Chinese New Year is almost over

coppertrail

Enlightened
Butane Lighter recommendations

I purchased a couple of those Jet 2000s from a merchant in the states, they should be here on Monday. They look to be great lighters.

Note: If you get one of these lighters (or any butane lighter), use premium grade butane (triple refined or higher) such as King or Lava. Do not use cheaper butanes such as Ronson or Zippo. Trust me, the performance and longevity of your torch will be greatly increased with premium butane.

For the butanes listed above and other great lighters, check out Little Havana Cigars

LGCubana

Enlightened
The Cigar lighters are actually a restock for me. I bought 3 of them last year, at a gunshow. As friends saw them, they "borrowed" them.

The flashing, multi color LEDs can be a little annoying at first. But they have a very strong triple flame. Much stronger than my Calibri lighters; with the 3 heads.

AtomSphere

Enlightened
I had bad experience from that lighter. I brought it to work and usually my lighter speeds the whole day in my jeans when I am moving equipments and stuff. But one day, it just broke to bits and pieces in my pocket. Further more, I burnt my eye lashes and eye browns in a club.

Instead i recommend the Helios Brunton, It is with me for 1-1/2 years and its still good...

LGCubana

Enlightened
I was going to guess that the club in question would be the Brass Rail in Toronto. :huh: The triple head lighters aren't for cigarettes.

coppertrail

Enlightened
No, the triple flame models definitely aren't good for cigarettes.

Sorry to hear that the lighter broke apart in your pocket. I'll keep that as a note to self. I'm assuming that thet bodies are plastic and not metal.

AtomSphere

Enlightened
Yup lots of eye candy but its not so well built in my opinion. Thought they were for cigarettes :laughing:

coppertrail said:
No, the triple flame models definitely aren't good for cigarettes.

Sorry to hear that the lighter broke apart in your pocket. I'll keep that as a note to self. I'm assuming that thet bodies are plastic and not metal.

Nope, I am from Singapore, smoking in clubs is still good there. Now I am studying in Canada :( God I miss the local food back there:ohgeez:

LGCubana said:
I was going to guess that the club in question would be the Brass Rail in Toronto. :huh: The triple head lighters aren't for cigarettes.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is? I didn't know that, but then I didn't go to any clubs (other than to pick up t-shirts at the Hard Rock. I kind of got the impression that the smoking restrictions were almost like California's (or Canada's) where you couldn't smoke in any building that was open to the public.

AtomSphere said:
Nope, I am from Singapore, smoking in clubs is still good there.

When people told me that food was cheap over there, I didn't realize it was that cheap. (about $1.75 USD for a good sized local lunch) And the hawker centers are great, kind of gives me an idea as to how and where the idea came from for those travesties that they call "Food Courts" in our shopping centers came from.

Welcome to North America, sorry about the high priced crummy food :). And the food at the West Edmonton Mall is not representative of good cuisine :D

AtomSphere said:
God I miss the local food back there

Last edited:

coppertrail

Enlightened
AtomSphere said:
Further more, I burnt my eye lashes and eye browns in a club.
After reading this, the picture of 'Wiley E. Cyote after one of those Acme bombs went off in his hands' :) popped into my head.

Anyone who's even had a few drinks shouldn't be using one of these lighters, let alone in a club :laughing:

AtomSphere

Enlightened
Yup its kindda weird once you get to know the Canadian laws compaired to singapore. In singapore, there is no smoking in building etc etc but smoking is still allowed in clubs nd pubs. I heard recently there is a new law a few months back that doesn't allow people to smoke in hawker centres. I fear one day clubs will be non-smoking too :(

Yea food is cheap and good if you know where to look in SG. Some places sell some "Singapore food" but trust me, non of them taste authentic at all... Feels like the taste was more suited to the locals :(

And worst of all, there is no chilli sause in Mac Donalds!!! :ohgeez:

Brighteyez said:
It is? I didn't know that, but then I didn't go to any clubs (other than to pick up t-shirts at the Hard Rock. I kind of got the impression that the smoking restrictions were almost like California's (or Canada's) where you couldn't smoke in any building that was open to the public.

When people told me that food was cheap over there, I didn't realize it was that cheap. (about $1.75 USD for a good sized local lunch) And the hawker centers are great, kind of gives me an idea as to how and where the idea came from for those travesties that they call "Food Courts" in our shopping centers came from.

Welcome to North America, sorry about the high priced crummy food :). And the food at the West Edmonton Mall is not representative of good cuisine :D

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
AtomSphere said:
Yup its kindda weird once you get to know the Canadian laws compaired to singapore. In singapore, there is no smoking in building etc etc but smoking is still allowed in clubs nd pubs. I heard recently there is a new law a few months back that doesn't allow people to smoke in hawker centres. I fear one day clubs will be non-smoking too :(

If I wasn't with a local or wasn't quite sure (i.e. there wasn't an ashtray around,) I just refrained, Singapore being the fine city that it is. ;)

AtomSphere said:
Yea food is cheap and good if you know where to look in SG. Some places sell some "Singapore food" but trust me, non of them taste authentic at all... Feels like the taste was more suited to the locals :(

And worst of all, there is no chilli sause in Mac Donalds!!! :ohgeez:

Of course. Food is always adapted to the locals whereever you go. That is why someone from North America would be surprised to find chili sauce at McDonalds, and fried chicken (not McProcessed, but on the bone) would certainly not be expected to be found on a US or Canadian McD menu.

An in the last 30 or so years with the massive influx of Asian immigrants to the US (and Canada), the whole food scene has changed. Even people Americans of Chinese extraction had to get acclimatized to the food dishes that were appearing in restaurants. Prior to that time, Chinese food was pretty much the same bland Cantonese dishes that had been probably been around since before the Chinese Exclusion Act. :)

We have a couple of "Singaporean" restaurants around here as well, but people don't rave about them. On the other hand, the first time that I ever went to Singapore, people kept telling me that I just had to try the Pepper Crab. Not knowing what it was, our hosts did order it for us at a hawker center, and much to my surprise, it was a dish that I had been eating at a Chinese restaurant in San Francisco for years (I had never asked the people in SF what the dish was :) ).