflector appeared to be 1 to 1 1/2 feet in diameter. (From the picture)

Ernie

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Hmmm... that link takes me to an Italian site called grapesmall. After clicking on English, their products show tanning beds and booths... No propane spotlights.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never heard of a propane or other gas powered torch.
The closest thing I've seen is the Petzl Acetelyne headlamp for spelunking. The Aceto model which is no longer in production I beleive, can be found on a few misc google'd websites.