Malkoff

Thread: The Oscars

Popcorn The Oscars

Anyone going to watch the Oscars tonight? I caught Pan's Labyrinth last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the storytelling was first rate, the acting was excellent and not overdone, and the cinematography was perfect.

I could've watched Notes on a Scandal or Pan's Labyrinth and I'm glad to have seen PL on the big screen. The special effects were absolutely seamless. The film is done in Spanish, with English subtitles, so it may not be for everyone. Pan's Labyrinth is a very good movie, but it's not appropriate for small children or squeamish adults.

It graphically shows the cruelties of war and demonstrates how much a person needs to be able to exercise free will and make choices -- even if those choices can only take place in a fantasy world.

This has been your Oscar moment.

-- Tony

Default Re: The Oscars

Quote Originally Posted by tb2776
    Anyone going to watch the Oscars tonight?
    Watching self-congratulatory, arrogant narcissists praise themselves while delivering a gratuitous political message is not on my agenda.

But even though I won't be watching, my sweet spirit of love, tolerance and diversity keeps me from throwing my tv out the window.

cheers

Edited only for spelling.
    Last edited by powernoodle; 02-26-2007 at 04:18 PM.

Lessee, hollywood hasn't congratulated itself in at LEAST two weeks now. I think they're due for a fix.

I'll probably watch it out of the corner of my eye. I plan to flip between that and Discovery Channel's viewer-spoof show tonight.

I think the broadcast is a waste of electrons that diminishes the actual award of merit.

Quote Originally Posted by powernoodle
    Watching self-congratulatory, arrogant narcissists praise themselves while delivering a gratuitous political message is not on my agenda.
    Couldn't have said it better! This is so f%cking ridiculous.
    SureFire's Company Charter:
    "In all thy activities thou shalt piss-off CPF members to the best of thy ability."

Enlightened

The Oscars are tonight? Yawn.

True, they are self-congratulatory. But there are some good movies out there, no? Perhaps the thread should have been titled, 'Seen any good movies?'

Flashaholic*

I must confess that I'm addicted to the Amazing Race. I can hear the groans already but I shall watch those worldwide shenanigans rather than that Hollywood bulls#&*t!

Addictions are nothing to be ashamed of, fnmag. How else do you explain a whole forum dedicated to flashlights?

So I guess no one here goes to movies, eh? Well if you do, I'd recommend seeing or renting Pan's Labyrinth. It sure beats watching "Norbit."

No Oscars for ME tonight.

I'm gonna' watch "Discovery Spoofs" on the Discovery Channel.

Always been a fan of good satire.

(something rarely seen in Hollywood) <wink>

Oscars,yawn guess i'll go to bed early tonight.

I don't plan on watching them, but I will say, even if it hasn't been a spectacular year for film overall, this is one of the first years in recent memory where every nominee for Best Film is a very decent movie. Most years, it always seems like there's at least one nominee in each major category that sticks out like a REALLY sore thumb.

Even worse is when that sore thumb wins.

In place of the Oscars, I'll try to watch the reissue of Legend and rewatch The Departed.
    "That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

i watch a few seconds cause a elen d she is so funny.but all them people in the suits look like snobs.if i ever won a oscar id show up in a white hanes t shirt and some walmart jeans .and id ask em to turn off all the lights when i was on stage then id sneak off stage and leave the staue there painted blue
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

i never thought ellen was funny.

Enlightened

Icon15 Re: The Oscars

Quote Originally Posted by powernoodle
    powernoodle +1
    Oscars = Hollywood = BFD

Quote Originally Posted by carbine15
    i never thought ellen was funny.
    I always liked her back in the day... Mid to late 80s on Comic Relief or whatever that Billy Crystal/Robin Williams/Whoppi Goldberg thing was. Truth be told, I used to kinda have a bit of a crush on her.

And now I think she's funny again on her talk show which I see about 5 times a year.
    "That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

I'm watching it right now. Sorry guys. Let me redeem myself by saying I'm also browsing CPF and other websites.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33
    ...and id ask em to turn off all the lights when i was on stage then id sneak off stage and leave the staue there painted blue

I watched part of it tonight before getting bored.
    Some might think that I'm anti-Hollywood, but then again, I'm just a judgemental spectator.

Am I the only person who DIDN'T get "The Departed"?

I watched the movie, and didn't like it at all. Weird ending, is the best I can say. ???
    Sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Danbo
    If it helps, I've never seen it and don't have any plans to change that anytime soon.

Of the films on deck last night the only two I've seen are Letters from Iwo Jima (outstanding) and Children of Men (still wrestling with that one). The only film from last night that I haven't seen, but want to, is The Last King of Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Danbo

I watched the movie, and didn't like it at all. Weird ending, is the best I can say. ???
    My dad didn't really like it, either. I've yet to see it.

Flashaholic*

I didn't get 'Babel' either. Kept trying to figure it out. Then they say it's four seperate stories. right. (big wet) :raspberry:

I watched partially expecting it to blow up..but it didn't. Ellen was funny; telling Steven Spielberg how to take her picture and to frame it better on her camera phone..but 3 hours was kind of long..

they say the Oscar is worth a about a 100 million, I think, for a best pic oscar...
    Last edited by TedTheLed; 02-26-2007 at 11:21 AM.

What a travesty! An Oscar for The Departed? It's just a copy of "Infernal Affairs" for people who think watching asians is unbearable...

Edit:
    Kinda reminds me of Vanilla Sky. When it came out (spanish movie!) Tom Cruise watched it and thought "Hm, great movie, but it has one flaw: My pretty face is not in it!", so he made a second version. "Yeah, screw the original actor, I want the credit for it! I love me! Me! Me! Everything revolves around me!"
    Last edited by DocArnie; 02-26-2007 at 03:21 PM.
    SureFire's Company Charter:
    "In all thy activities thou shalt piss-off CPF members to the best of thy ability."

Flashaholic*

I saw bits and pieces of the Oscars and thought Ellen was pretty funny--the vacuuming episode was "different."
    Having a right and doing what's right is not always the same.