Edixeon KLC8 versus Cree XR7090 in the Elly

kanarie

Enlightened
Edison Edixeon KLC8 (advertised 210 lumen @ 1000mAh) versus Cree BIN XR7090WT-U1-WD-P4-0-0001 (from DX) In the Elly (cheap) flashlight
all with the original driver and one NiMH battery (1,2v)

from left to right: original Elly led, Elly with Cree, Elly with the Edison
3lightsxs.jpg

underexposed

3lightsxs2.jpg

The Edison's I have are a bit brighter than the Cree

What I did like about the Edison's (compared to the Cree) was
  • the price (they did cost me $6,30 a piece; emitter only)
  • the brightness;a full stop brighter than the original 1/3 stop brighter than the Cree
  • more compatible with Luxeon optics
  • will run as a direct drive bulb replacement in a 3D M*G realy BRIGHT! (stays pretty cool)
What I did not like about the Edison's was
  • the +positve pole on the backside(more difficult to install)
  • There is a colorshift in the beam (an ugly yellow corona!!!)
  • 1-2mm higher than a Cree
  • Lower build quality compared to the Cree

I did also some measurements but my multimeter gave some odd value's so I skipped it
the two Leds both pulled about the same.
Maybe some runtimes /extra info later

Cree star and a star with the KLC8
vs.jpg

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
kanarie,

Can you expand on your comments:

1. the -neg. pole on the backside(more difficult to install)
- Why was the negative lead harder to install?

2. Lower build quality compared to the Cree
- What specific areas of the LED did you see the Edison as being lower quality than the Cree?

I've been thinking about picking up some Edison Edixeons due to their lower price over SSC P4s, but have held off as they seem to have lower output relative to the SSC P4 (tho they seem about equal, if not better, in output compared to the Cree XR-E).

BTW, I think that 1-2mm height increase is what allows the Edison to work well with Lux-based reflectors (higher die height for better focus and thus no spacing required).

Bikecop

Newly Enlightened
For what its worth, the Edison is better suited for use with optics. The yellow corona disappears ( I modded my X3 bike light, way brighter than the T bin lux 3 it replaced.)

kanarie

Enlightened
1. the -neg. pole on the backside(more difficult to install)
- Why was the negative lead harder to install?
My mistake!!! I meant +positive ; To have a neutral or a negative on the the back of the led it easier to connect it to the flashlight housing for cooling purposes. otherwise you have to use a Star or a lot of non-electricity conductive glue.

2. Lower build quality compared to the Cree
- What specific areas of the LED did you see the Edison as being lower quality than the Cree?
The finish is rougher and most important ;the Cree has an edge around the led (embedded) I think to prevent side spilling of yellow light

Once again they will give you a lot of light (more than a Cree) but don't expect the same homogeneous light

edit1:
these are the colors (colorshift) you can aspect when using it in a reflector flashlight;
yellow.jpg

I also tried the Edison's on a few optics (luxeon and luxeon K2 optics 5,6 an 10 degrees) The yellow was still there but indeed less obvious

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's really yellow around the hotspot! Is the picture an accurate representation of how yellow the corona is in person?

kanarie

Enlightened
Wow, that's really yellow around the hotspot! Is the picture an accurate representation of how yellow the corona is in person?
Yes, this picture is selected because it shows how it will look in true life!

f.e. on a focused Mag. the yellow corona will be smaller but the colorshift from the center to the corner will be more dramatic..

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
i put mine in my andslite torch running with 3x2700 sanyo nimh .
the yellow spill beam is there but it was brighter compare to the LuxIII.
Runs cooler,might purchase more for few more mod.
No complains from me as long this thing is BRIGHT :)