The Oscars

tb2776

Newly Enlightened
Anyone going to watch the Oscars tonight? I caught Pan's Labyrinth last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the storytelling was first rate, the acting was excellent and not overdone, and the cinematography was perfect.

I could've watched Notes on a Scandal or Pan's Labyrinth and I'm glad to have seen PL on the big screen. The special effects were absolutely seamless. The film is done in Spanish, with English subtitles, so it may not be for everyone. Pan's Labyrinth is a very good movie, but it's not appropriate for small children or squeamish adults.

It graphically shows the cruelties of war and demonstrates how much a person needs to be able to exercise free will and make choices -- even if those choices can only take place in a fantasy world.

This has been your Oscar moment.

-- Tony

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
tb2776 said:
Anyone going to watch the Oscars tonight?

Watching self-congratulatory, arrogant narcissists praise themselves while delivering a gratuitous political message is not on my agenda.

But even though I won't be watching, my sweet spirit of love, tolerance and diversity keeps me from throwing my tv out the window. :thumbsup:

cheers

Edited only for spelling.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Lessee, hollywood hasn't congratulated itself in at LEAST two weeks now. I think they're due for a fix. :laughing:

I'll probably watch it out of the corner of my eye. I plan to flip between that and Discovery Channel's viewer-spoof show tonight.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the broadcast is a waste of electrons that diminishes the actual award of merit.

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
powernoodle said:
Watching self-congratulatory, arrogant narcissists praise themselves while delivering a gratuitous political message is not on my agenda.

Couldn't have said it better! This is so f%cking ridiculous.

tb2776

Newly Enlightened
True, they are self-congratulatory. But there are some good movies out there, no? Perhaps the thread should have been titled, 'Seen any good movies?'

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must confess that I'm addicted to the Amazing Race. I can hear the groans already but I shall watch those worldwide shenanigans rather than that Hollywood bulls#&*t!

tb2776

Newly Enlightened
Addictions are nothing to be ashamed of, fnmag. How else do you explain a whole forum dedicated to flashlights?

So I guess no one here goes to movies, eh? Well if you do, I'd recommend seeing or renting Pan's Labyrinth. It sure beats watching "Norbit."

Burgess

Flashaholic
No Oscars for ME tonight.

I'm gonna' watch "Discovery Spoofs" on the Discovery Channel.

Always been a fan of good satire.

(something rarely seen in Hollywood) <wink>

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't plan on watching them, but I will say, even if it hasn't been a spectacular year for film overall, this is one of the first years in recent memory where every nominee for Best Film is a very decent movie. Most years, it always seems like there's at least one nominee in each major category that sticks out like a REALLY sore thumb.

Even worse is when that sore thumb wins.

In place of the Oscars, I'll try to watch the reissue of Legend and rewatch The Departed.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i watch a few seconds cause a elen d she is so funny.but all them people in the suits look like snobs.if i ever won a oscar id show up in a white hanes t shirt and some walmart jeans .and id ask em to turn off all the lights when i was on stage then id sneak off stage and leave the staue there painted blue

scooter

Newly Enlightened
powernoodle said:
powernoodle +1
Oscars = Hollywood = BFD :barf:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
carbine15 said:
i never thought ellen was funny.

I always liked her back in the day... Mid to late 80s on Comic Relief or whatever that Billy Crystal/Robin Williams/Whoppi Goldberg thing was. Truth be told, I used to kinda have a bit of a crush on her.

And now I think she's funny again on her talk show which I see about 5 times a year.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched part of it tonight before getting bored. :sleepy:
Some might think that I'm anti-Hollywood, but then again, I'm just a judgemental spectator. :laughing:

Danbo

Enlightened
Am I the only person who DIDN'T get "The Departed"?

I watched the movie, and didn't like it at all. Weird ending, is the best I can say. ???