Folding knife recommendation

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the urging of a couple of knife aficnados I'd like to get some recommendations for a folding knife for EDC that will see moderate use and have the capability for a self defense knife, however unlikey that scenario may be. After reading some threads on a few forums I've compiled a list of features that I need in this knife: Thumb hole opener. No linerlocks. Straight edge w/o serr. Blade length-3.1"-4/4.25". Price range $65-$175. If you can recommend 3-5 that would be even better than just one. Cheers.

Last edited:

moeman

Enlightened
benchmade: griptilian (just traded one to milkyspit)
for that matter any bechmade with axis lock.

spyderco: delica/endura, native. captain.

Kershaw: ZT 200 (smooth! sweet knife!!!)

lots of good knives out there....

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, the obvious choice here is the newest version of the Spyderco endura. Don't be fooled by the polymer handles, which some people don't like just because of the idea of polymer handles -- the knife has steel liners for strength, great ergonomics, a great EDC or defensive blade shape, top-shelf steel, fantastic edge geometry out of the box, the hole opener, an ergonomic handle, and the price is right. Here's a link: http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=208 If you're leaning more towards self-defense use, here is the ultimate: http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=226 The previous attributes described, plus the addition of the wave, makes this one of the best defensive folders at any price. Some people play down the advantages of the wave opener, but most of those people have only practiced their openings in a stress-free environment. All you have to do is some pressure-testing with a well-padded training partner, and you'll see how much difference the wave really makes to your ability to draw the knife under pressure.

Consider the waved Endura the gold standard, which is amazing because of its low cost. Any other knife beyond the Endura requires a trade-off. Again from Spyderco, the Manix and Chinook are both fantastic knives, stronger than the Endura and capable of heavier use, but also so much heavier so they are noticeably less comfortable to carry. The Stretch http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=166 is one of the under-rated knives Spyderco has, fantastic choice for almost anything.

There are some other companies with non-liner-locking thumb hole folders, but I can't think of any that meet your specs and that I'd recommend over the ones mentioned above. The only one that I might consider is the Mini Skirmish, http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=bm635p if you're willing to deal with a recurved blade. Otherwise, it's a beauty. [edit: Oops, how can I forget Benchmade's 550. Great knife with the axis lock. While it has polymer handles like the Endura, the handles are so thick that the relatively lighter weight is offset by less carry comfort, so for me this is an easy nod to the Endura (especially with the wave option), but many people choose the Griptilian instead]

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. T. I don't know if you're an author but you post/write extremely well. Fantastic, I will look into these recommendations and I see a couple of Spydercos in my immediate future. Moe the man, it's funny. After looking at your sales thread for a couple of days I decided to come back and buy it (550) only to find that Scott had picked it up 10 minutes before I returned. Thankyou for the input. Cheers.

moeman

Enlightened
sorry about that! (but i got me Scott's personal M-L1 coming)

you should not rule out the liner lock, just the cheap ones :)

I personally like the delica more than the endura, but thats me.
the new ones (delica and endura both) have a steel liner in the handle, so they are even stronger, and they are screwed together instead of pins, with a better, stronger tip on the blade. best knife for the money.
chris

zulu45

Enlightened
Definately Benchmade is a great choice. The AXIS lock is the greatest lock ever made, and the quality you get when you buy Benchmade is great. If you can manage to find one, the Buck Taclite 885 is a discontinued knife, but is amazing. G10 handle, ATS-34 steel, a very good liner, and a button to unlock the liner without putting your finger in the path of the blade. I rank this second on my personal list, second to the Benchmades. Of course, if you want a reliable knife, with great quality, you can NOT go wrong with the Spyderco Native. For only $40 U.S., just go to Wal-Mart and pick it up. Not only is it a great knife, but the ease of replacement is an extra incentive.

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
I'm with Joe Talmadge, the Endura Wave seems to be the ideal knife for what you're looking for. Others:

Spyderco Pacific Salt
"" Police
"" Manix
"" Chinook
"" Yojimbo (2.88" blade)
"" ATR
"" D'allara Drop Point
"" Delica Wave
"" Stretch
"" Kris

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rotate a Kershaw G10 Leek or a Kershaw Avalanche.
Not a big fan of the Native's handle:shrug: (and it's not 40 at my walmart).
You should get an axis-lock Benchmade according to your request.
I keep thinking about a tanto griptilian.

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
The Byrd Cara Cara is a match for the criteria you listed. It has a thumb hole opener and uses a lock back instead of a liner lock. The blade is 3 7/8" long and you can either choose plain edge or partially serrated. There is also a version of it that comes with G-10 handles that I will have a link to. I bought one from New Graham Knives for $25 but it's now listed at just under $24.

http://newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=6059

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe made excellent recommendations, especially the part about the ability to deploy the knife under stress.

I was taught to use the fending position. When threatened, you turn your knife side away from the threat so you can use your dominant hand to extract the weapon un-encumbered. Your non-dominant arm/leg will momentarily provide cover.

I need only 1-1.5 seconds to deploy my knife, which is clipped inside my pocket.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
pedalinbob said:
Joe made excellent recommendations, especially the part about the ability to deploy the knife under stress.

I was taught to use the fending position. When threatened, you turn your knife side away from the threat so you can use your dominant hand to extract the weapon un-encumbered. Your non-dominant arm/leg will momentarily provide cover.

I need only 1-1.5 seconds to deploy my knife, which is clipped inside my pocket.

Stress testing the openings was eye-opening. We did this with scenario drills. When the scenario was that the bad guy would play things up early, so your spider sense would start tingling and you'd pull your knife out before an actual assault, most opening mechanisms work fine although again for me the wave is best, the hole a clear second, and thumb stud last. But sometimes we'd do a worst-case scenario drill, where the first indication that you were being assaulted was when the bad guy would assault you. So, you'd have to beat him off to create some space to draw your knife ... now, scared, with your heart pounding from the previous exertion, you'd try to draw while the bad guy is charging back to get you. Yes, definitely worst-case, but also extremely realistic, IMO. For me, in this scenario, thumb studs became completely useless and I'd just wrist-flick my thumb stud knives open (always nerve-wracking wrist-flicking a knife open when you're already stressed and tired, lest you end up throwing your knife). With a blade hole, I could at least thumb it open, though it was way harder and slower under this stress level. With a wave, it was still: grab knife and pull. I think all the guys I did these drills with carry waved enduras now :)

Last edited:

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez, I hate to disagree with Joe -- kind of like arguing with Einstein about general relativity. But I will. I'm also going to argue with you, fnmag. I guess I'm just cranky this morning. I personally think the wave feature is close to worthless. If you practice with it constantly, you can open it faster than other knives, but you increase the chance of dropping it during a high-stress situation. (The approach to the draw and mount is critical and requires a calm concentration, something you are not likely to possess when under attack.) Plus, to open the knife with the wave, you have to pull the knife backwards, away from the attack. An axis lock is faster to open AND deploy than a wave. But a good thumb hole or stud is nearly as good.

The Endura is a great knife, especially for the money. I don't mind the plastic handle.

But, the Military is better, with it's long, pointy, flat-ground blade. I cuts better. It penetrates better. It's stronger. I know, fnmag, you don't like liners from reading on the internet, but the Military has an excellent liner that is easy to use and very strong. If you're worried about breaking this liner, you probably should have a fixed blade. The Manix would be a great choice if you don't mind the size and need an extremely strong folder: It's pretty big in the pocket. The Benchmade Rukus is a wonderful knife that is very fast to open (axis lock and heavy blade), but it has a thumb stud. I don't know why you don't like thumb studs, but this knife is so smooth and easy to open that I don't think you should ignore it.

Knives are a gestalt kind of thing -- more than the sum of their parts. If you go about making a laundry list of preferred features, and only considering knives with all those features, you are going to miss out the the best knives that manage to blend whatever set of features they have into a knife that is fun and easy and effective to deploy and use. And you can find a knife that has all the features you want and is a stinker to use. A knife is a package of design features that are, in the best cases, designed to work together.

Bottom line: I like your list of required features, as separate features, but the knife that works best for me is the Spyderco Military. I think you can still get the limited run Military in BG-42 steel and carbon fiber handles and beefed up liner lock and stay within you budget. The Manix would be my next choice if you place a premium on sheer strength. The Rukus would be my choice if pure speed of opening is most important.

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
I considered long and hard before i finally decided to buy a mini-skirmish! This is the smoothest opening non-assisted knife i have ever come across. The titanium handles help with the weight and it is incredibly stong with the titanium frame lock. And of course the S30V blade speaks for itself. Go to a knife store and actually hold/open the knives before buying. THis is my work knife edc and on the weekends when i need to be a little less obvious i have a titanium zdp-189 leek, an amazingly fast opening blade!. Good call Joe. :)

ken

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=bm635p[/url] if you're willing to deal with a recurved blade. Otherwise, it's a beauty. [edit: Oops, how can I forget Benchmade's 550. Great knife with the axis lock. While it has polymer handles like the Endura, the handles are so thick that the relatively lighter weight is offset by less carry comfort, so for me this is an easy nod to the Endura (especially with the wave option), but many people choose the Griptilian instead]

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, a very interesting thread!

I haven't tried a wave, but would love to.
Our stress testing was, as Joe stated, and eye-opener...kind of frightening at times. We used Spyderco trainers, so the thumb hole is second nature to me. I have never been fond of studs, but everyone has their favorite.

I usually carry either a Delica, Byrd Meadowlark or a Kabar Dozier thumb hole model.
I know that due to their short blades, they are considered "less than ideally lethal." But here in Michigan, law enforcement has great dislike for blades which exceed 3".

Even a short blade can cause a great deal of damage, and the very sight of a knife can abruptly stop an attack.