What is the brightest LED flashlight that uses Alkaline batteries?

Cydonia

Enlightened
Simply put, what flashlight puts out the most lumens and yet runs off of normal Alkaline batteries? (preferably D cells)

(Yes, I understand the inherent limitations of the Alkaline chemistry that limit the current draw. So the solution seems to be in a simple parallel arrangement of cells. Such as sets of 3D in series... in groups of parallel.)

I have in mind a large lantern style flashlight running on 12 D cells, with 3, 5 or 7 5watt LED modules in a large copper or aluminum machined head with heat sink fins. Price, $200 or more, whatever it takes. But the point being, one can load it up with a dozen cheap Alkalines for $5 and get 2 or 3 hours regulated run time. A wall of light. That's all. Nothing fancy schmancy! :laughing:

Or should I get four 3D MagLED flashlights and strap them together with stainless steel hoseclamps and chunks of rubber tire between them for spacers? This would be a poor mans solution, and not nearly as bright as I would like, but at least it is "off the shelf" and rugged with LONG run time too. See what I am getting at? An LED bright super utility lantern that runs on cheap D cells but can itself cost a small fortune... Does anything like this exist yet? Sigh.

I await the ridicule... :popcorn:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been several threads of folks talking about a lantern with multiple Lux IIIs or K2s (or now that Crees and SSCs are the rage, they could be substituted) running off either D cells or a large SLA battery. I think that would be a very usable light.

I envision something similar. A large copper or al heatsink, but only probably 4 SSC LEDs with an NFlex controller (8 levels of output) with floody 17mm reflectors. This would probably range for ~100 lumens up to close to 500, I would think. The issue would be running on the higher levels for an extended amount of time. Even with the large sink, if the housing of the light is plastic, the heat still doesn't have far to go.

Maybe one of the Energizer lanterns with an Al body could be used but that Al is still pretty thin.

Edit - Of course, if we add in the ability to do a nice machnied aluminum head, that helps the heat issue considerably but I'd definately want multiple levels... At least two levels. I guess 100mA each and 750mA each would be two good levels to shoot for. I guess that would be about 100 Lumens at 100mA each and about 500 Lumens at 750 mA each.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Do you have an ultra-cheap source of alkaline cells? If not, you would be better off in the long run using rechargeables.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
Cydonia said:
Simply put, what flashlight puts out the most lumens and yet runs off of normal Alkaline batteries? (preferably D cells)
Take a look at Elektro Lumens custom offerings. For example (from the Elektro Lumens website) the specs for the Tesla-6, (6D cells only):

* Six 3 watt Luxeon LEDs, powered at 3,000mA.
* Lumens: 432
* Lux: Over 8,000
* Six 17mm reflectors (center LED and reflector are sunken into the heat sink, in the center)
* Available in 6D cell configuration only.
* This is a modified flashlight. Email us for info on what flashlight we use.

Custom made to order.

Cydonia

Enlightened
cratz2 said:
There have been several threads of folks talking about a lantern with multiple Lux IIIs or K2s (or now that Crees and SSCs are the rage, they could be substituted) running off either D cells or a large SLA battery. I think that would be a very usable light.

I envision something similar. A large copper or al heatsink, but only probably 4 SSC LEDs with an NFlex controller (8 levels of output) with floody 17mm reflectors. This would probably range for ~100 lumens up to close to 500, I would think. The issue would be running on the higher levels for an extended amount of time. Even with the large sink, if the housing of the light is plastic, the heat still doesn't have far to go.

Maybe one of the Energizer lanterns with an Al body could be used but that Al is still pretty thin.

Edit - Of course, if we add in the ability to do a nice machnied aluminum head, that helps the heat issue considerably but I'd definately want multiple levels... At least two levels. I guess 100mA each and 750mA each would be two good levels to shoot for. I guess that would be about 100 Lumens at 100mA each and about 500 Lumens at 750 mA each.

Yes, multiple levels. Notice my crude idea of strapping MagLEDs flashlights together also has inherent multiple levels... simply turn 1,2 or 3 separate flashlights on or off to adjust light output. Plus all are self contained for redundancy. A quick release mechanism to separate each flashlight would be essential. So that, for instance, each member of a search party can be equipped with a "piece" of the lantern as they break up and go their separate ways etc., (And each flashlight could contain Lithium AA's in D cell adaptors to withstand cold temperatures.) Or one could strap together C cell MagLED's. All sorts of possibilites. Maybe someone should make a nice machined aluminum "holder" for multiple MagLites with carrying handle - and individual quick release mechanism.

You would just load it up with your favorite Maglite combo, running whatever incandescent or LED source you want. Imagine 3 or 4 Mag85's together.

DM51 said:
Do you have an ultra-cheap source of alkaline cells? If not, you would be better off in the long run using rechargeables.

I concur. Then this utility light I have in mind would need to be able to run on rechargeable NiMh or NiCd D cells... Either way, battery change time would be like loading an absurd futuristic gun with shells. Quite a "cool" factor I would think.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M@G with the Terralux K2 dropin is quite bright and has a long runtime and works well when used with Alkaline batteries

Illum

Flashaholic
GeorgePaul said:
Take a look at Elektro Lumens custom offerings. For example (from the Elektro Lumens website) the specs for the Tesla-6, (6D cells only):

* Six 3 watt Luxeon LEDs, powered at 3,000mA.
* Lumens: 432
* Lux: Over 8,000
* Six 17mm reflectors (center LED and reflector are sunken into the heat sink, in the center)
* Available in 6D cell configuration only.
* This is a modified flashlight. Email us for info on what flashlight we use.

Custom made to order.

theres always the ELX-12D:ohgeez: