post office money order warnings.. lost MO can be cashed years later & charged back

cy

Flashaholic
post office money order warnings.. lost MO can be cashed years later & charged back

post office money order warnings.. lost MO can be cashed years later & charged back to you.

called post office and verified this to be correct. if you ever file for a lost post office MO, don't ever get cash back. You will be hanging forever. That casher check never expires and can be cashed indefinitely. then you will get charged back.

get another MO re-issued with same serial number instead. when that MO is cashed, you are done.

Paypal is a pita, but much easier than exposure above.

first alert posted by Kromatics below:

KROMATICS said:
I understand why someone would prefer a postal money order to an easily forged check or bank money order...

-but-

I must relate my experience with postal money orders. I sent someone a postal money order which they claimed was never received. I had bought from this person before so I went to the post office and claimed it as lost/stolen and received a refund. The refund was issued only after they checked to see if it had been cashed. I bought another money order and this time sent it certified mail and he received it and shipped the item to me. No problem, right? Wrong. Almost 3 years later he cashed the original money order (the one he claimed was never received and for which I received a refund) and the post office came to me to pay up. He even cashed it in a different state. I was never able to track him down and I ended up losing $300.

See, you cannot actually cancel a money order. Wish they would have told me that. If someone cashes it, even years later, it will go through just fine. If it was refunded to you then you owe the post office if it eventually gets cashed. Lesson learned. If you must send a money order do so Certified Mail at the very least. Then again I've sent things Signature Required and had them left the steps and in one case had the signature forged by the mailcarrier.

T

Tactical candle

Re: post office money order warnings.. lost MO can be cashed years later & charged back

Lessons learned! That's why I sent item over $200.00 or more alway had insured just in case!!!

cy

Flashaholic
Re: post office money order warnings.. lost MO can be cashed years later & charged ba

not much response due to everyone mostly uses paypal...