wireless mouse

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am looking for a good wireless mouse, since i got a new monitor i have way more desk space, the old one was an apple 20" probably weighed 40 pounds, any way i would like one that has the play and pause buttons on it as well as the back and forward buttons to brouse through pages, i dont want to necesseraily "sp" get the best one nor do i "need" all the options i stated, a really good regular wireless will suffice too, just as long it does not have LAG in movement. Mabey its just me but i think it would look cleaner without the mouse wire.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4837385

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am working with Logitech's wireless mice now for years. Both with LED and laser. I never experienced any kind of lag, however, I do not game that much, but as far as I know no one ever complained about lag.

The laser one I run now works very well, on pretty much any surface. Regular optical ones can get jumpy on patterned surfaces/wood, though this could be taken care of with mousepad. With the laser, you don't need it.

The software is pretty good, you can customize everything. Just get one with enough buttons. The newest receivers are about the size of a USB stick, no clutter at all.

EDIT: Logi has a wireless mouse called MediaPlay that is preconfigured to perform like a remote. MSRP $50. Sounds exactly like what you want.

My current one has a built-in rechargeable Li battery. Performed flawlessly for the last 1.5 years now, but I notice some capacity loss lately. This is the usual time between replacement mice for me anyway, and I already ordered a new one, which has a exchangeable AA battery. I'm not sure if I would get another build-in rechargeable anymore. If you are set-up with a charger, I would recommend using NiMH in them (all Logis can take them, though they run very long on AA Alkalines also).

Last edited:

lahjik

Newly Enlightened
Assuming the removal of the Apple 20" means Mac OS, what about a regular mighty mouse wireless and then <a href="http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/">QuickSilver</a> to handle all of the other necessary tasks? The little scroll ball on top of the mighty mice is actually quite decent for vertical and horizontal scrolling. I am just getting started on QS, but find it incredibly powerful for doing things like play/pause and what not as you can set up a mouse trigger for the command. So play might be moving your mouse to a corner and holding for .5 seconds.

Sometimes the extra buttons on a mouse are just so much more crap to fail.

fineday

Newly Enlightened
I've been using Logitech V500 for over one year. That's a good mouse, small, nice, and high performance.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a MSFT mouse and keyboard installed May of last year. The keyboard is still on the first set of batteries and I just changed the mouse a month or so again. I'm going to stick with alkaline for two reasons. The self discharge and the fact that the mouse just stops rather than give a warning when low.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
my wireless mouse takes two AA batteries in parallel and drains them to about 1 volt before it stops working. Perfect for a rechargeable long shelflife battery like the hybrids or eneloops.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my new Logitech VX revolution. Sweet thing. Tiny receiver, with slot in the mouse to store it (it's for my laptop to go). I like the new scroll wheel mechanics.

Runs on one, single AA! According to the software the Duracell that came with it lasts for 111 days! Logi recommends Alkalines only, understandable with this long runtime, but NiMH do not damage or void the warranty. In my experience NiMH run fine, though the battery capacity algorithm is screwed up, and the low battery warning might not come on in time. Hybrids/Eneloops should be ideal for it. I ordered 8 eneloops, 4 are for my digicam, and plan to use a set of two for the mouse.

Illum

Flashaholic
ive tried several Targus mice and their pretty good...except the unbelieveably high battery drain...I had to replace the 2AAAs every month to the point I thought "meh, i can deal with wires" I didnt feel any significant heat when its off so its not shorting AFAIC

LEDMaster2003_V2

Newly Enlightened
I have the MX Revolution (similar to the VX that elgarak has), and I too love it. It runs on a Li-ion rechargeable battery and, like the VX, has nice scroll mechanics: you can choose whether to scroll in ratcheting mode (you can feel the bumps) or free-run mode (which the wheel runs pretty much frictionless.) You can get through a long webpage/document in a short time period with this. You choose by pressing the wheel in. It can even switch modes depending on which app you're currently running, ex. free-roll in Firefox and ratcheting in Word, etc. Also very ergonomically comfortable.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
good mouse & wireless? impossible...

decent mouse & wireless? very well possible... logitech makes a few nice ones. But I recommend getting a good wired mouse. Try a mouse by Razer sometime... they are great at both accuracy & speed.

Mike V

Enlightened
I like the Logitech VX Revolution.

It's similar than the MX but a bit smaller and doesn't have the thumbwheel.

I've got small hands though.

kingoftf

Newly Enlightened
I´ve got a Kensington BT Pilot.

That works quite well here with my Mac. 2-Buttons and a Klick/Scroll-Wheel.

But for the normal PC you have to add a Bluetooth Receiver (i.g. a USB-BT-Stick)

Annother suggestion is the MS Explorer BT( with a lot of configuration for the buttons), works perfect under Windows, does not work under OS X.......

Never tried a Logitech by myself but my wife here in the office has the Keyboard / Mouse Model Cordless Keyboard.
The keyoard is quite well but the mouse stopped working after a few month, the charger for the battery is not working any more and so she switched to a annother mouse from NGS ( I think a spanish brand) with cord......

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike V said:
I like the Logitech VX Revolution.

It's similar than the MX but a bit smaller and doesn't have the thumbwheel.

I've got small hands though.

I have big hands, but can work with the VX very well. :shrug:

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a small wireless 'Microsoft' mouse specially made for laptop use.

I installed the 'Intelipoint 6.01' software on an old Compaq Armada M700 ( vintage 2002 ) running XP.

It worked perfectly for the first 1/2 hour.
On the next boot up a few days later, the mouse pointer moved but it was impossible to 'click' on anything. Nothing happened.

Software was uninstalled and the original mouse substituted. It also would not click.

After spending hours installing and un installing drivers etc, a repair install had to be undertaken.

Just my one time experience.

Latest posts