your opinions of Batterystation 123's

jayhackett03

Enlightened
just looking to see what everyone thinks of these? i've done searches and have seen positive and negative information about them. what do YOU think? whats the truth about these batteries? i want to switch to Batterystation 123's because lighthound sells them for cheap. way cheaper than the $3 i'm spending for each Surefire 123a, locally.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin at BS ZTS tests all batteries before he ships. So you get all cells at 100% capacity. From there on you can use them in series or single cell applications. They are good performers at current draw rates of 1C, or around 1.2 amps. If you want to use them in higher amperage demands I cannot recommend them as I would a surefire or duracell.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
jayhackett03 said:
i'll just be using them in a Surefire G2. will that work ok?

I would use them with the low output lamp. If you want to use the high output lamp I would buy Surefire or Duracell. But again, that is only what I would do.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sombody did a test of the CPF and major brands. They posted graphs and did a nice review. Does anybody have a link to that thread?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've never had any trouble with Battery Station 123As. I gather that they don't perform as well as surefire/duracell/energizer/sanyo/other major labels, but they are considerablhy cheaper.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED61 said:
Kevin at BS ZTS tests all batteries before he ships. So you get all cells at 100% capacity. From there on you can use them in series or single cell applications. They are good performers at current draw rates of 1C, or around 1.2 amps. If you want to use them in higher amperage demands I cannot recommend them as I would a surefire or duracell.

I cannot recommend SF's regardless of current draw. two outta 4 SF light's equiped with there cells and 5 outta a box of 12 have prematurely died and/or protection circuit cut in
before the cell was near depleted,,, this is a well worn subject on CPF. Had good luck with BS, and there are now many more brand's at low cost that are well regarded. (although I have not used them any, mostly li ion's for me now) VDG

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither Kevin at BS nor Wayne at amondotech recommend their batteries for 2.5 amps current draw. That is what the batteries go through when the high output lamps are used in the Surefire incandescent lights, such as the P61, P91, MN11, MN16, and MN21 lamps. BS cells are not good performers at this high current draw rate, titaniums do better but depending on batch are harder to match at 100% capacity. Please go over to Silverfox's excellent 123 shootout at 2.5 amps. I also think that if something were to happen to a light or a component because of batteries, Surefire would honor the warranty a lot easier if their batteries or duracells were used.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure you see this update to Silverfox's 123 battery shoot out.

"4/22/05 Wayne at AmondoTech was disappointed in the performance of his Titanium 123 cells and decided to do something about it. He met with the manufacturer and had them change the formulation to provide improved performance. He was successful. These new cells may not be the best at 0.5 amps, but lead the pack at 2.0 amps without heating problems."

Here is another graph of these cells. I am very impressed that Wayne made it a point to come up with a better product and delivered on this." http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=768005&postcount=1

AmondoTech's Titainium 123 cells are the same price as BatteryStation's ($1 each to CPF members). One thing however, if you buy a flashlight from BatteryStation's they give you a pack of (6 to 20) free batteries, depending on the price of the flashlight.

Unless you use the 20 minute runtime (P61, 91, etc) lamps, you are not going to run at 2.5 amps.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art Vanderlay, that is old data. There is newer data dating back just a couple of months at 2.5 amps, which more closely resembles high output lamps current demands. Titanium batteries are not as consistent in performance as duracell or surefires. Duracells are the best. At these high current draws and chips down, I would not try to save money sacrificing quality. But, I agree with you, for applications including LOLA´s I would and do use batterystation or titanium batteries so long as they are ZTS matched.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED61 said:
Art Vanderlay, that is old data. There is newer data dating back just a couple of months at 2.5 amps, which more closely resembles high output lamps current demands. Titanium batteries are not as consistent in performance as duracell or surefires. Duracells are the best. At these high current draws and chips down, I would not try to save money sacrificing quality. But, I agree with you, for applications including LOLA´s I would and do use batterystation or titanium batteries so long as they are ZTS matched.

Could you provide a link to the new data? I have seen references to new data, but it looks like they were talking about the data I linked. If you could provide a link to newer data, it would be very helpful. Thanks.:)

Last edited:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is SilverFox´s 123 battery shootout and the data is therein. It has November 2006 in the 2.5 amp test. You´ll be impressed.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED61 said:
It is SilverFox´s 123 battery shootout and the data is therein. It has November 2006 in the 2.5 amp test. You´ll be impressed.

12/27/2006 SilverFox posted
Update:

The Titanium CR123 test results are posted.

Tom

12/27/2006 Silverfox posted in response to the question "Posted where?"
Hello Hog and Tim,

The results are posted in the first post of this thread.

Tom

LED61, the first post of Silverfox's 123 battery shoot out thread, is what I linked in my initial post. Here it is again. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=768005&postcount=1

kc2ouf

Newly Enlightened
I've had good experience with Battery Station 123's in my Gladius. When the voltage gets low enough to cause the Gladius to blink, I run them in my single-cell Dorcy till they're dead.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art Vandelay said:
Make sure you see this update to Silverfox's 123 battery shoot out.

"4/22/05 Wayne at AmondoTech was disappointed in the performance of his Titanium 123 cells and decided to do something about it. He met with the manufacturer and had them change the formulation to provide improved performance. He was successful. These new cells may not be the best at 0.5 amps, but lead the pack at 2.0 amps without heating problems."

That was the old data I was referring to. At the end of Tom's first post you will find the new data you referred to in your previous post. 2.5 amps testing data.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED61 said:
That was the old data I was referring to. At the end of Tom's first post you will find the new data you referred to in your previous post. 2.5 amps testing data.

OK, I understand. I was hoping Silverfox had a new runtime chart that I had not seen before. In my book, Silverfox is one of the best members along with Quickbeam, Size15s, Newbie, Chevrofreak, JonSidneyB, GreenLED, and many others, not to mention the Mods.